Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is considered the "signature injury" of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. Among Veterans with clinician-diagnosed TBI, HSR&D researchers have found that mental illness, particularly PTSD, and pain are common comorbidities. HSR&D researchers study a variety of TBI-related issues including: healthcare utilization following TBI, impact of mild TBI on PTSD severity and alcohol use, and cognitive and visual impairment after TBI.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Traumatic Brain Injury". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 510 TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY focused publications)
- Bouldin ED, Swan AA, Norman RS, Tate DF, Tumminello C, Amuan ME, Eapen BC, Wang CP, Trevino A, Pugh MJ. Health Phenotypes and Neurobehavioral Symptom Severity Among Post-9/11 Veterans With Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: A Chronic Effects of Neurotrauma Consortium Study. The Journal of head trauma rehabilitation. 2021 Jan 1; 36(1):10-19.
- Eliacin J, Yang Z, Kean J, Dixon BE. Characterizing health care utilization following hospitalization for a traumatic brain injury: a retrospective cohort study. Brain injury. 2020 Dec 24; 1-11.
- Garcia A, Reljic T, Pogoda TK, Kenney K, Agyemang A, Troyanskaya M, Belanger HG, Wilde EA, Walker WC, Nakase-Richardson R. Obstructive Sleep Apnea Risk Is Associated with Cognitive Impairment after Controlling for Mild Traumatic Brain Injury History: A Chronic Effects of Neurotrauma Consortium Study. Journal of Neurotrauma. 2020 Sep 1.
- McGeary DD, Resick PA, Penzien DB, Eapen BC, Jaramillo C, McGeary CA, Nabity PS, Peterson AL, Young-McCaughan S, Keane TM, Reed D, Moring J, Sico JJ, Pangarkar SS, Houle TT, Consortium to Alleviate PTSD. Reason to doubt the ICHD-3 7-day inclusion criterion for mild TBI-related posttraumatic headache: A nested cohort study. Cephalalgia : an international journal of headache. 2020 Oct 1; 40(11):1155-1167.
- Mansi IA, English JL, Alvarez CA, Mortensen EM, Pugh MJ. Statins in survivors of traumatic brain injury: a propensity score-matched analysis. Brain injury. 2020 Aug 23; 34(10):1367-1374.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 16 TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY focused publication briefs)
- Evidence Review Identifies Modest Mortality Disparities among Racial and Ethnic Minority Groups in VA Healthcare
To support VA’s efforts to better understand the scale and determinants of disparities in racial and ethnic mortality – and to develop interventions to reduce disparities, investigators from the VA Evidence-based Synthesis Program (ESP) Coordinating Center in Portland, OR conducted an evidence review of mortality disparities specific to VA. Findings showed that although VA’s equal access healthcar...
Date: March 1, 2018
- Individual and Facility-Level Factors Associated with Higher Risk of Suicide Attempt among Veterans Receiving Opioid Therapy
This study examined the associations between the receipt of guideline-recommended care for opioid therapy and risk of suicide-related events, assessing associations between individual-level and facility-level delivery of recommended care, and individual-level suicide-related events. Findings showed that within 180 days following opioid prescription, 1.6% of the study population on chronic short-ac...
Date: July 1, 2015
- Penetrating Traumatic Brain Injury Strongly Associated with Risk of Epilepsy among OEF/OIF Veterans
This study examined the association between epilepsy and TBI, including penetrating TBI (pTBI), in OEF/OIF Veterans. Findings showed that epilepsy was associated with previous TBI diagnosis. The estimated risk of epilepsy among Veterans with pTBI was nearly 18 times greater than among those without TBI, even after controlling for other factors. When examined separately, risk for epilepsy was also ...
Date: April 1, 2014
- Traumatic Brain Injury during Most Recent Deployment Strongest Predictor of Post-Deployment PTSD
Investigators in this study examined whether deployment-related TBI predicts PTSD symptom severity when accounting for combat intensity and pre-deployment characteristics. Findings showed that, at the pre-deployment assessment, 57% of service members reported prior TBI; at post-deployment assessment, 20% reported deployment-related TBI. Even when accounting for pre-deployment psychiatric symptoms,...
Date: December 11, 2013
- Low Rates of VA Vocational Service Use among OEF/OIF Veterans with Mental Health Conditions
This study assessed nationwide patterns of supported employment and vocational service use among OEF/OIF Veterans with the top four mental health conditions: PTSD, depression, substance use disorder, or traumatic brain injury (TBI). Findings showed that of the Veterans with mental health diagnoses included in this study, only 8% had a vocational services encounter during the study period, with 2% ...
Date: August 1, 2013
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 83 TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY focused projects
|| Community Care Utilization among Post-9/11 Veterans with Traumatic Brain Injury
||Carlson , Kathleen
|| Is Protection of Disability Benefits Associated with Employment in Veterans with TBI and PTSD?
|| Health Outcomes Associated with TBI Screening
|| Coalition Building to Implement Evidenced Based Resource Facilitation and Increase Access to Community Support Services for Veterans with TBI
|| Improving Access to Supported Employment for Veterans with Polytrauma/Traumatic Brain Injury
» View more Studies
Read more on this topic and related topics