Caregivers are often family members or friends who provide assistance and support to Veterans who require care outside medical facilities. Important issues being studied include caregivers' preferences for support, how to improve their access to available resources, and the formal and informal costs associated with caregiving.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Caregiver". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 441 CAREGIVER focused publications)
- Davis ML, Hendrickson J, Wilson N, Shrestha S, Amspoker AB, Kunik M. Taking Care of the Dyad: Frequency of Caregiver Assessment Among Veterans with Dementia. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2019 Apr 19.
- Nguyen JT, Roberts C, Thorpe CT, Thorpe JM, Hogan SL, McGregor J, Geryk L, Carpenter DM. Economic and objective burden of caregiving on informal caregivers of patients with systemic vasculitis. Musculoskeletal care. 2019 Mar 22.
- Hanson KT, Carlson KF, Friedemann-Sanchez G, Meis LA, Van Houtven CH, Jensen AC, Phelan SM, Griffin JM. Family caregiver satisfaction with inpatient rehabilitation care. PLoS ONE. 2019 Mar 15; 14(3):e0213767.
- Warshaw H, Edelman D. Building Bridges Through Collaboration and Consensus: Expanding Awareness and Use of Peer Support and Peer Support Communities Among People With Diabetes, Caregivers, and Health Care Providers. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology. 2019 Mar 1; 13(2):206-212.
- Van Houtven CH. [chvanhoutven]. Collaborating w/ The Poplar Bluff VAMC about ways to improve information flow, connections & diverse problem solving w/ the CONNECT intervention. Rollout of #iHIFIVES, the #Function_QUERI evidence-based clinical program for caregivers. #VAResearch @DurhamHSRD. Tweet. Durham, NC: Durham HSR&D COIN; 2018 Sep 26. Available from: https://twitter.com/chvanhoutven/status/1045065404891242496.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 20 CAREGIVER focused publication briefs)
- VA Experience with Implementing Intensive Primary Care Programs for Veterans at Highest Risk
This case study describes VA’s experience with implementing intensive primary care programs, as well as the program elements that appear to be necessary to meet the complex care needs of these high-risk Veterans. Findings showed that the PACT Intensive Management program (PIM) has been successfully implemented for more than three years at five demonstration sites in the VA healthcare system. The P...
Date: October 25, 2017
- Impact of Comprehensive Caregiver Support Program on VA Healthcare Utilization and Cost
The Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) supports caregivers of Veterans from the post-9/11 era who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) or supervision or protection because of the residual effect of injuries sustained during their service. A monthly stipend is provided to caregivers based on Veterans’ care needs. In this study, investigators examined...
Date: April 1, 2017
- Benefits for Veterans with Dementia who Participate in VA Program Integrating Healthcare and Community Services
This study tested the effectiveness of a telephone-based care-coordination program – Partners in Dementia Care (PDC) – that integrated healthcare and community services through structured coaching and support. PDC targeted both Veterans and their primary informal caregivers. Findings showed that compared to usual care, PDC was associated with significantly lower levels of self-reported adverse out...
Date: February 28, 2014
- Home Safety Intervention Improves Caregiver Competence for Individuals with Alzheimer’s Disease
This trial sought to give informal caregivers the knowledge and resources to prevent risky behaviors and accidents in the homes of persons with dementia of the Alzheimer’s type (DAT) or a related dementia. Investigators designed a Home Safety Toolkit that includes a booklet on high-frequency/high-severity risks for accidents and injuries in the home, and sample items (i.e., smoke alarm, night ligh...
Date: October 1, 2013
- Study Assesses VA/Alzheimer’s Association Care Coordination Program for Informal Caregivers of Veterans with Dementia
A new initiative targeting caregivers of Veterans with dementia is “Partners in Dementia Care” (PDC) — a care-coordination program delivered via a partnership between VA and Alzheimer’s Association chapters. This study assessed the effectiveness of the PDC program. Findings showed that the PDC program is a promising model that improves linkages between VA healthcare services and community services...
Date: August 1, 2013
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 51 CAREGIVER focused projects
|| Navigating Advanced Illness for Informal Caregivers of Ill Veterans
|| Spanish Online & Telephone Intervention for Caregivers of Veterans with Stroke
|| Web-based Self-management Tool Targeting Patients and their Informal Caregivers
|| Trial Outcomes for Massage: Caregiver-Assisted vs. Therapist-Treated (TOMCATT)
|| Comparative Effectiveness of Delivery Methods for Caregiver Support and Education
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Caregiver" publications displayed.
Management Briefs eBrief-no31 - Interventions for Non-professional Caregivers of Individuals with Dementia
...a literature review to answer key questions on the effects of caregiver interventions on caregiver burden, mood, and the ability to manage problematic...
Management Briefs eBrief-no70 - Effects of Caregiver Interventions on Outcomes for Memory-related Disorders or Cancer
...Management Briefs eBrief-no70 Effects of Caregiver Interventions on Outcomes for Memory-related Disorders or Cancer Management eBrief no. 70...
Management Briefs eBrief-no58 - Mobile Applications and Internet-based Approaches for Supporting Non-Professional Caregivers
...or disability, or by patients who rely on a non-professional caregiver, affect outcomes for caregivers, patients, clinical process measures, and...
Mobile Applications and Internet-based Approaches for Supporting Non-professional Caregivers
...chronic illnesses or disability, or by such patients who rely on a non-professional caregiver, affect outcomes for caregivers, patients, clinical...
Interventions to Support Caregivers or Families of Patients with TBI, PTSD, or Polytrauma: A Systematic Review
...employment, and financial security. Other systematic reviews have shown that some caregiver supportive services can reduce caregiver burden and...
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Caregiver" seminars are displayed.
Balance Dysfunction after mild TBI: Findings from the Chronic Effects of NeuroTrauma Consortium Longitudinal Study
|| Cifu, David
Interventions to Support Caregivers or Families of Patients with TBI, PTSD, or Polytrauma
|| Williams, Jr., John
Williams, Jr., John
Whole Health from the Perspective of VA Caregivers: Findings from a Photovoice Study
|| Urbina, Sharon
Advances in TBI Care Resulting from VA and TBI Model Systems Collaboration
|| Nakase-Richardson, Risa
The Role of Family Caregiving in Chronic Illness: Three Studies
|| Trivedi, Ranak
» View more Cyberseminars