Mental Health: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
More than one-third of Veterans returning from Iraq or Afghanistan and entering the VA healthcare system have received a mental health diagnosis. Research focuses on a variety of issues related to several mental health conditions affecting Veterans that range from PTSD and depression to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
Search results were generated based on the search term "PTSD". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1071 PTSD focused publications)
- Karatzias T, Hyland P, Bradley A, Fyvie C, Logan K, Easton P, Thomas J, Philips S, Bisson JI, Roberts NP, Cloitre M, Shevlin M. Is Self-Compassion a Worthwhile Therapeutic Target for ICD-11 Complex PTSD (CPTSD)? Behavioural and cognitive psychotherapy. 2018 Oct 2; 1-13.
- Elbogen EB, Dennis PA, Van Voorhees EE, Blakey SM, Johnson JL, Johnson SC, Wagner HR, Hamer RM, Beckham JC, Manly T, Belger A. Cognitive Rehabilitation With Mobile Technology and Social Support for Veterans With TBI and PTSD: A Randomized Clinical Trial. The Journal of head trauma rehabilitation. 2018 Aug 30.
- Hundt NE, Smith TL, Fortney JC, Cully JA, Stanley MA. A qualitative study of veterans' mixed emotional reactions to receiving a PTSD diagnosis. Psychological Services. 2018 Jul 30.
- Owen JE, Kuhn E, Jaworski BK, McGee-Vincent P, Juhasz K, Hoffman JE, Rosen C. VA mobile apps for PTSD and related problems: public health resources for veterans and those who care for them. mHealth. 2018 Jul 26; 4:28.
- Pyne JM, Constans JI, Nanney JT, Wiederhold MD, Gibson DP, Kimbrell T, Kramer TL, Pitcock JA, Han X, Williams DK, Chartrand D, Gevirtz RN, Spira J, Wiederhold BK, McCraty R, McCune TR. Heart Rate Variability and Cognitive Bias Feedback Interventions to Prevent Post-deployment PTSD: Results from a Randomized Controlled Trial. Military medicine. 2018 Jul 18.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 166 PTSD focused publication briefs)
- Mantram Repetition Effective in Treatment of Veterans with PTSD
Mantram teaches people to intentionally slow down thoughts and to practice “one-pointed attention” by silently repeating a personalized mantram – a word or phrase with spiritual meaning. This study compared Mantram therapy to Present-Centered Therapy – a supportive, problem-solving, non-trauma-focused treatment for PTSD. Findings showed that among Veterans with PTSD, individually-delivered Mantram...
Date: June 20, 2018
- Medical Records Flag for Suicide Risk Increases VA Healthcare Visits among Veterans with Substance Use Disorder
VA has identified suicide prevention as a top priority and established policies to include high-risk suicide patient record flags (PRFs) in the electronic medical record to alert providers of patient risk and increase healthcare contacts. This study sought to identify predictors of new PRFs and to describe healthcare use before and after PRF initiation among VA patients who had received a substanc...
Date: June 8, 2018
- Evaluating Care Coordination Program for Pregnant Veterans
The VA Maternity Care Coordinator Telephone Care Program (MCC-TCP) was created to support MCCs and includes outlines to guide up to eight calls with Veterans on topics such as VA maternity care benefits, chronic health problems, substance use cessation, and depression and suicide screening. Investigators evaluated the program and assessed its feasibility, as well as facilitators and barriers to it...
Date: May 23, 2018
- VA Successfully Implements Interferon-free Treatment for Hepatitis C Virus in Previously Undertreated Patient Populations
This study examined the adoption of interferon-free treatment for hepatitis C virus (HCV) in VA to learn who received this therapy and whether the limitations of interferon-containing treatments have been overcome, including low rates of use among VA healthcare users who are African American or Hispanic, and among those with HCV-HIV co-infection. Findings showed that with the advent of interferon-...
Date: March 7, 2018
- Evidence-based Psychotherapy Template Use Associated with Treatment Quality for Veterans with PTSD
This study measured the prevalence of evidence-based psychotherapy (EBP) templated notes in VA, testing the hypothesis that template use would be associated with quality of care for Veterans with PTSD. Findings showed that facility-level EBP template use was associated with a greater proportion of PTSD-diagnosed patients treated in specialty clinics, greater facility-level rates of diagnostic asse...
Date: September 30, 2017
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 231 PTSD focused projects
|| Shared Contributions to Outcomes and Retention in EBPs for PTSD (SCORE PTSD)
|| Association of Complementary and Integrative Health (CHI) Interventions with Opioid Use and Related Risks Among Veterans With Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSD) and PTSD
|| Randomized Controlled Trial of AboutFace: A Novel Video Storytelling Resource to Improve Access, Engagement, and Utilization of Mental Health Treatment among Veterans with PTSD
|| Improving Veteran Adherence to Treatment for PTSD through Partnering with Families
|| Validation of the PTSD Primary Care Screen
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "PTSD" publications displayed.
» View more Publications
The most recent "PTSD" seminars are displayed.
Systematic Review: Relationship of mTBI to PTSD, Depression, Substance Abuse, Suicidal Ideation, and Anxiety Disorders
|| Hoffman, Stuart
Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for improvement of Executive Function in Traumatic Brain Injury in Veterans
|| Adamson, Maheen Mausoof
HSR&D Innovation Initiative Program RFA (Planning/Start Up Funds)
|| Paolicelli, Courtney
Development of a Mobile App to Improve the Cognitive Health of Veterans with Alcohol Use Disorder and PTSD
|| Heinz, Adrienne
Head Injury and PTSD in Veteran and Civilian Women Who Have Experienced Intimate Partner Violence: Implications for Screening and Intervention
|| Iverson, Kate
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
- Learn more about the studies being conducted within HSR&D's PTSD CREATE (Collaborative Research to Enhance and Advance Transformation and Excellence) initiative.
- Learn more about the VA's Quality Enhancement Research Initiative PTSD Veterans Choice Act Evaluation project.
- Visit the VA's Office of Research & Development healthcare topic overview section to learn more about milestones in VA's PTSD research, read research updates, and download research fact sheets.