Schizophrenia is a chronic and severe mental disorder in which individuals may seem to have lost touch with reality. Those diagnosed with schizophrenia may experience hallucinations, delusions, thought disorders, or agitated body movements. While not as common as other mental disorders, the symptoms can be very disabling. VA research into schizophrenia focuses on various aspects of the condition, including understanding factors that may predispose an individual to the condition; determining if combat deployments play a role in triggering the condition; increasing access to services; and improving health outcomes for Veterans with schizophrenia.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Schizophrenia". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 321 SCHIZOPHRENIA focused publications)
- Appaji A, Nagendra B, Chako DM, Padmanabha A, Hiremath CV, Jacob A, Varambally S, Kesavan M, Venkatasubramanian G, Rao SV, Webers CAB, Berendschot TTJM, Rao NP. Retinal vascular fractal dimension in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Journal of affective disorders. 2019 Aug 19; 259:98-103.
- Nuttall AK, Thakkar KN, Luo X, Mueser KT, Glynn SM, Achtyes ED, Kane JM. Longitudinal associations of family burden and patient quality of life in the context of first-episode schizophrenia in the RAISE-ETP study. Psychiatry Research. 2019 Jun 1; 276:60-68.
- Cohen AN, Pedersen ER, Glynn SM, Hamilton AB, McNagny KP, Reist C, Chemerinski E, Young AS. Preferences for family involvement among veterans in treatment for schizophrenia. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal. 2019 Sep 1; 42(3):210-219.
- Cohen AN, Rocchio R. Developing and Initial Testing of a Mobile App Delivering an Evidence-based Weight Management Program to Veterans with Schizophrenia: CoachToFit. Spotlight on Mental Health Centers of Excellence [Cyberseminar]. VA HSR&D. 2019 Feb 11.
- Cohen AN. Addressing Obesity in the Population with Schizophrenia. American Psychiatric Association; 2019 Jan 31. Available from: https://education.smiadviser.org/Users/ProductDetails.aspx?ActivityID=6451.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 20 SCHIZOPHRENIA focused publication briefs)
- Primary Care-Mental Health Integration Decreases Use of General Mental Health Services among Veterans with Mental Illness
This study examined the relationship between primary care clinic engagement in Primary Care-Mental Health Integration (PC-MHI) and patient use of different mental health services (MHS). Findings showed that there was increasing clinic engagement in PC-MHI services over time, accompanied by a reduction in general MHS visits – but no change in more specialized mental health services. Analyses showed...
Date: December 15, 2017
- Use of Clozapine for Veterans with Treatment-Resistant Schizophrenia Could Result in Significant Cost Savings
This cost-benefit analysis sought to simulate potential cost savings for VA that would result from increasing the use of clozapine among Veterans with treatment-resistant schizophrenia. Findings showed that modest increases in clozapine use could result in significant cost savings for VA. Among Veterans with treatment-resistant schizophrenia, VA would save $22,444 per Veteran over the first year o...
Date: June 15, 2016
- Barriers and Facilitators to Use of Clozapine for Treatment-Resistant Veterans with Schizophrenia
This study sought to identify facilitators and barriers to clozapine use – and to inform the development of interventions to maximize appropriate use. Findings showed that factors associated with high utilization of clozapine for Veterans with schizophrenia included: providing access to transportation for Veterans; having sufficient capacity to enroll patients; use of multi-disciplinary teams, inc...
Date: June 15, 2016
- Antipsychotics Prescribed to Substantial Minority of Veterans with PTSD without Bipolar Disorder or Schizophrenia
Given limited knowledge about the use of antipsychotics in Veterans with PTSD returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, this study examined the rates of antipsychotic use in this patient population. Findings showed that antipsychotics were prescribed to a substantial minority of OEF/OIF/OND Veterans with PTSD who did not also have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. Of the Veterans in thi...
Date: March 3, 2015
- Rates of Suicide Higher among Transgender Veterans
This study sought to document all-cause and suicide mortality among VA healthcare users with an ICD-9-CM diagnosis consistent with transgender status. Findings showed that the crude suicide rate among Veterans with transgender-related diagnoses across the 10-year study period was approximately 82/100,000 person-years, which approximated the crude suicide death rates for Veterans with serious menta...
Date: December 1, 2014
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 17 SCHIZOPHRENIA focused projects
|| Cost-Effectiveness of an Intervention to Improve Care for Schizophrenia
|| Improving Outcomes in Suicidal Veterans with Schizophrenia
|| Cardiovascular Morbidity and Mortality Among Veterans with Schizophrenia
|| Mechanisms of Patient Activation and Self-Management in Schizophrenia
|| Patterns of Late-Life Healthcare Among VA Patients with Schizophrenia
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Schizophrenia" publications displayed.
...HSR&D Impacts HSR&D Impacts Health Services Reserach and Development Service Impacts 2000 » Back to main Impacts page Aging and Age-Related Changes...
...HSR&D Impacts HSR&D Impacts Health Services Reserach and Development Service Impacts 1998 » Back to main Impacts page Aging and Age-Related Changes...
...HSR&D Impacts HSR&D Impacts Health Services Reserach and Development Service Impacts 1999 » Back to main Impacts page Aging and Age-Related Changes...
FORUM, July 2008: Access
...of care are necessary to improve care of chronic conditions, including depression, unipolar and bipolar disorders, and schizophrenia. Key components...
Fall 2016 FORUM
...of type 2 diabetes in individuals with schizophrenia, the hallmark SMI disorder, is 26 percent, while the rate in individuals with schizophrenia...
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics