Caregivers are often family members or friends who provide assistance and support to Veterans who require care outside medical facilities. Important issues being studied include caregivers' preferences for support, how to improve their access to available resources, and the formal and informal costs associated with caregiving.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Caregiver". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 419 CAREGIVER focused publications)
- Kales HC, Gitlin LN, Stanislawski B, Myra Kim H, Marx K, Turnwald M, Chiang C, Lyketsos CG. Effect of the WeCareAdvisor on family caregiver outcomes in dementia: a pilot randomized controlled trial. BMC geriatrics. 2018 May 10; 18(1):113.
- Shepherd-Banigan ME, Shapiro A, McDuffie JR, Brancu M, Sperber NR, Van Houtven CH, Kosinski AS, Mehta NN, Nagi A, Williams JW. Interventions That Support or Involve Caregivers or Families of Patients with Traumatic Injury: a Systematic Review. Journal of general internal medicine. 2018 May 7.
- Phelan SM, Bangerter LR, Friedemann-Sanchez G, Lackore KA, Morris MA, Van Houtven CH, Carlson KF, van Ryn M, Harden KJ, Griffin JM. The Impact of Stigma on Community Reintegration of Veterans With Traumatic Brain Injury and the Well-Being of Their Caregivers. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 2018 May 3; pii: S0003-9993(18):30277-6.
- Leggett AN, Polenick CA, Maust DT, Kales HC. Falls and Hospitalizations Among Persons With Dementia and Associated Caregiver Emotional Difficulties. The Gerontologist. 2018 Mar 19; 58(2):e78-e86.
- Winkler SL, Kelleher V. Virtual Safe Patient Handling and Mobility for Caregivers. Warrendale, PA: Association for Safe Patient Handling Professionals; 2018 Feb 14. Available from: http://www.asphp.org/feb-14-2018-archived-webinar/.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 20 CAREGIVER focused publication briefs)
- VA Experience with Implementing Intensive Primary Care Programs for Veterans at Highest Risk
This case study describes VA’s experience with implementing intensive primary care programs, as well as the program elements that appear to be necessary to meet the complex care needs of these high-risk Veterans. Findings showed that the PACT Intensive Management program (PIM) has been successfully implemented for more than three years at five demonstration sites in the VA healthcare system. The P...
Date: October 25, 2017
- Impact of Comprehensive Caregiver Support Program on VA Healthcare Utilization and Cost
The Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) supports caregivers of Veterans from the post-9/11 era who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) or supervision or protection because of the residual effect of injuries sustained during their service. A monthly stipend is provided to caregivers based on Veterans’ care needs. In this study, investigators examined...
Date: April 1, 2017
- Benefits for Veterans with Dementia who Participate in VA Program Integrating Healthcare and Community Services
This study tested the effectiveness of a telephone-based care-coordination program – Partners in Dementia Care (PDC) – that integrated healthcare and community services through structured coaching and support. PDC targeted both Veterans and their primary informal caregivers. Findings showed that compared to usual care, PDC was associated with significantly lower levels of self-reported adverse out...
Date: February 28, 2014
- Home Safety Intervention Improves Caregiver Competence for Individuals with Alzheimer’s Disease
This trial sought to give informal caregivers the knowledge and resources to prevent risky behaviors and accidents in the homes of persons with dementia of the Alzheimer’s type (DAT) or a related dementia. Investigators designed a Home Safety Toolkit that includes a booklet on high-frequency/high-severity risks for accidents and injuries in the home, and sample items (i.e., smoke alarm, night ligh...
Date: October 1, 2013
- Study Assesses VA/Alzheimer’s Association Care Coordination Program for Informal Caregivers of Veterans with Dementia
A new initiative targeting caregivers of Veterans with dementia is “Partners in Dementia Care” (PDC) — a care-coordination program delivered via a partnership between VA and Alzheimer’s Association chapters. This study assessed the effectiveness of the PDC program. Findings showed that the PDC program is a promising model that improves linkages between VA healthcare services and community services...
Date: August 1, 2013
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 46 CAREGIVER focused projects
|| Spanish Online & Telephone Intervention for Caregivers of Veterans with Stroke
|| Web-based Self-management Tool Targeting Patients and their Informal Caregivers
|| Trial Outcomes for Massage: Caregiver-Assisted vs. Therapist-Treated (TOMCATT)
|| Comparative Effectiveness of Delivery Methods for Caregiver Support and Education
|| Story-Call: E-Mobile Support for Community Dementia Caregivers
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Caregiver" publications displayed.
Management Briefs eBrief-no132 - Interventions to Support Caregivers or Families of Patients with TBI, PTSD, or Polytrauma
...symptoms, caregiver interventions may be a promising approach. The positive impact of caregiver interventions on caregiver distress aligns with...
Mobile Applications and Internet-based Approaches for Supporting Non-professional Caregivers
...chronic illnesses or disability, or by such patients who rely on a non-professional caregiver, affect outcomes for caregivers, patients, clinical...
Interventions to Support Caregivers or Families of Patients with TBI, PTSD, or Polytrauma: A Systematic Review
...financial security. Other systematic reviews have shown that some caregiver supportive services can reduce caregiver burden and mental distress...
Management Briefs eBrief-no31 - Interventions for Non-professional Caregivers of Individuals with Dementia
...to answer key questions on the effects of caregiver interventions on caregiver burden, mood, and the ability to manage problematic behavior, as...
Management Briefs eBrief-no70 - Effects of Caregiver Interventions on Outcomes for Memory-related Disorders or Cancer
...Management Briefs eBrief-no70 Effects of Caregiver Interventions on Outcomes for Memory-related Disorders or Cancer Management Brief no. 70...
» View more Publications
The most recent "Caregiver" seminars are displayed.
Balance Dysfunction after mild TBI: Findings from the Chronic Effects of NeuroTrauma Consortium Longitudinal Study
|| Walker, William
Interventions to Support Caregivers or Families of Patients with TBI, PTSD, or Polytrauma
|| Williams, Jr., John
Whole Health from the Perspective of VA Caregivers: Findings from a Photovoice Study
|| Urbina, Sharon
Advances in TBI Care Resulting from VA and TBI Model Systems Collaboration
|| Nakase-Richardson, Risa
The Role of Family Caregiving in Chronic Illness: Three Studies
|| Trivedi, Ranak
» View more Cyberseminars