Smoking leads to disease and disability. Conditions associated with smoking include cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and lung diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), (emphysema and chronic bronchitis). Smoking also increases risk for tuberculosis, certain eye diseases, and problems of the immune system, including rheumatoid arthritis. Within VA, research into smoking focuses on smoking-cessation intervention programs, education, and outreach; and improving the health outcomes of Veterans with smoking-related conditions.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Smoking". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 497 SMOKING focused publications)
- Pacek LR, McClernon FJ, Bosworth HB. Adherence to Pharmacological Smoking Cessation Interventions: A Literature Review and Synthesis of Correlates and Barriers. Nicotine & tobacco research : official journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco. 2018 Sep 4; 20(10):1163-1172.
- Lynch SM, Wilson SM, DeRycke EC, Driscoll MA, Becker WC, Goulet JL, Kerns RD, Mattocks KM, Brandt CA, Bathulapalli H, Skanderson M, Haskell SG, Bastian LA. Impact of Cigarette Smoking Status on Pain Intensity Among Veterans With and Without Hepatitis C. Pain medicine (Malden, Mass.). 2018 Sep 1; 19(suppl_1):S5-S11.
- Seelig AD, Bensley KM, Williams EC, Armenta RF, Rivera AC, Peterson AV, Jacobson IG, Littman AJ, Maynard C, Bricker JB, Rull RP, Boyko EJ, Millennium Cohort Study Team. Longitudinal Examination of the Influence of Individual Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms and Clusters of Symptoms on the Initiation of Cigarette Smoking. Journal of addiction medicine. 2018 Sep 1; 12(5):363-372.
- Wilson SM, Newins AR, Medenblik AM, Kimbrel NA, Dedert EA, Hicks TA, Neal LC, Beckham JC, Calhoun PS. Contingency Management Versus Psychotherapy for Prenatal Smoking Cessation: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized, Controlled Trials. Women's health issues : official publication of the Jacobs Institute of Women's Health. 2018 Jul 27.
- Wilson SM, Thompson AC, Currence ED, Thomas SP, Dedert EA, Kirby AC, Elbogen EB, Moore SD, Calhoun PS, Beckham JC. Patient-Informed Treatment Development of Behavioral Smoking Cessation for People With Schizophrenia. Behavior Therapy. 2018 Jul 27; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2018.07.004.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 20 SMOKING focused publication briefs)
- Effects of Cannabis among Adults with Chronic Pain
This systematic review assesses the efficacy of cannabis for treating chronic pain, and provides a broad overview of the short- and long-term physical and mental health effects of cannabis use in chronic pain and general patient populations. Overall, investigators found low-strength evidence that cannabis may improve pain in some patients with neuropathic pain and insufficient evidence to characte...
Date: August 5, 2017
- Comparing Food Insecurity between Veterans and non-Veterans
This study examined the prevalence of food insecurity in an older male population. Findings showed that there was a significantly lower prevalence of food insecurity among male Veterans compared to non-Veterans (6% vs. 12%, respectively). Nevertheless, several factors predisposed male Veterans to a higher risk for being food insecure. Younger Veterans (aged 50-64) were more likely to be food insec...
Date: March 23, 2017
- Gender and Smoking Impact Severity of Musculoskeletal Pain among OEF/OIF Veterans
This study sought to examine gender differences in the association between cigarette smoking and moderate to severe musculoskeletal pain in Veterans of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Findings showed that both gender and current smoking status were significantly associated with increased odds of moderate to severe musculoskeletal pain. Male Veteran non-smokers were more likely than female Vetera...
Date: March 14, 2017
- OEF/OIF/OND Veterans that Currently Smoke More Likely to Receive Opioid Prescription than Non-Smokers
This study sought to determine if smoking status is associated with the receipt of opioids among OEF/OIF/OND Veterans – and to examine important covariates of smoking (i.e., current pain intensity, gender, and mental health diagnoses) and receipt of opioids. Findings showed that compared to non-smokers, OEF/OIF/OND Veterans who were current smokers were more likely to receive an opioid prescriptio...
Date: September 21, 2016
- Lung Cancer Screening Programs May Have Unintended Consequences on Beliefs about Smoking Cessation
This study aimed to learn from patients who were offered screening how the availability of screening influenced their motivations regarding smoking cessation. Findings showed that current smokers attached exaggerated personal benefits to lung cancer screening. Misperceptions about susceptibility to harms from tobacco can be reinforced and potentially exacerbated by screening due to existing cognit...
Date: September 1, 2015
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 27 SMOKING focused projects
|| Pain-related Anxiety Intervention for Smokers with Chronic Pain: A Comparative Effectiveness Trial of Smoking Cessation Counseling for Veterans
|| Adjunctive Mood Management for Telephone-based Smoking Cessation in Primary Care
|| Integrating Smoking Cessation with Lung Cancer Screening
|| Mixed-Methods Evaluation of Smoking Cessation in VHA HIV Care
|| Auriculotherapy for Smoking Cessation
» View more Studies
The most recent "Smoking" seminars are displayed.
Pain, Alcohol, and Tobacco Smoking: Bidirectional Relations and Novel Treatment Considerations
|| Ditre, Joseph
Implementing Smoking Cessation into Delivery of Lung Cancer Screening
|| Zeliadt, Steven
Cigarette Smoking as a Risk Factor for Chronic Opioid Use
|| Bastian, Lori
Women Veterans in the Women's Health Initiative: Diseases and Conditions
|| Gray, Kristen
A Tobacco Risk Communication Intervention for Veterans Receiving Cancer Care: Preliminary Findings
|| Krebs, Paul
» View more Cyberseminars