Caregivers are often family members or friends who provide assistance and support to Veterans who require care outside medical facilities. Important issues being studied include caregivers' preferences for support, how to improve their access to available resources, and the formal and informal costs associated with caregiving.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Caregiver". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 438 CAREGIVER focused publications)
- Warshaw H, Edelman D. Building Bridges Through Collaboration and Consensus: Expanding Awareness and Use of Peer Support and Peer Support Communities Among People With Diabetes, Caregivers, and Health Care Providers. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology. 2018 Nov 4.
- Van Houtven CH. [chvanhoutven]. Collaborating w/ The Poplar Bluff VAMC about ways to improve information flow, connections & diverse problem solving w/ the CONNECT intervention. Rollout of #iHIFIVES, the #Function_QUERI evidence-based clinical program for caregivers. #VAResearch @DurhamHSRD. Tweet. Durham, NC: Durham HSR&D COIN; 2018 Sep 26. Available from: https://twitter.com/chvanhoutven/status/1045065404891242496.
- Van Houtven CH. [chvanhoutven]. Fall is coming & so is the rollout of our evidence-based program: Helping Invested Families Improve Veteran Experiences (#iHIFIVES)! #Function_QUERI @DurhamHSRD is helping @VAPugetSound & Poplar Bluff VAMCs launch the caregiver training and support program by October. #VAResearch. Tweet. Durham, NC: Durham HSR&D COIN; 2018 Sep 19. Available from: https://twitter.com/DurhamHSRD/status/1042485931863928832.
- Fields B, Rodakowski J, James AE, Beach S. Caregiver health literacy predicting healthcare communication and system navigation difficulty. Families, systems & health : the journal of collaborative family healthcare. 2018 Dec 1; 36(4):482-492.
- Boucher NA, Bull JH, Cross SH, Kirby C, Davis JK, Taylor DH. Patient, Caregiver, and Taxpayer Knowledge of Palliative Care and Views on a Model of Community-Based Palliative Care. Journal of pain and symptom management. 2018 Dec 1; 56(6):951-956.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 20 CAREGIVER focused publication briefs)
- VA Experience with Implementing Intensive Primary Care Programs for Veterans at Highest Risk
This case study describes VA’s experience with implementing intensive primary care programs, as well as the program elements that appear to be necessary to meet the complex care needs of these high-risk Veterans. Findings showed that the PACT Intensive Management program (PIM) has been successfully implemented for more than three years at five demonstration sites in the VA healthcare system. The P...
Date: October 25, 2017
- Impact of Comprehensive Caregiver Support Program on VA Healthcare Utilization and Cost
The Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) supports caregivers of Veterans from the post-9/11 era who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) or supervision or protection because of the residual effect of injuries sustained during their service. A monthly stipend is provided to caregivers based on Veterans’ care needs. In this study, investigators examined...
Date: April 1, 2017
- Benefits for Veterans with Dementia who Participate in VA Program Integrating Healthcare and Community Services
This study tested the effectiveness of a telephone-based care-coordination program – Partners in Dementia Care (PDC) – that integrated healthcare and community services through structured coaching and support. PDC targeted both Veterans and their primary informal caregivers. Findings showed that compared to usual care, PDC was associated with significantly lower levels of self-reported adverse out...
Date: February 28, 2014
- Home Safety Intervention Improves Caregiver Competence for Individuals with Alzheimer’s Disease
This trial sought to give informal caregivers the knowledge and resources to prevent risky behaviors and accidents in the homes of persons with dementia of the Alzheimer’s type (DAT) or a related dementia. Investigators designed a Home Safety Toolkit that includes a booklet on high-frequency/high-severity risks for accidents and injuries in the home, and sample items (i.e., smoke alarm, night ligh...
Date: October 1, 2013
- Study Assesses VA/Alzheimer’s Association Care Coordination Program for Informal Caregivers of Veterans with Dementia
A new initiative targeting caregivers of Veterans with dementia is “Partners in Dementia Care” (PDC) — a care-coordination program delivered via a partnership between VA and Alzheimer’s Association chapters. This study assessed the effectiveness of the PDC program. Findings showed that the PDC program is a promising model that improves linkages between VA healthcare services and community services...
Date: August 1, 2013
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 47 CAREGIVER focused projects
|| Spanish Online & Telephone Intervention for Caregivers of Veterans with Stroke
|| Web-based Self-management Tool Targeting Patients and their Informal Caregivers
|| Trial Outcomes for Massage: Caregiver-Assisted vs. Therapist-Treated (TOMCATT)
|| Comparative Effectiveness of Delivery Methods for Caregiver Support and Education
|| Story-Call: E-Mobile Support for Community Dementia Caregivers
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Caregiver" publications displayed.
Management Briefs eBrief-no132 - Interventions to Support Caregivers or Families of Patients with TBI, PTSD, or Polytrauma
...as caregiver burden and psychological symptoms, caregiver interventions may be a promising approach. The positive impact of caregiver interventions...
Mobile Applications and Internet-based Approaches for Supporting Non-professional Caregivers
...chronic illnesses or disability, or by such patients who rely on a non-professional caregiver, affect outcomes for caregivers, patients, clinical...
Interventions to Support Caregivers or Families of Patients with TBI, PTSD, or Polytrauma: A Systematic Review
...employment, and financial security. Other systematic reviews have shown that some caregiver supportive services can reduce caregiver burden and...
Effectiveness of Family and Caregiver Interventions on Patient Outcomes among Adults with Cancer or Memory-Related Disorders
...typically aim to develop caregiver skills to manage their caregiving tasks and to reduce caregiver burden. An often implicit assumption in these...
Management Briefs eBrief-no31 - Interventions for Non-professional Caregivers of Individuals with Dementia
...a literature review to answer key questions on the effects of caregiver interventions on caregiver burden, mood, and the ability to manage problematic...
» View more Publications
The most recent "Caregiver" seminars are displayed.
Balance Dysfunction after mild TBI: Findings from the Chronic Effects of NeuroTrauma Consortium Longitudinal Study
|| Cifu, David
Interventions to Support Caregivers or Families of Patients with TBI, PTSD, or Polytrauma
|| Williams, Jr., John
Williams, Jr., John
Whole Health from the Perspective of VA Caregivers: Findings from a Photovoice Study
|| Urbina, Sharon
Advances in TBI Care Resulting from VA and TBI Model Systems Collaboration
|| Nakase-Richardson, Risa
The Role of Family Caregiving in Chronic Illness: Three Studies
|| Trivedi, Ranak
» View more Cyberseminars