Director: Joseph Goulet, Ph.D.
About the CREATE
In 2011, the Institute of Medicine reported that as many as one-third of all Americans experience persistent pain. The report also noted that Veterans are
an especially vulnerable group, with a particularly high prevalence for pain, and very high rates of other complex, multiple medical and mental health
This CREATE program has three specific goals:
Enhance Veterans' access to empirically validated and guideline-concordant pain care;
Leverage health information technology to promote better pain care for Veterans; and
Build sustainable improvements in pain care that are applicable beyond the life of the CREATE.
Each CREATE works closely with operational partners throughout the VA System. Partners for this program include the:
- VHA Pain Management: Rollin M. Gallagher, M.D., M.P.H., National Program Director
- Specialty Care Services: Leonard Pogach, M.D., Acting Chief Consultant
- Primary Care Services: Gordon Schectman, M.D., Chief Consultant
- Primary Care Clinical Operations: Richard Stark, M.D., Director
- Mental Health Services: Harold Kudler, M.D., Chief Consultant
- Mental Health Operations: David Carroll, Ph.D., Director
- Office of Analytics and Business Intelligence: Joseph Francis, M.D., M.P.H., Director, Clinical Analytics and Reporting
- VA New England Healthcare System (VISN 1): Michael Mayo-Smith, M.D., M.P.H., Network Director
- VA Connecticut Healthcare System: Gerald Culliton, Director
"One of the core principles that defines VA's transformation into a culture of Veteran-centered care is to "Provide for physical comfort and pain management." The aims of this CREATE are entirely consistent with our shared objectives of promoting a unified view of the patient, including a focus on prevention, reduction of risk, and maintenance of health and function. Projects will improve quality and clinical usefulness of pain screening; promote guideline concordant pain care, particularly safe and effective long-term opioid therapy; and provide important information on pain management to directly support the strategic plan of the National Pain Management Program Office and other patient care and operations partners."
- Rajiv Jain, M.D., Former Assistant Deputy USH for VA Patient Care Services