VA HSR&D Research Topics: Depression
Depression (major depressive disorder or clinical depression) is a common but serious mood disorder. It causes severe symptoms that affect feelings, thoughts, and the ability to handle daily life activities. It’s estimated that 18.5% of service members returning from Iraq or Afghanistan have either post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or depression. VA conducts a wide variety of research that looks at depression treatment, prevention, and access to mental health services.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Depression". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1479 DEPRESSION focused publications)
- Apaydin E. Technology in the Clinical Care of Depression: Moving Beyond Face-to-Face Treatment. Let's Talk: The Experts Blog about Mental Health: The official online blog for Journal of Clinical Psychiatry [Internet]. 2019 Jan 30: Available from: https://www.cmeinstitute.com/pages/lets-talk.aspx?bid=188.
- Cohen LB, Taveira TH, Wu WC, Pirraglia PA. Pharmacist-led telehealth disease management for patients with diabetes and depression. Journal of telemedicine and telecare. 2019 Jan 28; 1357633X18822575.
- Flint KM, Fairclough DL, Spertus JA, Bekelman DB. Does heart failure-specific health status identify patients with bothersome symptoms, depression, anxiety and/or poorer spiritual well-being? European heart journal. Quality of care & clinical outcomes. 2019 Jan 11.
- Wong JJ, Sceats L, Dehghan M, Wren AA, Sellers ZM, Limketkai BN, Bensen R, Kin C, Park KT. Depression and Health Care Use in Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Journal of Crohn's & colitis. 2019 Jan 1; 13(1):19-26.
- Mathew SJ, Wilkinson ST, Altinay M, Asghar-Ali A, Chang LC, Collins KA, Dale RM, Hu B, Krishnan K, Kellner CH, Malone DA, Murrough JW, Ostroff RB, Sanacora G, Shao M, Anand A. ELEctroconvulsive therapy (ECT) vs. Ketamine in patients with Treatment-resistant Depression: The ELEKT-D study protocol. Contemporary clinical trials. 2019 Feb 1; 77:19-26.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 140 DEPRESSION focused publication briefs)
- Post 9/11 Veterans Less Likely to Delay Mental Health Treatment
This study compared delay of treatment for PTSD, major depressive disorder (MDD), and/or alcohol-use disorder (AUD) among post-9/11 Veterans relative to pre-9/11 Veterans and civilians. Findings showed that post-9/11 Veterans were less likely than both pre-9/11 Veterans and civilians to delay mental health treatment for PTSD and depression. Median time to PTSD treatment was 2.5 years for post-9/11...
Date: March 7, 2019
- Brief Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Reduces Suicidal Ideation among Veterans with Chronic Illness
Brief cognitive behavioral therapy (bCBT) intervention delivered by VA mental health providers in primary care settings is effective for depression, anxiety, and improves physical health quality of life. Investigators in the current study determined the effect of bCBT on suicidal ideation among Veterans with cardiopulmonary chronic illness receiving mental health treatment in a VA primary care set...
Date: February 8, 2019
- Reduced Psychiatric Symptoms among Veterans Associated with More In-Person Social Contact but Not More Facebook Contact
This study sought to determine whether social contact on Facebook—or in-person—is associated with a lower risk of screening positive for psychiatric disorders or suicidality in Veterans. Findings showed that although Veterans who frequently use Facebook also are typically social in their offline life, it is their offline (in-person) social interaction – not their social contact on Facebook – that ...
Date: January 15, 2019
- Comparisons between VA and Non-VA Hospitals May Not Accurately Account for Mental Health Diagnoses
While CMS publishes performance metrics on Hospital Compare, the risk-adjustment algorithms underlying these metrics are often unclear. Further, recently published literature questions whether existing risk-adjustment algorithms accurately adjust for mental health comorbidities. This study sought to determine whether current risk-adjustment algorithms fairly compare VA hospitals with non-federal h...
Date: December 14, 2018
- VA Geriatric Patient Aligned Care Teams Need Additional Mental Health Integration for Older Veterans
Geriatric Patient Aligned Care Teams (GeriPACT) provide healthcare for a subset of older Veterans with chronic disease, functional dependency, cognitive decline, and psychosocial challenges. This study examines mental healthcare integration within GeriPACT by describing the role of psychiatrists/psychologists to help inform geriatric mental health policy. Findings showed that mental health integra...
Date: September 13, 2018
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 98 DEPRESSION focused projects
|| Pilot Study of Technology Assisted Depression Treatment Adherence
|| Brief Psychotherapy for Depression in Primary Care: Identifying Successful Clinical Practices
|| Improving Outcomes for Older Veterans with Chronic Back Pain and Depression
|| Telehealth Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Depression in Parkinson's Disease
|| Incorporating Treatment Outcomes into Quality Measurement of Depression Care
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Depression" publications displayed.
Management Briefs eBrief-no33 - Brief Psychotherapy for Depression in Primary Care
...Management Briefs eBrief-no33 Brief Psychotherapy for Depression in Primary Care Management eBrief no. 33 » Back to list of all Management...
Management Briefs eBrief-no80 - Computerized Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Adults with Depressive or Anxiety Disorders
...Treatment effects were smaller in studies of patients who were enrolled based on a positive depression symptom screen compared with studies of...
Management Briefs eBrief-no32 - Comparative Effectiveness of Smoking Cessation Treatments for Patients with Depression
...found no differences by depression status (i.e., depression history vs. current depression). Question #3: Are there differential effects of smoking...
Management Briefs eBrief-no114 - Pharmacogenomics-guided Antidepressant Treatment versus Usual Care for Major Depressive Disorder
...medical comorbidities, depression symptomatology, depression severity and duration, history of antidepressant treatment resistance, concomitant...
Mapping the Evidence: Sex Effects in High-impact Conditions for Women Veterans - Depression, Diabetes, and Chronic Pain
...Depression, Diabetes, and Chronic Pain Mapping the Evidence: Sex Effects in High-impact Conditions for Women Veterans Depression, Diabetes,...
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Depression" seminars are displayed.
Hatha Yoga for Depression: Current Research, Future Directions, and Practical Advice
|| Uebelacker, Lisa
Precision Medicine in Mental Health Care (PRIME Care): Incorporating Implementation Science into a Large Scale RCT
|| Oslin, David
Systematic Review: Relationship of mTBI to PTSD, Depression, Substance Abuse, Suicidal Ideation, and Anxiety Disorders
|| Hoffman, Stuart
Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Improvement of Executive Function in Traumatic Brain Injury in Veterans
|| Adamson, Maheen Mausoof
Primary Care - Mental Health Integration: Improving Mental Health Care Access for VA Primary Care Patients
|| Leung, Lucinda
» View more Cyberseminars