Research on implementation science involves the study of methods to promote the systematic uptake of research findings into routine clinical practice in order to improve the quality and effectiveness of healthcare. An important concept of implementation is creating partnerships with clinical and operations teams at the outset of research projects. Examples of implementation studies include studying the effectiveness of brief alcohol counseling and, evaluating implementation of VA acute stroke care centers.
Search results were generated based on the search term "implementation". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1155 IMPLEMENTATION focused publications)
- Keating JA, Obasi C, McKinley L, Musuuza J, Knobloch MJ, Crnich C, Evans CT, Evans M, Livorsi D, Morgan DJ, Perencevich E, Reisinger HS, Schweizer ML, Suda KJ, Safdar N. Building Implementation Science for Veterans Affairs Healthcare Associated Infection Prevention: VA Healthcare-Associated Infection Prevention Network (VHIN). Infection control and hospital epidemiology. 2018 Apr 2; 1-5.
- Sullivan JL, Adjognon O, Shin M, Steffen M, Moye JA, Solimeo S. Report 2: GeriPACT Program Implementation and Organizational Factors Associated with GeriPACT Functioning and Performance. Boston: CHOIR; 2018 Mar 29. 25 p.
- Watson DP, Adams EL, Shue S, Coates H, McGuire A, Chesher J, Jackson J, Omenka OI. Defining the external implementation context: an integrative systematic literature review. BMC health services research. 2018 Mar 27; 18(1):209.
- Flash CA, Frost ELT, Giordano TP, Amico KR, Cully JA, Markham CM. HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis Program Implementation Using Intervention Mapping. American journal of preventive medicine. 2018 Feb 9; 54(4):519-529.
- Blonigen DM, Rodriguez AL, Manfredi L, Nevedal A, Rosenthal J, McGuire JF, Smelson D, Timko C. Cognitive-behavioral treatments for criminogenic thinking: Barriers and facilitators to implementation within the Veterans Health Administration. Psychological Services. 2018 Feb 1; 15(1):87-97.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 73 IMPLEMENTATION focused publication briefs)
- Medical Record Alert Associated with Reduced Opioid and Benzodiazepine Co-prescribing
This implementation project evaluated the effectiveness of an advanced medication alert designed to reduce opioid and benzodiazepine co-prescribing among Veterans with high-risk conditions (substance use disorder, sleep apnea, suicide risk, and age =65) at one VA healthcare system (VA Puget Sound). Findings showed that the proportions of patients with concurrent prescriptions decreased significant...
Date: December 28, 2017
- More Patient-Aligned Care Team Components Translates to Improved Quality of Care for Veterans with Chronic Disease
This study examined whether the extent to which clinics had implemented PACT components was associated with improvements in the quality of care for Veterans with chronic conditions over a four year period. Findings showed that over four years concurrent with PACT implementation, primary care clinics with the most PACT components in place had greater improvements in 5 of 7 chronic disease intermedi...
Date: November 20, 2017
- VA Experience with Implementing Intensive Primary Care Programs for Veterans at Highest Risk
This case study describes VA’s experience with implementing intensive primary care programs, as well as the program elements that appear to be necessary to meet the complex care needs of these high-risk Veterans. Findings showed that the PACT Intensive Management program (PIM) has been successfully implemented for more than three years at five demonstration sites in the VA healthcare system. The P...
Date: October 25, 2017
- Medical Care Supplement Features Articles by VA Researchers on Improving the Quality and Equity of Health and Healthcare
In 2016, HSR&D’s Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion (CHERP) and the Health Equity and Rural Outreach Innovation Center (HEROIC) hosted a state-of-the-science conference. This field-based meeting to “Engage Diverse Stakeholders and Operational Partners in Advancing Health Equity in the VA Healthcare System” brought together health equity investigators, representatives of vulnerable Vet...
Date: September 1, 2017
- PACT Initiative Did Not Reduce Most Disparities in Improved Hypertension or Diabetes Control among VA Patients
This study sought to determine whether PACTs helped mitigate national racial/ethnic disparities in VA clinical outcomes, after adjusting for variable implementation and social determinants of health. Findings showed that improvements in clinical outcomes for hypertension and diabetes control had not been achieved for whites or most racial/ethnic groups four years into VA’s system-wide roll-out of ...
Date: June 1, 2017
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 578 IMPLEMENTATION focused projects
|| Progressing towards implementation of lung cancer screening the VHA
|| Predicting implementation from organizational readiness to change
|| Developing an implementation program for weight loss in persons with SCI
||Comparative Effectiveness of Alternative Strategies for Monitoring Hospital Surgical Performance
||Promoting Effective, Routine and Sustained Implementation of Stress Treatments 2.0 (PERSIST 2.0)
» View more Studies
There are currently no videos for this topic.