Caregivers are often family members or friends who provide assistance and support to Veterans who require care outside medical facilities. Important issues being studied include caregivers' preferences for support, how to improve their access to available resources, and the formal and informal costs associated with caregiving.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Caregiver". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 411 CAREGIVER focused publications)
- Shepherd-Banigan M, Smith VA, Stechuchak KM, Miller KEM, Hastings SN, Wieland GD, Olsen MK, Kabat M, Henius J, Campbell-Kotler M, Van Houtven CH. Comprehensive Support for Family Caregivers of Post-9/11 Veterans Increases Veteran Utilization of Long-term Services and Supports: A Propensity Score Analysis. Inquiry : A Journal of Medical Care Organization, Provision and Financing. 2018 Jan 1; 55:46958018762914.
- Duan-Porter W, Van Houtven CH, Mahanna EP, Chapman JG, Stechuchak KM, Coffman CJ, Hastings SN. Internet Use and Technology-Related Attitudes of Veterans and Informal Caregivers of Veterans. Telemedicine journal and e-health : the official journal of the American Telemedicine Association. 2017 Dec 18; DOI: 10.1089/tmj.2017.0015.
- Aslakson RA, Dy SM, Wilson RF, Waldfogel J, Zhang A, Isenberg SR, Blair A, Sixon J, Lorenz KA, Robinson KA. Patient- and Caregiver-Reported Assessment Tools for Palliative Care: Summary of the 2017 Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Technical Brief. Journal of pain and symptom management. 2017 Dec 1; 54(6):961-972.e16.
- Van Houtven CH, Miller KEM, O'Brien EC, Wolff JL, Lindquist J, Kabat M, Campbell-Kotler M, Henius J, Voils CI. Development and Initial Validation of the Caregiver Perceptions About Communication With Clinical Team Members (CAPACITY) Measure. Medical care research and review : MCRR. 2017 Dec 1; 1077558717747985.
- Mavandadi S, Patel S, Benson A, DiFilippo S, Streim J, Oslin D. Correlates of Caregiver Participation in a Brief, Community-Based Dementia Care Management Program. The Gerontologist. 2017 Nov 10; 57(6):1103-1112.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 20 CAREGIVER focused publication briefs)
- VA Experience with Implementing Intensive Primary Care Programs for Veterans at Highest Risk
This case study describes VA’s experience with implementing intensive primary care programs, as well as the program elements that appear to be necessary to meet the complex care needs of these high-risk Veterans. Findings showed that the PACT Intensive Management program (PIM) has been successfully implemented for more than three years at five demonstration sites in the VA healthcare system. The P...
Date: October 25, 2017
- Impact of Comprehensive Caregiver Support Program on VA Healthcare Utilization and Cost
The Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) supports caregivers of Veterans from the post-9/11 era who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) or supervision or protection because of the residual effect of injuries sustained during their service. A monthly stipend is provided to caregivers based on Veterans’ care needs. In this study, investigators examined...
Date: April 1, 2017
- Benefits for Veterans with Dementia who Participate in VA Program Integrating Healthcare and Community Services
This study tested the effectiveness of a telephone-based care-coordination program – Partners in Dementia Care (PDC) – that integrated healthcare and community services through structured coaching and support. PDC targeted both Veterans and their primary informal caregivers. Findings showed that compared to usual care, PDC was associated with significantly lower levels of self-reported adverse out...
Date: February 28, 2014
- Home Safety Intervention Improves Caregiver Competence for Individuals with Alzheimer’s Disease
This trial sought to give informal caregivers the knowledge and resources to prevent risky behaviors and accidents in the homes of persons with dementia of the Alzheimer’s type (DAT) or a related dementia. Investigators designed a Home Safety Toolkit that includes a booklet on high-frequency/high-severity risks for accidents and injuries in the home, and sample items (i.e., smoke alarm, night ligh...
Date: October 1, 2013
- Study Assesses VA/Alzheimer’s Association Care Coordination Program for Informal Caregivers of Veterans with Dementia
A new initiative targeting caregivers of Veterans with dementia is “Partners in Dementia Care” (PDC) — a care-coordination program delivered via a partnership between VA and Alzheimer’s Association chapters. This study assessed the effectiveness of the PDC program. Findings showed that the PDC program is a promising model that improves linkages between VA healthcare services and community services...
Date: August 1, 2013
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 46 CAREGIVER focused projects
|| Spanish Online & Telephone Intervention for Caregivers of Veterans with Stroke
|| Web-based Self-management Tool Targeting Patients and their Informal Caregivers
|| Trial Outcomes for Massage: Caregiver-Assisted vs. Therapist-Treated (TOMCATT)
|| Comparative Effectiveness of Delivery Methods for Caregiver Support and Education
|| Story-Call: E-Mobile Support for Community Dementia Caregivers
» View more Studies
The most recent "Caregiver" seminars are displayed.
Interventions to Support Caregivers or Families of Patients with TBI, PTSD, or Polytrauma
|| Williams, Jr., John
Whole Health from the Perspective of VA Caregivers: Findings from a Photovoice Study
|| Urbina, Sharon
Advances in TBI Care Resulting from VA and TBI Model Systems Collaboration
|| Nakase-Richardson, Risa
The Role of Family Caregiving in Chronic Illness: Three Studies
|| Trivedi, Ranak
Comprehensive Support for Family Caregivers of Post-9/11 Veterans: Impact on Veteran Health Care Utilization and Costs
|| Smith, Valerie
Van Houtven, Courtney
» View more Cyberseminars