According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), chronic diseases are defined broadly as conditions that last one year or more and require ongoing medical attention or limit activities of daily living or both. Among the most common chronic diseases are chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s, certain cancers, and some types of liver disease. While some chronic disease cannot be reversed, many chronic diseases can be prevented entirely by modifying certain lifestyle habits.
VA health services research into chronic disease encompasses many aspects of care including access, delivery, prevention, and quality of life.
Search results were generated based on the search term " Chronic Disease". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 108 CHRONIC DISEASE focused publications)
- Bell SA, Horowitz J, Iwashyna TJ. Health Outcomes After Disaster for Older Adults With Chronic Disease: A Systematic Review. The Gerontologist. 2020 Sep 15; 60(7):e535-e547.
- Lin AM, Vickrey BG, Barry F, Lee ML, Ayala-Rivera M, Cheng E, Montoya AV, Mojarro-Huang E, Gomez P, Castro M, Corrales M, Sivers-Teixeira T, Tran JL, Johnson R, Ediss C, Shaby B, Willis P, Sanossian N, Mehta B, Dutta T, Razmara A, Bryg R, Song S, Towfighi A. Factors Associated With Participation in the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program: Findings From the SUCCEED Trial. Stroke. 2020 Oct 1; 51(10):2910-2917.
- Schuttner L, Wong ES, Rosland AM, Nelson K, Reddy A. Association of the Patient-Centered Medical Home Implementation with Chronic Disease Quality in Patients with Multimorbidity. Journal of general internal medicine. 2020 Oct 1; 35(10):2932-2938.
- Cohen-Mekelburg S, Kurlander J, Steppe E, Saini S. Bridging the Divide-Understanding Primary Care and Specialty Care Perspectives on Chronic Disease Co-management: a National Survey. Journal of general internal medicine. 2020 Jun 4.
- Schroeck FR, St Ivany A, Lowrance W, Makarov DV, Goodney PP, Zubkoff L. Patient Perspectives on the Implementation of Risk-Aligned Bladder Cancer Surveillance: Systematic Evaluation Using the Tailored Implementation for Chronic Diseases Framework. JCO oncology practice. 2020 Aug 1; 16(8):e668-e677.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 17 CHRONIC DISEASE focused publication briefs)
- Nurse Practitioners as Primary Care Providers May Be a High-Value Solution to Increasing Access to Care for All Veterans
Investigators in this study assessed patient outcomes between primary care nurse practitioners (NPs) and MDs, including utilization, costs, and quality of care – one year after patient reassignment to a new primary care provider (due to a Veteran’s prior MD PCP leaving VA). Findings showed that compared to Veterans newly assigned to MDs, those newly assigned to NPs were less likely to use primary ...
Date: April 1, 2020
- Veteran-Directed Care Adds to Options for Medically Complex Veterans Living in the Community – Without Raising Costs
One way in which VA facilitates independence and supports caregivers is through the Veteran-Directed Care (VDC) program, part of VA’s Office of Geriatrics and Extended Care Services. VDC enables enrollees to hire family members, friends, or neighbors as paid caregivers and also provides caregiver support, including caregiver training and burden monitoring. This study evaluated the incidence of VA ...
Date: June 1, 2019
- VA Geriatric Patient Aligned Care Teams Need Additional Mental Health Integration for Older Veterans
Geriatric Patient Aligned Care Teams (GeriPACT) provide healthcare for a subset of older Veterans with chronic disease, functional dependency, cognitive decline, and psychosocial challenges. This study examines mental healthcare integration within GeriPACT by describing the role of psychiatrists/psychologists to help inform geriatric mental health policy. Findings showed that mental health integra...
Date: September 13, 2018
- More Patient-Aligned Care Team Components Translates to Improved Quality of Care for Veterans with Chronic Disease
This study examined whether the extent to which clinics had implemented PACT components was associated with improvements in the quality of care for Veterans with chronic conditions over a four year period. Findings showed that over four years concurrent with PACT implementation, primary care clinics with the most PACT components in place had greater improvements in 5 of 7 chronic disease intermedi...
Date: November 20, 2017
- VA Experience with Implementing Intensive Primary Care Programs for Veterans at Highest Risk
This case study describes VA’s experience with implementing intensive primary care programs, as well as the program elements that appear to be necessary to meet the complex care needs of these high-risk Veterans. Findings showed that the PACT Intensive Management program (PIM) has been successfully implemented for more than three years at five demonstration sites in the VA healthcare system. The P...
Date: October 25, 2017
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 12 CHRONIC DISEASE focused projects
|| Management of HIV as a Chronic Disease
|| Automating Performance Metrics for Quality Improvement in Complex Chronic Disease
|| Modeling of Health Care Costs of Veterans with Chronic Diseases
|| The Chronic Disease Score in a VA Population
||Evaluation of a Mindfulness-Based Intervention for Gulf War Illness
» View more Studies
There are currently no spotlight features on this topic.
The most recent " Chronic Disease" seminars are displayed.
ESP Evidence Brief: Detection and Treatment of Dental Problems on Chronic Disease Outcomes
|| Veazie, Stephanie
Clinical Quality Indicators among Patients with Mental Illness Following the Implementation of a Patient Centered Medical Home
|| Browne, Kendall
Pharmacist-led Chronic Disease Management: A Systematic Review of Effectiveness and Harms Compared to Usual Care
|| Good, Chester
Disparities in Healthcare Quality Indicators among Adults with Mental Illness: A systematic review
|| Gierisch, Jennifer
Randomized Controlled Evaluation of an Intensive Management Patient Aligned Care Team (ImPACT) for High-Need, High-Cost Veterans Affairs Patients
|| Chee, Christine
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.