Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is considered the "signature injury" of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. Among Veterans with clinician-diagnosed TBI, HSR&D researchers have found that mental illness, particularly PTSD, and pain are common comorbidities. HSR&D researchers study a variety of TBI-related issues including: healthcare utilization following TBI, impact of mild TBI on PTSD severity and alcohol use, and cognitive and visual impairment after TBI.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Traumatic Brain Injury". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 490 TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY focused publications)
- Greer N, Sayer NA, Spoont M, Taylor BC, Ackland PE, MacDonald R, McKenzie L, Rosebush C, Wilt TJ. Prevalence and Severity of Psychiatric Disorders and Suicidal Behavior in Service Members and Veterans With and Without Traumatic Brain Injury: Systematic Review. The Journal of head trauma rehabilitation. 2020 Jan 1; 35(1):1-13.
- McFarlane TD, Love J, Hanley S, Dixon BE, Hammond FM. Increased Risk of Stroke Among Young Adults With Serious Traumatic Brain Injury. The Journal of head trauma rehabilitation. 2019 Nov 8.
- Elbogen EB, Alsobrooks A, Battles S, Molloy K, Dennis PA, Beckham JC, McLean SA, Keith JR, Russoniello C. Mobile Neurofeedback for Pain Management in Veterans with TBI and PTSD. Pain medicine (Malden, Mass.). 2019 Nov 7.
- Swan AA, Nelson JT, Pogoda TK, Akin FW, Riska KM, Hall CD, Amuan ME, Yaffe K, Pugh MJ, Chronic Effects of Neurotrauma Consortium. Association of Traumatic Brain Injury With Vestibular Dysfunction and Dizziness in Post-9/11 Veterans. The Journal of head trauma rehabilitation. 2019 Sep 27.
- Pugh MJ, Swan AA, Amuan ME, Eapen BC, Jaramillo CA, Delgado R, Tate DF, Yaffe K, Wang CP. Deployment, suicide, and overdose among comorbidity phenotypes following mild traumatic brain injury: A retrospective cohort study from the Chronic Effects of Neurotrauma Consortium. PLoS ONE. 2019 Sep 20; 14(9):e0222674.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 16 TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY focused publication briefs)
- Evidence Review Identifies Modest Mortality Disparities among Racial and Ethnic Minority Groups in VA Healthcare
To support VA’s efforts to better understand the scale and determinants of disparities in racial and ethnic mortality – and to develop interventions to reduce disparities, investigators from the VA Evidence-based Synthesis Program (ESP) Coordinating Center in Portland, OR conducted an evidence review of mortality disparities specific to VA. Findings showed that although VA’s equal access healthcar...
Date: March 1, 2018
- Individual and Facility-Level Factors Associated with Higher Risk of Suicide Attempt among Veterans Receiving Opioid Therapy
This study examined the associations between the receipt of guideline-recommended care for opioid therapy and risk of suicide-related events, assessing associations between individual-level and facility-level delivery of recommended care, and individual-level suicide-related events. Findings showed that within 180 days following opioid prescription, 1.6% of the study population on chronic short-ac...
Date: July 1, 2015
- Penetrating Traumatic Brain Injury Strongly Associated with Risk of Epilepsy among OEF/OIF Veterans
This study examined the association between epilepsy and TBI, including penetrating TBI (pTBI), in OEF/OIF Veterans. Findings showed that epilepsy was associated with previous TBI diagnosis. The estimated risk of epilepsy among Veterans with pTBI was nearly 18 times greater than among those without TBI, even after controlling for other factors. When examined separately, risk for epilepsy was also ...
Date: April 1, 2014
- Traumatic Brain Injury during Most Recent Deployment Strongest Predictor of Post-Deployment PTSD
Investigators in this study examined whether deployment-related TBI predicts PTSD symptom severity when accounting for combat intensity and pre-deployment characteristics. Findings showed that, at the pre-deployment assessment, 57% of service members reported prior TBI; at post-deployment assessment, 20% reported deployment-related TBI. Even when accounting for pre-deployment psychiatric symptoms,...
Date: December 11, 2013
- Low Rates of VA Vocational Service Use among OEF/OIF Veterans with Mental Health Conditions
This study assessed nationwide patterns of supported employment and vocational service use among OEF/OIF Veterans with the top four mental health conditions: PTSD, depression, substance use disorder, or traumatic brain injury (TBI). Findings showed that of the Veterans with mental health diagnoses included in this study, only 8% had a vocational services encounter during the study period, with 2% ...
Date: August 1, 2013
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 82 TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY focused projects
|| Is Protection of Disability Benefits Associated with Employment in Veterans with TBI and PTSD?
||Pogoda , Terri
|| Health Outcomes Associated with TBI Screening
|| Coalition Building to Implement Evidenced Based Resource Facilitation and Increase Access to Community Support Services for Veterans with TBI
|| Improving Access to Supported Employment for Veterans with Polytrauma/Traumatic Brain Injury
|| Recommendations and Interventions for and Changes in the Ocular Health and visual Function of Veterans with Traumatic Brain Injury
» View more Studies
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Traumatic Brain Injury" seminars are displayed.
The Big Picture: The Scope of Sensory Deficits associated with Traumatic Brain Injury
|| Pugh, Mary Jo
Visual Dysfunctions and Traumatic Brain Injury
|| Merezhinskaya, Natalya
It’s all about the Blast: Acute Assessment of TBI and PTSD after a Deployment-Related Explosive Blast
|| Peterson, Alan
Leveraging VA and State Data to Examine Veterans’ Injury: TBI, Opioids, and Guns
|| Carlson, Kathleen
Evidence Brief: Traumatic Brain Injury and Dementia
|| Hoffman, Stuart
» View more Cyberseminars