Substance Use Disorders
A substance use disorder (SUD) is a condition in which an individual is impacted by the inability to control their intake of a substance such as legal (i.e., alcohol) or illegal drugs (i.e., heroin) or medications (i.e., prescription painkillers). Symptoms can range from mild dependence to severe addiction. Even those with mild SUD may experience a range of physical and psychological effects. Further, the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Mental Health estimate that half of individuals who experience a substance use disorder during their lives will also experience a co-occurring mental disorder and vice versa.
VA health services research addresses many aspects of substance use disorders including addiction, SUD treatment services, prescription management, and alternative pain management.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Substance Use Disorders". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 273 SUBSTANCE USE DISORDERS focused publications)
- Jones AL, Gelberg L, deRussy AJ, Varley AL, Riggs KR, Gordon AJ, Kertesz SG. Low Uptake of Secure Messaging Among Veterans With Experiences of Homelessness and Substance Use Disorders. Journal of addiction medicine. 2021 Nov 1; 15(6):508-511.
- Scott JC, Lynch KG, Cenkner DP, Kehle-Forbes SM, Polusny MA, Gur RC, Chen S, Foa EB, Oslin DW. Neurocognitive predictors of treatment outcomes in psychotherapy for comorbid PTSD and substance use disorders. Journal of consulting and clinical psychology. 2021 Nov 1; 89(11):937-946.
- Hayes CJ, Krebs EE, Li C, Brown J, Hudson T, Martin BC. Association between discontinuing chronic opioid therapy and newly diagnosed substance use disorders, accidents, self-inflicted injuries and drug overdoses within the prescribers' health care system: a retrospective cohort study. Addiction (Abingdon, England). 2022 Apr 1; 117(4):946-968.
- Haffajee RL, Faherty LJ, Zivin K. Pregnant Women with Substance Use Disorders - The Harm Associated with Punitive Approaches. The New England journal of medicine. 2021 Jun 24; 384(25):2364-2367.
- Schmidt EM, Wright D, Cherkasova E, Harris AHS, Trafton J. Evaluating and Improving Engagement in Care After High-Intensity Stays for Mental or Substance Use Disorders. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.). 2022 Jan 1; 73(1):18-25.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 31 SUBSTANCE USE DISORDERS focused publication briefs)
- JGIM Supplement Features VA Research on Improving Opioid Safety among Veterans with Chronic Pain and Addiction
In the fall of 2019, HSR&D convened a state-of-the-art (SOTA) conference – “Effective Management of Pain and Addiction: Strategies to Improve Opioid Safety” – to develop research priorities for advancing the science and clinical practice of opioid safety, including both the use of opioid analgesics and managing opioid use disorder (OUD). A group of researchers and VA clinical stakeholders defined ...
Date: December 1, 2020
- Racial and Ethnic Differences in Primary Care Experiences for Veterans with Mental Health and Substance Use Disorders
This study examined racial and ethnic differences in positive and negative experiences in VA Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) settings among Veterans with mental health or substance use disorders (MHSUDs) who completed VA’s 2013 PCMH Survey of Healthcare Experiences of Patients. Findings showed that positive experiences were reported least often for access. Negative experiences were reported m...
Date: June 20, 2016
- Military Sexual Trauma is Independent Risk Factor for Homelessness among Veterans, Particularly Male Veterans
This study examined the relationship between military sexual trauma (MST) and post-deployment homelessness among a large cohort of OEF/OIF Veterans, including whether the relationship varied by sex, and whether MST was a predictor of homelessness independent of other risk factors (i.e., mental health and/or substance use disorders). Findings showed that a positive MST screen was independently rela...
Date: June 1, 2016
- Veterans Exiting Prison Have Extensive Treatment Needs, Particularly for Mental Health and Substance Use Issues
This study determined incarcerated Veterans’ contact with VA healthcare in the year after a Health Care for Reentry Veterans (HCRV) visit (prior to release from prison), the prevalence of mental health and substance use disorder (SUD) diagnoses, and rates of mental health or SUD treatment entry and engagement in the first month after diagnosis. Findings showed that of the Veterans with an HCRV out...
Date: December 21, 2015
- Individual and Facility-Level Factors Associated with Higher Risk of Suicide Attempt among Veterans Receiving Opioid Therapy
This study examined the associations between the receipt of guideline-recommended care for opioid therapy and risk of suicide-related events, assessing associations between individual-level and facility-level delivery of recommended care, and individual-level suicide-related events. Findings showed that within 180 days following opioid prescription, 1.6% of the study population on chronic short-ac...
Date: July 1, 2015
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 15 SUBSTANCE USE DISORDERS focused projects
|| Post-Hospital Intervention for Veterans with Comorbid Bipolar and Substance Use Disorders
|| Collaborative Care Management for Complex, Recurrent Substance Use Disorders
|| Chronic Pain Management in Veterans with Co-occurring Substance Use Disorders
|| VA Healthcare Delivery for OEF/OIF Veterans with Mental & Substance Use Disorders
|| Access to Treatment and Outcomes for Veterans with Substance Use Disorders
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Substance Use Disorders" publications displayed.
Treating Substance Use Disorders in the Same Way We Treat Other Chronic Diseases || FORUM
...which focuses on substance use disorders. Substance use disorder (SUD) care is...making VA the largest SUD provider in the US. Evidence-based SUD prevention and treatment...Spring 2020 Substance Use Disorders » Back to Table of Contents Commentary Treating...Treating Substance Use Disorders in the Same Way We Treat Other Chronic Diseases
Director's Letter: Substance Use Disorders || FORUM
...which focuses on substance use disorders. Substance use disorder (SUD) care is...making VA the largest SUD provider in the US. Evidence-based SUD prevention and treatment...Spring 2020 Substance Use Disorders » Back to Table of Contents Director's Letter...made in substance use treatment, and research that is needed to get us there.
Substance Use Disorders || FORUM
...which focuses on substance use disorders. Substance use disorder (SUD) care is...making VA the largest SUD provider in the US. Evidence-based SUD prevention and treatment...Spring 2020 Substance Use Disorders Welcome to the Spring issue of HSR&D's FORUM...which focuses on substance use disorders. Substance use disorder (SUD) care is
The Cascade of Care Can Help Tailor Substance Use Disorder Interventions || FORUM
...which focuses on substance use disorders. Substance use disorder (SUD) care is...making VA the largest SUD provider in the US. Evidence-based SUD prevention and treatment...Spring 2020 Substance Use Disorders » Back to Table of Contents Response to...Cascade of Care Can Help Tailor Substance Use Disorder Interventions Christine Timko
Telehealth || FORUM
Programs and Those Who Adhere to the Use of Home Telehealth Technologies The...Utilization Among Veterans with Substance Use Disorders Video-Enabled Tablets Expand
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Substance Use Disorders" seminars are displayed.
Virtual Care Early-Career Investigator Series
|| Lin, Lewei (Allison)
Opioids, Addiction, and Pain: State of the Art in VA
|| Humphreys, Keith
A Feasibility Study of Mindful Self-Compassion for Veterans with Moral Injury and Co-Occurring PTSD and Substance Use Disorders
|| Eaton, Erica
Mindfulness and Self-Compassion Interventions for Veterans
|| Kearney, David
Systematic Review: Relationship of mTBI to PTSD, Depression, Substance Abuse, Suicidal Ideation, and Anxiety Disorders
|| Hoffman, Stuart
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.