Mental Health: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
More than one-third of Veterans returning from Iraq or Afghanistan and entering the VA healthcare system have received a mental health diagnosis. Research focuses on a variety of issues related to several mental health conditions affecting Veterans that range from PTSD and depression to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
Search results were generated based on the search term "PTSD". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1039 PTSD focused publications)
- Hall KS, Morey MC, Beckham JC, Bosworth HB, Pebole MM, Pieper CF, Sloane R. The Warrior Wellness Study: A Randomized Controlled Exercise Trial for Older Veterans with PTSD. Translational journal of the American College of Sports Medicine. 2018 Mar 15; 3(6):43-51.
- Blakey SM, Wagner HR, Naylor J, Brancu M, Lane I, Sallee M, Kimbrel NA, VA Mid-Atlantic MIRECC Workgroup, Elbogen EB. Chronic Pain, TBI, and PTSD in Military Veterans: a Link to Suicidal Ideation and Violent Impulses? The journal of pain : official journal of the American Pain Society. 2018 Mar 8.
- Fortney JC. VA Launches Telehealth Program for Rural Vets with PTSD. VA Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs News Release [Internet]. 2018 Mar 6:III(2018). Available from: https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=4018.
- Shepherd-Banigan M, Smith VA, Maciejewski ML, Stechuchak KM, Hastings SN, Wieland GD, Miller KEM, Kabat M, Henius J, Campbell-Kotler M, Van Houtven CH. The Effect of Support and Training for Family Members on Access to Outpatient Services for Veterans with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Administration and policy in mental health. 2018 Jan 27.
- Hundt NE, Helm A, Smith TL, Lamkin J, Cully JA, Stanley MA. Failure to Engage: A Qualitative Study of Veterans Who Decline Evidence-Based Psychotherapies for PTSD. Psychological Services. 2017 Dec 21; DOI: 10.1037/ser0000212.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 162 PTSD focused publication briefs)
- Evidence-based Psychotherapy Template Use Associated with Treatment Quality for Veterans with PTSD
This study measured the prevalence of evidence-based psychotherapy (EBP) templated notes in VA, testing the hypothesis that template use would be associated with quality of care for Veterans with PTSD. Findings showed that facility-level EBP template use was associated with a greater proportion of PTSD-diagnosed patients treated in specialty clinics, greater facility-level rates of diagnostic asse...
Date: September 30, 2017
- Benefits and Harms of Cannabis for PTSD
This systematic review sought to assess the effectiveness of plant-based cannabis use in patients with PTSD – and to identify ongoing studies in this area. Findings show that evidence is insufficient to draw conclusions about the benefits and harms of plant-based cannabis preparations in patients with PTSD, but ongoing studies may soon provide important results. ...
Date: September 5, 2017
- Higher Risk of Suicidal Ideation and Suicidal Self-Directed Violence following Discontinuation of Long-term Opioid Therapy
The primary objective of this study was to identify predictors of suicidal ideation (SI) and non-fatal suicidal self-directed violence (SSV) following clinician-initiated discontinuation of long-term opioid therapy. Findings showed that a substantial proportion of Veterans with substance use disorder diagnoses and similar matched patients experienced suicidal ideation or suicidal self-directed vio...
Date: July 1, 2017
- Study Identifies which VA Mental Health Program Characteristics are Associated with Patient Satisfaction
This study examined the relationships between a set of patient satisfaction measures and a large collection of mental health program characteristics for Veterans with a recent mental health encounter in the VA healthcare system. Findings showed that broad measures of mental healthcare program reach (i.e., proportion of patients served) and intensity (i.e., number of visits) – and nearly all measur...
Date: May 19, 2017
- Current Diagnosis of PTSD is Risk Factor for Pregnant Women
This analysis evaluated the associations between PTSD and antepartum complications to explore how PTSD’s pathophysiology impacts pregnancy in a large cohort of women Veterans. Findings showed that a current diagnosis of PTSD increases the risk of hypertensive/ischemic placental complications of pregnancy, specifically preeclampsia, and is a risk factor for gestational diabetes. PTSD also was assoc...
Date: May 1, 2017
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 223 PTSD focused projects
|| Improving Veteran Adherence to Treatment for PTSD through Partnering with Families
|| Validation of the PTSD Primary Care Screen
|| An RCT of a Primary Care-Based PTSD Intervention: Clinician-Supported PTSD Coach
|| Trauma-sensitive yoga for female Veterans with PTSD who experienced military sexual trauma
|| Dropout from Evidence-Based Therapy for PTSD: Reasons and Potential Interventions
» View more Studies
The most recent "PTSD" seminars are displayed.
Veterans’ experienced barriers to engagement in PTSD psychotherapy
|| Hundt, Natalie
VA PTSD Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Programs (PRRTPs): Lessons for Improving PRRTP Services for Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans with Severe PTSD
|| Slade, Eric
Prazosin for Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Comorbidities: Toward a Precision Medicine Approach
|| Raskind, Murray
Interventions to Support Caregivers or Families of Patients with TBI, PTSD, or Polytrauma
|| Williams, Jr., John
Magnetoencephalography as a Potential Imaging Marker for Mild TBI and PTSD
|| Huang, Mingxiong
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
- Learn more about the studies being conducted within HSR&D's PTSD CREATE (Collaborative Research to Enhance and Advance Transformation and Excellence) initiative.
- Learn more about the VA's Quality Enhancement Research Initiative PTSD Veterans Choice Act Evaluation project.
- Visit the VA's Office of Research & Development healthcare topic overview section to learn more about milestones in VA's PTSD research, read research updates, and download research fact sheets.