VA HSR&D Research Topics: Quality Improvement: Performance Measures
Quality improvement comprises all aspects of the VA healthcare system—from organizational factors to one-on-one patient interactions. Investigators with VA’s Quality Enhancement Research Initiative had conducted groundbreaking work on quality improvement issues ranging from performance measures—that is, what key metrics can and should be assessed in order to provide Veterans with the best possible care— to evaluating the implementation and cost-effectiveness of VA healthcare programs and initiatives, and more.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Performance Measures". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 114 PERFORMANCE MEASURES focused publications)
- Thomas CP, Ritter GA, Harris AHS, Garnick DW, Freedman KI, Herbert B. Applying American Society of Addiction Medicine Performance Measures in Commercial Health Insurance and Services Data. Journal of addiction medicine. 2018 Jul 1; 12(4):287-294.
- Thomas RJ, Balady G, Banka G, Beckie TM, Chiu J, Gokak S, Ho PM, Keteyian SJ, King M, Lui K, Pack Q, Sanderson BK, Wang TY. 2018 ACC/AHA Clinical Performance and Quality Measures for Cardiac Rehabilitation: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Performance Measures. Circulation. Cardiovascular quality and outcomes. 2018 Apr 1; 11(4):e000037.
- Govindan S, Wallace B, Iwashyna TJ, Chopra V. Do Experts Understand Performance Measures? A Mixed-Methods Study of Infection Preventionists. Infection control and hospital epidemiology. 2018 Jan 1; 39(1):71-76.
- Jneid H, Addison D, Bhatt DL, Fonarow GC, Gokak S, Grady KL, Green LA, Heidenreich PA, Ho PM, Jurgens CY, King ML, Kumbhani DJ, Pancholy S. 2017 AHA/ACC Clinical Performance and Quality Measures for Adults With ST-Elevation and Non-ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Performance Measures. Circulation. Cardiovascular quality and outcomes. 2017 Oct 1; 10(10).
- Hanks D. Management eBrief-o: Use of Performance Measures as Criteria for Selecting Community Surgical Providers. 2017 Sep 26; 9(130).
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 39 PERFORMANCE MEASURES focused publication briefs)
- Systematic Review: Pay-for-Performance and VA Healthcare
Investigators sought to identify studies that examined the effects of pay-for-performance (P4P) on the quality of care and health of Veterans, including potential unintended consequences, as well as program design features and implementation factors important to P4P both within VA and in the community. Findings showed that overall, evidence is insufficient to determine whether P4P results in durab...
Date: July 1, 2018
- Identifying Best Strategies to Implement Patient-Centered Care
This paper describes a qualitative study of four early Centers of Innovation (VA medical centers considered early leaders in patient-centered care [PCC]) to inform VA leadership about how best to catalyze and sustain change across the system. Investigators identified seven domains that impacted PCC implementation: 1) leadership, 2) patient and family engagement, 3) staff engagement, 4) focus on PC...
Date: March 7, 2018
- Study Identifies which VA Mental Health Program Characteristics are Associated with Patient Satisfaction
This study examined the relationships between a set of patient satisfaction measures and a large collection of mental health program characteristics for Veterans with a recent mental health encounter in the VA healthcare system. Findings showed that broad measures of mental healthcare program reach (i.e., proportion of patients served) and intensity (i.e., number of visits) – and nearly all measur...
Date: May 19, 2017
- VA Diabetes and Cardiovascular Care Quality Comparable between Physicians and Advanced Practice Providers
This study assessed the effectiveness of diabetes and cardiovascular disease (CVD) care provided to Veterans in VA primary care by advanced practice providers (APPs) compared to physicians. Findings showed that the quality of diabetes and CVD care delivered in VA primary care settings was mostly comparable between physicians and APPs. However, a majority of Veterans with diabetes and CVD – irrespe...
Date: November 1, 2016
- Incorporating Health Status into Routine Care
This article describes the early efforts of VA’s Patient Reported Health Status Assessment (PROST) system to capture, report, and initiate clinical action in response to patient-reported health status measures, thereby improving the value of care delivered to Veterans undergoing elective percutaneous coronary intervention. Findings suggest that refocusing performance measures on health outcomes th...
Date: August 2, 2016
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 7 PERFORMANCE MEASURES focused projects
|| Using Data Integration and Predictive Analytics to Improve Diagnosis-Based Performance Measures
|| Implementation of Diabetes Performance Measures: Focus on Unintended Consequences
|| Guidelines to Performance Measures: Automating Quality Review for Heart Failure
|| Automated Data Acquisition for Heart Failure: Performance Measures and Treatment
|| Process Oriented, Validated Electronic Performance Measures Pilot Study
» View more Studies
There are currently no spotlight features on this topic.