Smoking leads to disease and disability. Conditions associated with smoking include cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and lung diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), (emphysema and chronic bronchitis). Smoking also increases risk for tuberculosis, certain eye diseases, and problems of the immune system, including rheumatoid arthritis. Within VA, research into smoking focuses on smoking-cessation intervention programs, education, and outreach; and improving the health outcomes of Veterans with smoking-related conditions.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Smoking". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 542 SMOKING focused publications)
- Monteiro AC, Suri R, Emeruwa IO, Stretch RJ, Cortes-Lopez RY, Sherman A, Lindsay CC, Fulcher JA, Goodman-Meza D, Sapru A, Buhr RG, Chang SY, Wang T, Qadir N. Obesity and smoking as risk factors for invasive mechanical ventilation in COVID-19: A retrospective, observational cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2020 Dec 22; 15(12):e0238552.
- Philibert R, Mills JA, Long JD, Salisbury SE, Comellas A, Gerke A, Dawes K, Vander Weg M, Hoffman EA. The Reversion of cg05575921 Methylation in Smoking Cessation: A Potential Tool for Incentivizing Healthy Aging. Genes. 2020 Nov 27; 11(12).
- Fu SS, Melzer AC. Helping Patients to Quit Smoking: New Approaches Needed. Chest. 2020 Nov 1; 158(5):1822-1823.
- Grenard DL, Valencia EJ, Brown JA, Winer RL, Littman AJ. Impact of Caregiving During Emerging Adulthood on Frequent Mental Distress, Smoking, and Drinking Behaviors: United States, 2015-2017. American journal of public health. 2020 Dec 1; 110(12):1853-1860.
- Christofferson DE, Dennis PA, Hertzberg JS, Beckham JC, Knoeppel J, Hamlett-Berry K. Real-world utilization and outcomes of the Veterans Health Administration's smoking cessation text message program. Nicotine & tobacco research : official journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco. 2020 Sep 18.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 24 SMOKING focused publication briefs)
- Older Age Strongest Risk Factor Associated with Mechanical Ventilation and Death among Veterans with COVID-19
This study sought to identify risk factors associated with hospitalization, mechanical ventilation, and death among patients with COVID-19 infection. Findings showed that Veterans who were COVID-positive were more likely to be Black (42% vs 25%), obese (45% vs 40%), and to live in states with a high burden of COVID-19 compared to Veterans who tested negative. Veterans who tested positive for COVID...
Date: September 23, 2020
- Proactive Outreach Helps Veterans with PTSD Overcome Barriers to Getting Treatment to Help Quit Smoking
Investigators identified participants with and without PTSD and evaluated a proactive outreach intervention for increasing treatment utilization and smoking abstinence among these Veterans. Findings showed that compared to usual care, proactive outreach increased combined counseling and nicotine replacement therapy use among Veterans with PTSD (19% vs 1%) and without PTSD (15% vs 2%). For the prim...
Date: July 2, 2020
- Unintentional Consequences of FDA Warnings: Varenicline
This study examined the association between FDA drug safety communications and the use of varenicline (Chantix) – a prescription drug used to treat addiction to smoking. Investigators tracked varenicline and nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) prescribing and evaluated the potential consequences of decreased varenicline use on lost opportunities to assist patients with quitting smoking and health o...
Date: September 4, 2019
- Preoperative Surgical Screening for Asymptomatic Bacteriuria is Not Beneficial
Strong evidence that preoperative screening for bacteria in the urine, and treatment with antibiotics if found to be positive, improves clinical outcomes is lacking. This study sought to measure the association between asymptomatic bacteriuria (ASB) and key postoperative infectious outcomes, including surgical-site infection (SSI) and UTI, and determine if directed antimicrobial therapy was associ...
Date: December 12, 2018
- Effects of Cannabis among Adults with Chronic Pain
This systematic review assesses the efficacy of cannabis for treating chronic pain, and provides a broad overview of the short- and long-term physical and mental health effects of cannabis use in chronic pain and general patient populations. Overall, investigators found low-strength evidence that cannabis may improve pain in some patients with neuropathic pain and insufficient evidence to characte...
Date: August 5, 2017
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 29 SMOKING focused projects
|| Developing a Team-Delivered Intervention for Smoking and Hazardous Drinking for Primary Care Veterans with Cardiovascular Diseases
|| A Personalized mHealth Approach to Smoking Cessation for Veterans Living with HIV
|| Pain-related Anxiety Intervention for Smokers with Chronic Pain: A Comparative Effectiveness Trial of Smoking Cessation Counseling for Veterans
|| Adjunctive Mood Management for Telephone-based Smoking Cessation in Primary Care
|| Integrating Smoking Cessation with Lung Cancer Screening
» View more Studies
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Smoking" seminars are displayed.
Pain, Alcohol, and Tobacco Smoking: Bidirectional Relations and Novel Treatment Considerations
|| Ditre, Joseph
Implementing Smoking Cessation into Delivery of Lung Cancer Screening
|| Zeliadt, Steven
Cigarette Smoking as a Risk Factor for Chronic Opioid Use
|| Bastian, Lori
Women Veterans in the Women's Health Initiative: Diseases and Conditions
|| Gray, Kristen
A Tobacco Risk Communication Intervention for Veterans Receiving Cancer Care: Preliminary Findings
|| Krebs, Paul
» View more Cyberseminars