Stroke occurs when something blocks blood supply to part of the brain, or when a blood vessel in the brain bursts. In either case, brain tissue becomes damaged or dies. A stroke can cause lasting brain damage, long-term disability, or result in death. There are two different types of stroke—ischemic, which occurs as a result of blockage by a blood clot; and hemorrhagic, which occurs when a blood vessel in the brain bursts. In VA, research into stroke focuses on everything from prevention to improving post-stroke health outcomes.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Stroke". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 860 STROKE focused publications)
- Echouffo-Tcheugui JB, Xu H, Matsouaka RA, Xian Y, Schwamm LH, Smith EE, Bhatt DL, Hernandez AF, Heidenreich PA, Fonarow GC. Diabetes and long-term outcomes of ischaemic stroke: findings from Get With The Guidelines-Stroke. European heart journal. 2018 Jul 1; 39(25):2376-2386.
- Liberman AL, Rostanski SK, Ruff IM, Meyer AND, Maas MB, Prabhakaran S. Inter-rater Agreement for the Diagnosis of Stroke Versus Stroke Mimic. The neurologist. 2018 Jul 1; 23(4):118-121.
- Sico JJ, Myers LJ, Fenton BJ, Concato J, Williams LS, Bravata DM. Association between admission haematocrit and mortality among men with acute ischaemic stroke. Stroke and vascular neurology. 2018 Sep 1; 3(3):160-168.
- Sico JJ, Miech EJ, Damush TM, Keating AB, Arling G, Phipps MS, Bravata DM. The Influence of Contextual Factors on Gaps in Hypertension Management for Veterans with TIA/Minor Stroke. [Abstract]. Stroke. 2018 Apr 8; 48(1):ATP206.
- Bravata DM, Myers LJ, Arling G, Miech EJ, Damush T, Sico JJ, Phipps MS, Zillich AJ, Yu Z, Reeves M, Williams LS, Johanning J, Chaturvedi S, Baye F, Ofner S, Austin C, Ferguson J, Graham GD, Rhude R, Kessler CS, Higgins DS, Cheng E. Quality of Care for Veterans With Transient Ischemic Attack and Minor Stroke. JAMA neurology. 2018 Apr 1; 75(4):419-427.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 23 STROKE focused publication briefs)
- Evidence Review Identifies Modest Mortality Disparities among Racial and Ethnic Minority Groups in VA Healthcare
To support VA’s efforts to better understand the scale and determinants of disparities in racial and ethnic mortality – and to develop interventions to reduce disparities, investigators from the VA Evidence-based Synthesis Program (ESP) Coordinating Center in Portland, OR conducted an evidence review of mortality disparities specific to VA. Findings showed that although VA’s equal access healthcar...
Date: March 1, 2018
- Systematic Review Finds Treating Blood Pressure to Current Guidelines in Older Adults Improves Health Outcomes
This systematic review sought to compare the effects of more versus less intensive blood pressure control in older adults. Findings showed that treating blood pressure in adults over 60 to at least current guideline standards (<150/90 mmHg) substantially improves health outcomes in older adults, including reducing mortality, stroke, and cardiac events. The most consistent and largest effects were ...
Date: March 21, 2017
- Use of Oral Anticoagulant Therapy for Veterans with Atrial Fibrillation Declines over 10-Year Period in VA Healthcare
Among patients with atrial fibrillation (AF), oral anticoagulants (OACs) are recommended when the risk of stroke is moderate or high, but not when the risk of stroke is low. This study sought to quantify trends and evaluate guideline adherence with OACs in Veterans with newly diagnosed AF over a ten-year period within the VA healthcare system. Findings showed that among Veterans with new AF and ad...
Date: June 21, 2016
- Study Compares Stroke Care in VA Community Living Centers with Private, VA-Contracted Nursing Homes
This study is part of a larger investigation comparing the use and functional outcomes between Veterans in VA community living centers (CLCs) and VA-contracted community nursing homes (CNHs). Findings showed that compared with Veterans residing at CNHs, Veterans residing at CLCs had fewer average rehabilitation therapy days (both adjusted and unadjusted), but were significantly more likely to rece...
Date: March 1, 2016
- Incident Stroke Associated with Accelerated and Persistent Cognitive Decline Over Six Years Post-Stroke
This prospective study measured changes in cognitive function among survivors of incident stroke, controlling for their pre-stroke cognitive trajectories. Findings showed that incident stroke was associated with an acute decline in cognitive function and accelerated and persistent cognitive decline over a median follow-up of six years. Incident stroke was associated with significant acute declines...
Date: July 7, 2015
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 63 STROKE focused projects
|| Spanish Online & Telephone Intervention for Caregivers of Veterans with Stroke
|| Hypertension Improvement Pilot Intervention in Post-Stroke Veterans
|| Utilizing the RESCUE Stroke Caregiver Website to Enhance Discharge Planning
|| e-Measurement of Meaningful Use Stroke Electronic Quality Indicators (MUSE-QI)
|| Integrating Tobacco, Drinking, and Depression into the STOP Stroke Tool
» View more Studies
There are currently no videos for this topic.
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.