Preventive care seeks to protect, promote, and maintain health and well-being, and prevent disease, disability, and death. Important issues being studied include how to best maintain health and prevent disease among Veterans by improving appropriate screening (i.e., colorectal cancer, alcohol use) and promoting healthy behaviors.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Prevent". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1244 PREVENTIVE CARE focused publications)
- Keating JA, Obasi C, McKinley L, Musuuza J, Knobloch MJ, Crnich C, Evans CT, Evans M, Livorsi D, Morgan DJ, Perencevich E, Reisinger HS, Schweizer ML, Suda KJ, Safdar N. Building Implementation Science for Veterans Affairs Healthcare Associated Infection Prevention: VA Healthcare-Associated Infection Prevention Network (VHIN). Infection control and hospital epidemiology. 2018 Apr 2; 1-5.
- van Epps P, Maier M, Lund B, Howren MB, Beck B, Beste L, Skolnik A, Vaughan-Sarrazin M, Ohl ME. Medication Adherence in a Nationwide Cohort of Veterans Initiating Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) to Prevent HIV Infection. Journal of acquired immune deficiency syndromes (1999). 2018 Mar 1; 77(3):272-278.
- Yap TL, Kennerly SM, Horn SD, Bergstrom N, Datta S, Colon-Emeric C. TEAM-UP for quality: a cluster randomized controlled trial protocol focused on preventing pressure ulcers through repositioning frequency and precipitating factors. BMC geriatrics. 2018 Feb 20; 18(1):54.
- Evans CT, Jump RL, Krein SL, Bradley SF, Crnich CJ, Gupta K, Perencevich EN, Vander Weg MW, Morgan DJ. Setting a Research Agenda in Prevention of Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs) and Multidrug-Resistant Organisms (MDROs) Outside of Acute Care Settings. Infection control and hospital epidemiology. 2018 Feb 1; 39(2):210-213.
- Livorsi DJ, Evans CT, Morgan DJ, Reisinger HS, Safdar N, Suda KJ, Perencevich EN. Setting the Research Agenda for Preventing Infections From Multidrug-Resistant Organisms in the Veterans Health Administration. Infection control and hospital epidemiology. 2018 Feb 1; 39(2):186-188.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 76 PREVENTIVE CARE focused publication briefs)
- VA Experience with Implementing Intensive Primary Care Programs for Veterans at Highest Risk
This case study describes VA’s experience with implementing intensive primary care programs, as well as the program elements that appear to be necessary to meet the complex care needs of these high-risk Veterans. Findings showed that the PACT Intensive Management program (PIM) has been successfully implemented for more than three years at five demonstration sites in the VA healthcare system. The P...
Date: October 25, 2017
- Veterans are Commonly Prescribed Statins for Indications Unsupported by Guidelines for Managing High Cholesterol
This study of new statin prescriptions in the VA healthcare system examined concordance with ATP-III guidelines (in force in 2102) and ACC-AHA guidelines (updated in 2013). Findings showed that Veterans were commonly prescribed statins for indications not supported by either the ATP-III or the ACC-AHA 2013 guidelines. Of Veterans receiving new statins for primary prevention, 48% did not meet ATP I...
Date: September 19, 2017
- Systematic Review of Suicide Risk Assessment and Prevention
This systematic review evaluated studies assessing the accuracy of methods to identify individuals at increased risk for suicide, and the effectiveness and adverse effects of healthcare interventions relevant to Veteran and military populations in reducing suicide and suicide attempts. Findings showed that suicide rates were reduced in 6 of 8 observational studies of various types of multiple-comp...
Date: June 15, 2017
- Meta-Analysis of Interventions to Prevent Suicide
This study conducted a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) that compared the efficacy of various interventions versus control to prevent death by suicide among adults. Of the studies included in this review, 29 RCTs reported on complex psychosocial interventions, with 3 reporting on the WHO Brief Intervention and Contact (BIC) intervention, which includes an educational session on...
Date: June 1, 2017
- Special Journal Issue Features Articles by HSR&D Researchers on Homelessness among Veterans
For more than two decades, VA has dedicated substantial resources to addressing homelessness among Veterans. Moreover, in the past five years VA has spent billions of dollars on a federal initiative to prevent and end homelessness among Veterans. This special issue of Psychological Services focuses on homelessness and includes several articles by HSR&D researchers....
Date: May 1, 2017
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 120 PREVENTIVE CARE focused projects
|| Development and Validation of 10-Year Life Expectancy Calculators to Individualize Veterans’ Prevention Decisions
|| Secondary Event Prevention using Population Risk Management After PCI
|| Risk Stratification and Tailoring of Prevention Programs
|| Preventing MRSA infections: a virtual comparative effectiveness model
|| Preventing Amputations by Tailored Risk-based Intervention to Optimize Therapy
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Prevent" publications displayed.
» View more Publications
There are currently no videos for this topic.
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.