According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), chronic diseases are defined broadly as conditions that last one year or more and require ongoing medical attention or limit activities of daily living or both. Among the most common chronic diseases are chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s, certain cancers, and some types of liver disease. While some chronic disease cannot be reversed, many chronic diseases can be prevented entirely by modifying certain lifestyle habits.
VA health services research into chronic disease encompasses many aspects of care including access, delivery, prevention, and quality of life.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term " Chronic Disease". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 116 CHRONIC DISEASE focused publications)
- Essien UR, Lusk JB, Dusetzina SB. Cost-Sharing Reform for Chronic Disease Treatments as a Strategy to Improve Health Care Equity and Value in the US. JAMA health forum. 2022 Dec 2; 3(12):e224804.
- Voils CI, Gavin KL, Thorpe CT, Pabich SK, Reeve BB, Mian GJ, Faacks A, Kronish IM. Validating a Self-Reported Medication Nonadherence Measure in the Context of Multiple Chronic Diseases and Routes of Medication Administration Among Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Patient preference and adherence. 2022 Nov 17; 16:3119-3130.
- Haverhals LM, Magid K, Kononowech J, Levy CR. Applying the Tailored Implementation in Chronic Diseases Framework to Inform Implementation of the Preferences Elicited and Respected for Seriously Ill Veterans through Enhanced Decision-Making Program in the United States Veterans Health Administration. Frontiers in Health Services. 2022 Sep 2; DOI:10.3389/frhs.2022.935341.
- McGinty EE, Seewald NJ, Bandara S, Cerdá M, Daumit GL, Eisenberg MD, Griffin BA, Igusa T, Jackson JW, Kennedy-Hendricks A, Marsteller J, Miech EJ, Purtle J, Schmid I, Schuler MS, Yuan CT, Stuart EA. Scaling Interventions to Manage Chronic Disease: Innovative Methods at the Intersection of Health Policy Research and Implementation Science. Prevention Science : The Official Journal of The Society For Prevention Research. 2022 Sep 1.
- Schroeck FR, Ould Ismail AA, Perry GN, Haggstrom DA, Sanchez SL, Walker DR, Young J, Zickmund S, Zubkoff L. Determinants of Risk-Aligned Bladder Cancer Surveillance-Mixed-Methods Evaluation Using the Tailored Implementation for Chronic Diseases Framework. JCO oncology practice. 2022 Jan 1; 18(1):e152-e162.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 18 CHRONIC DISEASE focused publication briefs)
- Higher Preventive Health Inventory Use Associated with Improved Quality of Care
This study examined associations between Preventive Health Inventory (PHI) adoption and clinical quality measures at 216 VA primary care clinics nationwide that implemented the PHI and had the highest and lowest PHI use as of February 2021. Findings showed that higher uptake of the PHI was associated with improved quality of diabetes and hypertension care. Compared to the lowest use clinics, the h...
Date: April 17, 2023
- Nurse Practitioners as Primary Care Providers May Be a High-Value Solution to Increasing Access to Care for All Veterans
Investigators in this study assessed patient outcomes between primary care nurse practitioners (NPs) and MDs, including utilization, costs, and quality of care – one year after patient reassignment to a new primary care provider (due to a Veteran’s prior MD PCP leaving VA). Findings showed that compared to Veterans newly assigned to MDs, those newly assigned to NPs were less likely to use primary ...
Date: April 1, 2020
- Veteran-Directed Care Adds to Options for Medically Complex Veterans Living in the Community – Without Raising Costs
One way in which VA facilitates independence and supports caregivers is through the Veteran-Directed Care (VDC) program, part of VA’s Office of Geriatrics and Extended Care Services. VDC enables enrollees to hire family members, friends, or neighbors as paid caregivers and also provides caregiver support, including caregiver training and burden monitoring. This study evaluated the incidence of VA ...
Date: June 1, 2019
- VA Geriatric Patient Aligned Care Teams Need Additional Mental Health Integration for Older Veterans
Geriatric Patient Aligned Care Teams (GeriPACT) provide healthcare for a subset of older Veterans with chronic disease, functional dependency, cognitive decline, and psychosocial challenges. This study examines mental healthcare integration within GeriPACT by describing the role of psychiatrists/psychologists to help inform geriatric mental health policy. Findings showed that mental health integra...
Date: September 13, 2018
- More Patient-Aligned Care Team Components Translates to Improved Quality of Care for Veterans with Chronic Disease
This study examined whether the extent to which clinics had implemented PACT components was associated with improvements in the quality of care for Veterans with chronic conditions over a four year period. Findings showed that over four years concurrent with PACT implementation, primary care clinics with the most PACT components in place had greater improvements in 5 of 7 chronic disease intermedi...
Date: November 20, 2017
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 12 CHRONIC DISEASE focused projects
|| Management of HIV as a Chronic Disease
|| Automating Performance Metrics for Quality Improvement in Complex Chronic Disease
|| Modeling of Health Care Costs of Veterans with Chronic Diseases
|| The Chronic Disease Score in a VA Population
||Evaluation of a Mindfulness-Based Intervention for Gulf War Illness
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample " Chronic Disease" publications displayed.
Evidence Brief: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual Trauma - Supplementary Materials
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction...Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction...Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction
Impact of Disability and Health Benefits on Outcomes among Vietnam Veterans with Diabetes || In Progress
...is a disease that affects how the body uses blood sugar (glucose). Chronic diabetes
Management Briefs eBrief-no81 -- Screening for Hepatocellular Cancer in Chronic Liver Disease
...for Hepatocellular Cancer in Chronic Liver Disease...for Hepatocellular Cancer in Chronic Liver Disease In the VA healthcare system...in the prevalence of cirrhosis from chronic hepatitis C infection with a corresponding
Management Briefs eBrief-no106 -- Pharmacist-Led Chronic Disease Management: Effectiveness and Harms Compared to Usual Care
...eBrief-no106 -- Pharmacist-Led Chronic Disease Management: Effectiveness and...Synthesis Program. Pharmacist-Led Chronic Disease Management: Effectiveness and...report found that pharmacist-led chronic disease management was generally similar
Benefits and Harms of Cannabis in Chronic Pain or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: A Systematic Review
Benefits and Harms of Cannabis in Chronic Pain or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder:...Benefits and Harms of Cannabis in Chronic Pain or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder:...Benefits and Harms of Cannabis in Chronic Pain or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder:
» View more Publications
There are currently no spotlight features on this topic.
The most recent " Chronic Disease" seminars are displayed.
Using the Tailored Implementation in Chronic Diseases (TICD) Framework to Design Tailored Implementation Plans: A Methods Cyberseminar
|| Magid, Kate
Data-Driven Implementation Mapping for the Selection of Implementation Strategies: Case Example of Bladder Cancer Surveillance
|| Schroeck, Florian
Ould Ismail, A. Aziz
ESP Evidence Brief: Detection and Treatment of Dental Problems on Chronic Disease Outcomes
|| Veazie, Stephanie
Clinical Quality Indicators among Patients with Mental Illness Following the Implementation of a Patient Centered Medical Home
|| Browne, Kendall
Pharmacist-led Chronic Disease Management: A Systematic Review of Effectiveness and Harms Compared to Usual Care
|| Good, Chester
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.