Mental Health: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
More than one-third of Veterans returning from Iraq or Afghanistan and entering the VA healthcare system have received a mental health diagnosis. Research focuses on a variety of issues related to several mental health conditions affecting Veterans that range from PTSD and depression to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
Search results were generated based on the search term "PTSD". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1126 PTSD focused publications)
- Cerimele JM, LePoire E, Fortney JC, Hawrilenko M, Unützer J, Bauer AM. Bipolar disorder and PTSD screening and telepsychiatry diagnoses in primary care. General hospital psychiatry. 2020 Jul 1; 65:28-32.
- Davis LW, Schmid AA, Daggy JK, Yang Z, O'Connor CE, Schalk N, Do AL, Maric D, Lazarick D, Knock H. Symptoms improve after a yoga program designed for PTSD in a randomized controlled trial with veterans and civilians. Psychological trauma : theory, research, practice and policy. 2020 Apr 20.
- Hoerster KD, Tanksley L, Simpson T, Saelens BE, Unützer J, Black M, Greene P, Sulayman N, Reiber G, Nelson K. Development of a Tailored Behavioral Weight Loss Program for Veterans With PTSD (MOVE!+UP): A Mixed-Methods Uncontrolled Iterative Pilot Study. American Journal of Health Promotion : AJHP. 2020 Mar 12; 890117120908505.
- Bair MJ, Outcalt SD, Ang D, Wu J, Yu Z. Pain and Psychological Outcomes Among Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans with Chronic Pain and PTSD: ESCAPE Trial Longitudinal Results. Pain medicine (Malden, Mass.). 2020 Mar 9.
- Koenig HG, Youssef NA, Smothers Z, Oliver JP, Boucher NA, Ames D, Volk F, Teng EJ, Haynes K. Hope, Religiosity, and Mental Health in U.S. Veterans and Active Duty Military with PTSD Symptoms. Military medicine. 2020 Feb 12; 185(1-2):97-104.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 178 PTSD focused publication briefs)
- Proactive Outreach Helps Veterans with PTSD Overcome Barriers to Getting Treatment to Help Quit Smoking
Investigators identified participants with and without PTSD and evaluated a proactive outreach intervention for increasing treatment utilization and smoking abstinence among these Veterans. Findings showed that compared to usual care, proactive outreach increased combined counseling and nicotine replacement therapy use among Veterans with PTSD (19% vs 1%) and without PTSD (15% vs 2%). For the prim...
Date: July 2, 2020
- Both PTSD Symptoms and Moral Injury are Associated with Adverse Perinatal Outcomes among Women Veterans
This longitudinal study is the first to examine the impact of PTSD symptoms and moral injury on adverse perinatal outcomes among women who became pregnant in the first three years after separating from military service. Findings showed that after adjusting for age, racial/ethnic minority status, socioeconomic status, and lifetime trauma, both PTSD symptoms and moral injury were associated with adv...
Date: June 1, 2020
- Positive IPV Screen Significantly Associated with Health Outcomes and Healthcare Use among Women Veterans Over 45
This study examined the proportion of women older than childbearing age who screen positive when routinely screened for past-year intimate partner violence (IPV) at VA clinics, as well as associations of a positive screen with health conditions and use of healthcare services. Findings showed that of the study cohort, 255 middle-aged (45-59 years; 9%) and 79 older (60 years and older, 5%) women scr...
Date: April 21, 2020
- Rates of Mental Health Diagnoses are Higher among Veterans with Obesity
The objective of this study was to examine rates of mental health diagnoses among a national cohort of women and men VA primary care patients with and without obesity. Findings showed that rates of any mental health diagnosis were higher among women than men and people with versus without obesity.
Depression and PTSD diagnosis rates were higher for women and men with versus without obesity. For e...
Date: January 30, 2020
- VA Healthcare Benefits May Reduce Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Seeking Mental Health Treatment among Veterans
This study assessed whether racial/ethnic disparities in mental health treatment seeking for psychiatric conditions common in the Veteran population (PTSD, major depressive disorder, alcohol-use disorder or AUD) were attenuated for military Veterans compared to civilians, and whether attenuation was more pronounced among Veterans who had VA healthcare coverage in the past 12 months. Findings showe...
Date: January 27, 2020
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 274 PTSD focused projects
|| Changes in the Delivery of Evidenced Based Psychotherapies for Depression and PTSD as the Result of COVID-19 Pandemic
|| Does Choice Equal Quality? A Mixed-Methods Comprehensive Evaluation of the Quality of Community Care through the MISSION Act vs VA care for Veterans with PTSD, Depression and Chronic Pain
|| Is Protection of Disability Benefits Associated with Employment in Veterans with TBI and PTSD?
|| From Screening to Treatment: Mapping Access to Care Pathways for Veterans who Screen Positive for PTSD
|| Shared Contributions to Outcomes and Retention in EBPs for PTSD (SCORE PTSD)
» View more Studies
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "PTSD" seminars are displayed.
Coping with COVID 19: Virtual Resources for Patients and Providers
|| Becket-Davenport, Colleen
Access Expansions through Virtual Modalities: Research-Based Insights for the COVID-19 Pandemic and Beyond
|| Jones, Audrey
Playing Cards and Graphic Medicine: Connecting Veterans to Housing and Mental Health Services through Innovative, Veteran-Facing Products
|| Juhasz, Katherine
Chronic Symptoms after Mild TBI: Early Research Findings from LIMBIC-CENC & Clinical Approach to Optimize Patient Brain Health
|| Walker, William
Combat Exposure, PTSD, and Head Injuries Differentially Relate to Alterations in Cortical Thickness in Military Veterans
|| Clausen, Ashley
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
- Learn more about the studies being conducted within HSR&D's PTSD CREATE (Collaborative Research to Enhance and Advance Transformation and Excellence) initiative.
- Learn more about the VA's Quality Enhancement Research Initiative PTSD Veterans Choice Act Evaluation project.
- Visit the VA's Office of Research & Development healthcare topic overview section to learn more about milestones in VA's PTSD research, read research updates, and download research fact sheets.