Smoking leads to disease and disability. Conditions associated with smoking include cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and lung diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), (emphysema and chronic bronchitis). Smoking also increases risk for tuberculosis, certain eye diseases, and problems of the immune system, including rheumatoid arthritis. Within VA, research into smoking focuses on smoking-cessation intervention programs, education, and outreach; and improving the health outcomes of Veterans with smoking-related conditions.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Smoking". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 506 SMOKING focused publications)
- Hammett PJ, Nelson D, Burgess DJ, Fu SS, Pinsker EA. Population Smoking Characteristics and Cessation Behaviors in a Nationally Representative Cohort of Hispanic Veterans and Hispanic Non-Veterans. Military medicine. 2019 May 8.
- Dinardo MM, Sereika SM, Korytkowski M, Baniak LM, Weinzierl VA, Hoenstine AL, Chasens ER. Current Smoking: An Independent Predictor of Elevated A1C in Persons With Type 2 Diabetes. The Diabetes educator. 2019 Apr 1; 45(2):146-154.
- Kathuria H, Koppelman E, Borrelli B, Slatore CG, Clark JA, Lasser KE, Wiener RS. Patient-Physician Discussions on Lung Cancer Screening: A Missed Teachable Moment to Promote Smoking Cessation. Nicotine & tobacco research : official journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco. 2018 Nov 23.
- Donovan LM, Feemster LC, Billings ME, Spece LJ, Griffith MF, Rise PJ, Parsons EC, Palen BN, O'Hearn DJ, Redline S, Au DH, Kapur VK. Risk of Cardiovascular Disease Related to Smoking Is Greater Among Women With Sleep-Disordered Breathing. Journal of clinical sleep medicine : JCSM : official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. 2018 Nov 15; 14(11):1929-1935.
- Hammett PJ, Lando HA, Taylor BC, Widome R, Erickson DJ, Joseph AM, Clothier B, Fu SS. The relationship between smoking cessation and binge drinking, depression, and anxiety symptoms among smokers with serious mental illness. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2019 Jan 1; 194:128-135.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 21 SMOKING focused publication briefs)
- Preoperative Surgical Screening for Asymptomatic Bacteriuria is Not Beneficial
Strong evidence that preoperative screening for bacteria in the urine, and treatment with antibiotics if found to be positive, improves clinical outcomes is lacking. This study sought to measure the association between asymptomatic bacteriuria (ASB) and key postoperative infectious outcomes, including surgical-site infection (SSI) and UTI, and determine if directed antimicrobial therapy was associ...
Date: December 12, 2018
- Effects of Cannabis among Adults with Chronic Pain
This systematic review assesses the efficacy of cannabis for treating chronic pain, and provides a broad overview of the short- and long-term physical and mental health effects of cannabis use in chronic pain and general patient populations. Overall, investigators found low-strength evidence that cannabis may improve pain in some patients with neuropathic pain and insufficient evidence to characte...
Date: August 5, 2017
- Comparing Food Insecurity between Veterans and non-Veterans
This study examined the prevalence of food insecurity in an older male population. Findings showed that there was a significantly lower prevalence of food insecurity among male Veterans compared to non-Veterans (6% vs. 12%, respectively). Nevertheless, several factors predisposed male Veterans to a higher risk for being food insecure. Younger Veterans (aged 50-64) were more likely to be food insec...
Date: March 23, 2017
- Gender and Smoking Impact Severity of Musculoskeletal Pain among OEF/OIF Veterans
This study sought to examine gender differences in the association between cigarette smoking and moderate to severe musculoskeletal pain in Veterans of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Findings showed that both gender and current smoking status were significantly associated with increased odds of moderate to severe musculoskeletal pain. Male Veteran non-smokers were more likely than female Vetera...
Date: March 14, 2017
- OEF/OIF/OND Veterans that Currently Smoke More Likely to Receive Opioid Prescription than Non-Smokers
This study sought to determine if smoking status is associated with the receipt of opioids among OEF/OIF/OND Veterans – and to examine important covariates of smoking (i.e., current pain intensity, gender, and mental health diagnoses) and receipt of opioids. Findings showed that compared to non-smokers, OEF/OIF/OND Veterans who were current smokers were more likely to receive an opioid prescriptio...
Date: September 21, 2016
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 28 SMOKING focused projects
|| A Personalized mHealth Approach to Smoking Cessation for Veterans Living with HIV
|| Pain-related Anxiety Intervention for Smokers with Chronic Pain: A Comparative Effectiveness Trial of Smoking Cessation Counseling for Veterans
|| Adjunctive Mood Management for Telephone-based Smoking Cessation in Primary Care
|| Integrating Smoking Cessation with Lung Cancer Screening
|| Mixed-Methods Evaluation of Smoking Cessation in VHA HIV Care
» View more Studies
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Smoking" seminars are displayed.
Pain, Alcohol, and Tobacco Smoking: Bidirectional Relations and Novel Treatment Considerations
|| Ditre, Joseph
Implementing Smoking Cessation into Delivery of Lung Cancer Screening
|| Zeliadt, Steven
Cigarette Smoking as a Risk Factor for Chronic Opioid Use
|| Bastian, Lori
Women Veterans in the Women's Health Initiative: Diseases and Conditions
|| Gray, Kristen
A Tobacco Risk Communication Intervention for Veterans Receiving Cancer Care: Preliminary Findings
|| Krebs, Paul
» View more Cyberseminars