According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), chronic diseases are defined broadly as conditions that last one year or more and require ongoing medical attention or limit activities of daily living or both. Among the most common chronic diseases are chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s, certain cancers, and some types of liver disease. While some chronic disease cannot be reversed, many chronic diseases can be prevented entirely by modifying certain lifestyle habits.
VA health services research into chronic disease encompasses many aspects of care including access, delivery, prevention, and quality of life.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term " Chronic Disease". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 112 CHRONIC DISEASE focused publications)
- Schroeck FR, Ould Ismail AA, Perry GN, Haggstrom DA, Sanchez SL, Walker DR, Young J, Zickmund S, Zubkoff L. Determinants of Risk-Aligned Bladder Cancer Surveillance-Mixed-Methods Evaluation Using the Tailored Implementation for Chronic Diseases Framework. JCO oncology practice. 2022 Jan 1; 18(1):e152-e162.
- Greer AE, Faber M, Smith G, Pendley S, Kamdar N. Objectively measured chronic disease risk among food pantry patrons. Public health nursing (Boston, Mass.). 2021 Sep 1; 38(5):920-925.
- Marshall LW, Carrillo CA, Reyes CE, Thorpe CL, Trejo L, Sarkisian C. Evaluation of Recruitment of Older Adults of Color into a Community-Based Chronic Disease Self-Management Wellness Pathway Program in Los Angeles County. Ethnicity & disease. 2020 Nov 19; 30(Suppl 2):735-744.
- Bell SA, Horowitz J, Iwashyna TJ. Health Outcomes After Disaster for Older Adults With Chronic Disease: A Systematic Review. The Gerontologist. 2020 Sep 15; 60(7):e535-e547.
- Lin AM, Vickrey BG, Barry F, Lee ML, Ayala-Rivera M, Cheng E, Montoya AV, Mojarro-Huang E, Gomez P, Castro M, Corrales M, Sivers-Teixeira T, Tran JL, Johnson R, Ediss C, Shaby B, Willis P, Sanossian N, Mehta B, Dutta T, Razmara A, Bryg R, Song S, Towfighi A. Factors Associated With Participation in the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program: Findings From the SUCCEED Trial. Stroke. 2020 Oct 1; 51(10):2910-2917.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 17 CHRONIC DISEASE focused publication briefs)
- Nurse Practitioners as Primary Care Providers May Be a High-Value Solution to Increasing Access to Care for All Veterans
Investigators in this study assessed patient outcomes between primary care nurse practitioners (NPs) and MDs, including utilization, costs, and quality of care – one year after patient reassignment to a new primary care provider (due to a Veteran’s prior MD PCP leaving VA). Findings showed that compared to Veterans newly assigned to MDs, those newly assigned to NPs were less likely to use primary ...
Date: April 1, 2020
- Veteran-Directed Care Adds to Options for Medically Complex Veterans Living in the Community – Without Raising Costs
One way in which VA facilitates independence and supports caregivers is through the Veteran-Directed Care (VDC) program, part of VA’s Office of Geriatrics and Extended Care Services. VDC enables enrollees to hire family members, friends, or neighbors as paid caregivers and also provides caregiver support, including caregiver training and burden monitoring. This study evaluated the incidence of VA ...
Date: June 1, 2019
- VA Geriatric Patient Aligned Care Teams Need Additional Mental Health Integration for Older Veterans
Geriatric Patient Aligned Care Teams (GeriPACT) provide healthcare for a subset of older Veterans with chronic disease, functional dependency, cognitive decline, and psychosocial challenges. This study examines mental healthcare integration within GeriPACT by describing the role of psychiatrists/psychologists to help inform geriatric mental health policy. Findings showed that mental health integra...
Date: September 13, 2018
- More Patient-Aligned Care Team Components Translates to Improved Quality of Care for Veterans with Chronic Disease
This study examined whether the extent to which clinics had implemented PACT components was associated with improvements in the quality of care for Veterans with chronic conditions over a four year period. Findings showed that over four years concurrent with PACT implementation, primary care clinics with the most PACT components in place had greater improvements in 5 of 7 chronic disease intermedi...
Date: November 20, 2017
- VA Experience with Implementing Intensive Primary Care Programs for Veterans at Highest Risk
This case study describes VA’s experience with implementing intensive primary care programs, as well as the program elements that appear to be necessary to meet the complex care needs of these high-risk Veterans. Findings showed that the PACT Intensive Management program (PIM) has been successfully implemented for more than three years at five demonstration sites in the VA healthcare system. The P...
Date: October 25, 2017
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 12 CHRONIC DISEASE focused projects
|| Management of HIV as a Chronic Disease
|| Automating Performance Metrics for Quality Improvement in Complex Chronic Disease
|| Modeling of Health Care Costs of Veterans with Chronic Diseases
|| The Chronic Disease Score in a VA Population
||Evaluation of a Mindfulness-Based Intervention for Gulf War Illness
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample " Chronic Disease" publications displayed.
Evidence Brief: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual Trauma - Supplementary Materials
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction...Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction...Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction
Management Briefs eBrief-no81 -- Screening for Hepatocellular Cancer in Chronic Liver Disease
...for Hepatocellular Cancer in Chronic Liver Disease...for Hepatocellular Cancer in Chronic Liver Disease In the VA healthcare system...in the prevalence of cirrhosis from chronic hepatitis C infection with a corresponding
Management Briefs eBrief-no106 -- Pharmacist-Led Chronic Disease Management: Effectiveness and Harms Compared to Usual Care
...eBrief-no106 -- Pharmacist-Led Chronic Disease Management: Effectiveness and...Synthesis Program. Pharmacist-Led Chronic Disease Management: Effectiveness and...report found that pharmacist-led chronic disease management was generally similar
Impact of Disability and Health Benefits on Outcomes among Vietnam Veterans with Diabetes || In Progress
...is a disease that affects how the body uses blood sugar (glucose). Chronic diabetes
Detection and Treatment of Dentral Problems and Chronic Disease Outcomes Supplemental Materials
Treatment of Dentral Problems and Chronic Disease Outcomes Supplemental Materials...Treatment of Dentral Problems and Chronic Disease Outcomes Supplemental Materials...Treatment of Dental Problems on Chronic Disease Outcomes Supplementary Materials
» View more Publications
There are currently no spotlight features on this topic.
There are currently no videos for this topic.
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.