VA HSR&D Research Topics: Depression
Depression (major depressive disorder or clinical depression) is a common but serious mood disorder. It causes severe symptoms that affect feelings, thoughts, and the ability to handle daily life activities. It’s estimated that 18.5% of service members returning from Iraq or Afghanistan have either post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or depression. VA conducts a wide variety of research that looks at depression treatment, prevention, and access to mental health services.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Depression". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1492 DEPRESSION focused publications)
- Lee AA, Aikens JE, Janevic MR, Rosland AM, Piette JD. Functional support and burden among out-of-home supporters of heart failure patients with and without depression. Health psychology : official journal of the Division of Health Psychology, American Psychological Association. 2019 Sep 19.
- Shensa A, Sidani JE, Escobar-Viera CG, Switzer GE, Primack BA, Choukas-Bradley S. Emotional support from social media and face-to-face relationships: Associations with depression risk among young adults. Journal of affective disorders. 2019 Aug 29; 260:38-44.
- Naik AD, Hundt NE, Vaughan EM, Petersen NJ, Zeno D, Kunik ME, Cully JA. Effect of Telephone-Delivered Collaborative Goal Setting and Behavioral Activation vs Enhanced Usual Care for Depression Among Adults With Uncontrolled Diabetes: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Network Open. 2019 Aug 2; 2(8):e198634.
- Leung LB, Escarce JJ, Yoon J, Sugar CA, Wells KB, Young AS, Rubenstein LV. High Quality of Care Persists With Shifting Depression Services From VA Specialty to Integrated Primary Care. Medical care. 2019 Aug 1; 57(8):654-658.
- Lipira L, Williams EC, Huh D, Kemp CG, Nevin PE, Greene P, Unger JM, Heagerty P, French AL, Cohn SE, Turan JM, Mugavero MJ, Simoni JM, Andrasik MP, Rao D. HIV-Related Stigma and Viral Suppression Among African-American Women: Exploring the Mediating Roles of Depression and ART Nonadherence. AIDS and behavior. 2019 Aug 1; 23(8):2025-2036.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 142 DEPRESSION focused publication briefs)
- Veterans with PTSD and/or Depression More Likely to Participate in Cardiac Rehabilitation than Veterans without These Disorders
This study sought to determine whether Veterans with depression and/or PTSD were more or less likely than those without depression or PTSD to participate in cardiac rehabilitation (CR) programs following hospitalization for heart attack or coronary revascularization. Findings showed that Veterans with PTSD and/or depression were more likely to participate in CR than Veterans without these mental h...
Date: June 4, 2019
- Substantial Variation in Opioid Prescribing Rates among ED Providers in the Same VA Healthcare Facility
The study team examined the extent to which variation in individual ED physicians’ opioid prescribing was independently associated with long-term opioid use in Veterans. Using VA data, investigators identified Veterans with an index ED visit at any VA facility in 2012 – and who were opioid naïve (without opioid prescriptions in the prior 6 months). Findings showed that there was a three-fold varia...
Date: May 29, 2019
- Post 9/11 Veterans Less Likely to Delay Mental Health Treatment
This study compared delay of treatment for PTSD, major depressive disorder (MDD), and/or alcohol-use disorder (AUD) among post-9/11 Veterans relative to pre-9/11 Veterans and civilians. Findings showed that post-9/11 Veterans were less likely than both pre-9/11 Veterans and civilians to delay mental health treatment for PTSD and depression. Median time to PTSD treatment was 2.5 years for post-9/11...
Date: March 7, 2019
- Brief Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Reduces Suicidal Ideation among Veterans with Chronic Illness
Brief cognitive behavioral therapy (bCBT) intervention delivered by VA mental health providers in primary care settings is effective for depression, anxiety, and improves physical health quality of life. Investigators in the current study determined the effect of bCBT on suicidal ideation among Veterans with cardiopulmonary chronic illness receiving mental health treatment in a VA primary care set...
Date: February 8, 2019
- Reduced Psychiatric Symptoms among Veterans Associated with More In-Person Social Contact but Not More Facebook Contact
This study sought to determine whether social contact on Facebook—or in-person—is associated with a lower risk of screening positive for psychiatric disorders or suicidality in Veterans. Findings showed that although Veterans who frequently use Facebook also are typically social in their offline life, it is their offline (in-person) social interaction – not their social contact on Facebook – that ...
Date: January 15, 2019
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 98 DEPRESSION focused projects
|| Pilot Study of Technology Assisted Depression Treatment Adherence
|| Brief Psychotherapy for Depression in Primary Care: Identifying Successful Clinical Practices
|| Improving Outcomes for Older Veterans with Chronic Back Pain and Depression
|| Telehealth Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Depression in Parkinson's Disease
|| Incorporating Treatment Outcomes into Quality Measurement of Depression Care
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Depression" publications displayed.
Management Briefs eBrief-no33 - Brief Psychotherapy for Depression in Primary Care
...Management Briefs eBrief-no33 Brief Psychotherapy for Depression in Primary Care Management eBrief no. 33 » Back to list of all Management...
Management Briefs eBrief-no80 - Computerized Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Adults with Depressive or Anxiety Disorders
...Treatment effects were smaller in studies of patients who were enrolled based on a positive depression symptom screen compared with studies of...
Management Briefs eBrief-no114 - Pharmacogenomics-guided Antidepressant Treatment versus Usual Care for Major Depressive Disorder
...medical comorbidities, depression symptomatology, depression severity and duration, history of antidepressant treatment resistance, concomitant...
Mapping the Evidence: Sex Effects in High-impact Conditions for Women Veterans - Depression, Diabetes, and Chronic Pain
...Depression, Diabetes, and Chronic Pain Mapping the Evidence: Sex Effects in High-impact Conditions for Women Veterans Depression, Diabetes,...
Determining the Efficacy of Psychotherapy for Treatment Resistant Depression
...Determining the Efficacy of Psychotherapy for Treatment Resistant Depression Determining the Efficacy of Psychotherapy for Treatment Resistant...
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Depression" seminars are displayed.
Mindfulness and Self-Compassion Interventions for Veterans
|| Kearney, David
Randomized Controlled Trial of Behavioral Activation for Depression and Suicidality in Primary Care
|| Funderburk, Jennifer
Hatha Yoga for Depression: Current Research, Future Directions, and Practical Advice
|| Uebelacker, Lisa
Precision Medicine in Mental Health Care (PRIME Care): Incorporating Implementation Science into a Large Scale RCT
|| Oslin, David
Systematic Review: Relationship of mTBI to PTSD, Depression, Substance Abuse, Suicidal Ideation, and Anxiety Disorders
|| Hoffman, Stuart
» View more Cyberseminars