Substance Use Disorder: Smoking
Substance use disorders (SUD), including the abuse of alcohol, prescription medications, or opioids, can lead to significant negative consequences to an individual's mental and physical health, work performance, housing status, and social functioning. Important issues being studied include alcohol screening and brief counseling, SUD specialty care, and the treatment of common comorbidities (i.e., SUD and PTSD or SUD and chronic pain).
Search results were generated based on the search term "Smoking". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 492 SMOKING focused publications)
- Primack BA, Shensa A, Sidani JE, Tulikangas MC, Roberts MS, Colditz JB, Mor MK, James AE, Fine MJ. Comparison of toxicant load from waterpipe and cigarette tobacco smoking among young adults in the USA. Tobacco Control. 2018 May 16.
- Melzer AC, Pinsker EA, Clothier B, Noorbaloochi S, Burgess DJ, Danan ER, Fu SS. Validating the use of veterans affairs tobacco health factors for assessing change in smoking status: accuracy, availability, and approach. BMC medical research methodology. 2018 May 11; 18(1):39.
- Dedert EA, Dennis PA, Calhoun PS, Dennis MF, Beckham JC. A Randomized Clinical Trial of Nicotine Preloading for Smoking Cessation in People with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Journal of Dual Diagnosis. 2018 Apr 25.
- Trautner BW. Fluoroquinolones for urinary tract infection and within-household spread of resistant Enterobacteriaceae: the smoking gun. Clinical Microbiology and Infection : The Official Publication of The European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. 2018 Apr 9.
- Hammett P, Fu SS, Nelson D, Clothier B, Saul JE, Widome R, Danan ER, Burgess DJ. A Proactive Smoking Cessation Intervention for Socioeconomically Disadvantaged Smokers: The Role of Smoking-Related Stigma. Nicotine & tobacco research : official journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco. 2018 Feb 7; 20(3):286-294.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 20 SMOKING focused publication briefs)
- Effects of Cannabis among Adults with Chronic Pain
This systematic review assesses the efficacy of cannabis for treating chronic pain, and provides a broad overview of the short- and long-term physical and mental health effects of cannabis use in chronic pain and general patient populations. Overall, investigators found low-strength evidence that cannabis may improve pain in some patients with neuropathic pain and insufficient evidence to characte...
Date: August 5, 2017
- Comparing Food Insecurity between Veterans and non-Veterans
This study examined the prevalence of food insecurity in an older male population. Findings showed that there was a significantly lower prevalence of food insecurity among male Veterans compared to non-Veterans (6% vs. 12%, respectively). Nevertheless, several factors predisposed male Veterans to a higher risk for being food insecure. Younger Veterans (aged 50-64) were more likely to be food insec...
Date: March 23, 2017
- Gender and Smoking Impact Severity of Musculoskeletal Pain among OEF/OIF Veterans
This study sought to examine gender differences in the association between cigarette smoking and moderate to severe musculoskeletal pain in Veterans of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Findings showed that both gender and current smoking status were significantly associated with increased odds of moderate to severe musculoskeletal pain. Male Veteran non-smokers were more likely than female Vetera...
Date: March 14, 2017
- OEF/OIF/OND Veterans that Currently Smoke More Likely to Receive Opioid Prescription than Non-Smokers
This study sought to determine if smoking status is associated with the receipt of opioids among OEF/OIF/OND Veterans – and to examine important covariates of smoking (i.e., current pain intensity, gender, and mental health diagnoses) and receipt of opioids. Findings showed that compared to non-smokers, OEF/OIF/OND Veterans who were current smokers were more likely to receive an opioid prescriptio...
Date: September 21, 2016
- Lung Cancer Screening Programs May Have Unintended Consequences on Beliefs about Smoking Cessation
This study aimed to learn from patients who were offered screening how the availability of screening influenced their motivations regarding smoking cessation. Findings showed that current smokers attached exaggerated personal benefits to lung cancer screening. Misperceptions about susceptibility to harms from tobacco can be reinforced and potentially exacerbated by screening due to existing cognit...
Date: September 1, 2015
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 26 SMOKING focused projects
|| Pain-related Anxiety Intervention for Smokers with Chronic Pain: A Comparative Effectiveness Trial of Smoking Cessation Counseling for Veterans
|| Adjunctive Mood Management for Telephone-based Smoking Cessation in Primary Care
|| Integrating Smoking Cessation with Lung Cancer Screening
|| Mixed-Methods Evaluation of Smoking Cessation in VHA HIV Care
|| Auriculotherapy for Smoking Cessation
» View more Studies
The most recent "Smoking" seminars are displayed.
Pain, Alcohol, and Tobacco Smoking: Bidirectional Relations and Novel Treatment Considerations
|| Ditre, Joseph
Implementing Smoking Cessation into Delivery of Lung Cancer Screening
|| Zeliadt, Steven
Cigarette Smoking as a Risk Factor for Chronic Opioid Use
|| Bastian, Lori
Women Veterans in the Women's Health Initiative: Diseases and Conditions
|| Gray, Kristen
A Tobacco Risk Communication Intervention for Veterans Receiving Cancer Care: Preliminary Findings
|| Krebs, Paul
» View more Cyberseminars
- Visit the VA's Office of Research & Development healthcare topic overview section to learn more about milestones in VA's substance use disorders research, read research updates, and download research fact sheets.
- Access the Veterans Health Library to find out more information about smoking-cessation or other health conditions.
- Learn more about how to volunteer in VA-funded research studies.