VA HSR&D Research Topics: Quality Improvement
Quality improvement comprises all aspects of the VA healthcare system—from organizational factors to one-on-one patient interactions. Important issues being studied include improving surgical outcomes, assessing multiple factors that contribute to high-performance hospitals, and evaluating the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of VA healthcare programs and initiatives.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Quality". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 2971 QUALITY focused publications)
- Hyland P, Shevlin M, Cloitre M, Karatzias T, Vallières F, McGinty G, Fox R, Power JM. Quality not quantity: loneliness subtypes, psychological trauma, and mental health in the US adult population. Social psychiatry and psychiatric epidemiology. 2018 Oct 6.
- Diem SJ, Guthrie KA, Mitchell CM, Reed SD, Larson JC, Ensrud KE, LaCroix AZ. Effects of vaginal estradiol tablets and moisturizer on menopause-specific quality of life and mood in healthy postmenopausal women with vaginal symptoms: a randomized clinical trial. Menopause (New York, N.Y.). 2018 Oct 1; 25(10):1086-1093.
- Schmader KE, Levin MJ, Grupping K, Matthews S, Butuk D, Chen M, El Idrissi M, Fissette LA, Fogarty C, Hartley P, Klein NP, Nevarez M, Uusinarkaus K, Oostvogels L, Curran D. The impact of reactogenicity after the first dose of recombinant zoster vaccine upon the physical functioning and quality of life of older adults: an open phase III trial. The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences. 2018 Sep 25.
- Carey K, Zhao S, Snow AL, Hartmann CW. The relationship between nursing home quality and costs: Evidence from the VA. PLoS ONE. 2018 Sep 19; 13(9):e0203764.
- Zullig LL. Cancer Epidemiology and Cancer Care Quality Among VA Health Care System Patients. Cancer Epidemiologic Research in Understudied Populations Webinar Series [Cyberseminar]. National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences. 2018 Sep 19.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 204 QUALITY focused publication briefs)
- Veterans Receiving Prescriptions Through Both VA and Medicare Are More Likely to Be Taking Opioids and Benzodiazepines
This study sought to assess the association between receiving medications from both VA and Medicare Part D (dual use) and the receipt of overlapping opioid and benzodiazepine prescriptions. Findings showed that receiving prescription medications from both VA and Medicare Part D was associated with a 27% increased risk of overlapping opioids and benzodiazepines – and more than twice the risk of ove...
Date: October 9, 2018
- Men Using VA More Likely to Receive Appropriate Prostate Cancer Imaging Tests Compared to Those Using Medicare
This study sought to assess the association between the quality of healthcare within VA vs. Medicare, by comparing rates of guideline-concordant and guideline-discordant staging imaging among patients with newly diagnosed prostate cancer utilizing VA services only, Medicare only, or a combination of the two. Findings showed that among men with low-risk prostate cancer, the VA-only and VA-Medicare ...
Date: August 17, 2018
- Substantial Variation in Cardiovascular Mortality Rates across the VA Healthcare System
This study sought to determine whether there are substantial differences in cardiovascular outcomes across 138 VA medical centers. Findings showed that there is substantial variation in risk-standardized cardiovascular mortality rates across the VA healthcare system, suggesting differences in the quality of cardiovascular healthcare. Ischemic heart disease (IHD) annual death rates at the VAMC with...
Date: July 1, 2018
- Systematic Review: Pay-for-Performance and VA Healthcare
Investigators sought to identify studies that examined the effects of pay-for-performance (P4P) on the quality of care and health of Veterans, including potential unintended consequences, as well as program design features and implementation factors important to P4P both within VA and in the community. Findings showed that overall, evidence is insufficient to determine whether P4P results in durab...
Date: July 1, 2018
- No Decrease in Drinking among Veterans despite Alcohol-Related Nurse Care Management Intervention in Primary Care
The Choosing Healthier Drinking Options in Primary Care (CHOICE) intervention was designed to improve drinking outcomes by engaging Veterans at high risk for alcohol use disorders (AUDs) in patient-centered, alcohol-related care. Investigators in this study examined whether 12 months of alcohol care management via the CHOICE intervention – compared with usual primary care – improved drinking outco...
Date: May 1, 2018
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 285 QUALITY focused projects
|| Mitigating Racial/Ethnic and Socio-Economic Disparities in VA Care Quality and Patient Experience
|| Quality of Care for Justice-Involved Veterans: Gaps, Predictors, and Stakeholder-Driven Solutions
|| Investigating Multi-Level Determinants of Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Quality of End-of-Life Care for Veterans
||Kutney Lee, Ann
|| Benchmarking Hospital Quality: Template Matching versus Conventional Regression Approaches
|| Measuring, Mining and Understanding Communication Behaviors: Markers for Quality Healthcare
» View more Studies
The most recent "Quality" seminars are displayed.
ESP Report: Emergency Department Interventions for Older Adults
|| Williams, Jr., John
Hastings, Susan Nicki
Impact on High-cost Healthcare Utilization due to Changes in the Patient-centered Medical Home Implementation 2012 to 2015
|| Reddy, Ashok
VA Women’s Health Research Network: Accelerating Research Impacts and Advancing Learning Healthcare System Principles
|| Yano, Elizabeth
HSR&D Innovation Initiative Program RFA (Planning/Start Up Funds)
|| Paolicelli, Courtney
Tools to Improve Primary Care-Specialty Care Referrals in VHA
|| Vimalananda, Varsha
» View more Cyberseminars