HSR&D Resource Centers and Centralized Service Program
HSR&D provides core funding to four Resource Centers and a Centralized Service Program that support HSR&D management and the COINs by providing data, consultation, and focused research on management issues, health economics and system.
Centralized Service Program
- Document and evaluate of VA economic data bases, including Managerial Cost Accounting (MCA) system national data extracts, and data on purchased care, pharmacy, prosthetics and other cost data.
- Create new VA economics data, including a comprehensive estimate of the cost of all VA health care encounters, annual patient-level cost estimates, an index of the relative labor cost of different facilities, a schedule of the cost of employing different types of health care staff, and a discharge-level database of inpatient costs derived from the MCA inpatient data.
- Provide Cybercourses on cost-effectiveness analysis and econometric methods.
- Coordinate Cyberseminars on health economic methods and findings
- Assist VA researchers with a health economics consulting service
- Convene working groups of HSR&D researchers to address economic issues of special concern to the Veterans Health Administration.
Center Executive Summary
Todd Wagner, PhD
web site: http://www.herc.research.va.gov
Mission: To advance VA capacity to use data effectively for research and quality improvement and to foster communication between research data users and the VA healthcare community.
- Advance data knowledge and methods by conducting research and collaborating with experts in the field to create a knowledge base of factual and evaluative information about VA data and information systems.
- Disseminate data knowledge and information that enables researchers to maximize the power of VA data and information systems.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing among the data user community.
- Collaborate with VA data stewards and program offices to enhance data availability and to address issues affecting research that uses data and information systems.
Maria Souden, MSI, PhD
web site: http://www.virec.research.va.gov/
- Developing publications and managing HSR&D national dissemination efforts;
- Managing the national HSR&D and QUERI websites;
- Planning and facilitating meetings and conferences, including HSR&D and QUERI national meetings and state-of-the-art conferences;
- Coordinating HSR&D cyber seminars; and
- Developing HSR&D contributions to R&D publications and other VA and non-VA publications and products.
Gerald F. O'Keefe, JD, MPH
web site: http://www.cider.research.va.gov/
Centralized Transcription Service Program (CTSP), Salt Lake City, UT
- Supply timely and high quality transcripts completed by VA staff trained in qualitative research
- Provide qualitative methods expertise in the context of transcription services that may be needed for research proposals and quality improvement projects
- Provide an infrastructure to support investigators and VA operations partners who need transcription services for qualitative research
- Ensure VA privacy and security requirements are met by operating the Centralized Transcription Services Program within the VA firewall
- Offer transcription services using VA funds, thereby avoiding complex and time-consuming contracting
Transcription requests: http://vaww.hsrd.research.va.gov/for_researchers/ctsp/transcript-request.cfm
(This site is hosted on the VA intranet. If you have intranet access, copy and paste the URL into your browser.)
Susan Zickmund, PhD
(801) 582-1565 x5114