Opioids are a class of medication that are typically used to reduce and manage both acute- and long-term pain. Opioids can be both naturally occurring and synthetically manufactured, and encompass both legally and illegally made and used products. While they can be effective in reducing short-term acute pain, long-term use carries risks, including addiction and accidental overdose. In order to help effectively manage opioid prescribing and use, HSR&D researchers conduct investigations into various aspects of opioid management, including prescription medication reviews, adjunct pain management therapy, and opioid use disorder treatment.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Opioid". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1039 OPIOID focused publications)
- Frost MC, Hawkins EJ, Glass JE, Hallgren KA, Williams EC. Associations Between Distinct Co-occurring Substance Use Disorders and Receipt of Medications for Opioid Use Disorder in the Veterans Health Administration. Journal of addiction medicine. 2022 Oct 18.
- Gibbons JB, McCullough JS, Zivin K, Brown ZY, Norton EC. Association Between Buprenorphine Treatment Gaps, Opioid Overdose, and Health Care Spending in US Medicare Beneficiaries With Opioid Use Disorder. JAMA psychiatry. 2022 Oct 5.
- Quinn PD, Chang Z, Pujol TA, Bair MJ, Gibbons RD, Kroenke K, D'Onofrio BM. Association between prescribed opioid dose and risk of motor vehicle crashes. Pain. 2022 Sep 26.
- Acharya M, Hayes CJ, Li C, Painter JT, Dayer L, Martin BC. Development of a potential opioid misuse measure from administrative dispensing data and contrasting opioid misuse among individuals on long-term tramadol, long-term short-acting hydrocodone or long-term short-acting oxycodone therapy in Arkansas. Current Medical Research and Opinion. 2022 Aug 28; 1-11.
- Sharp LK, Solanki P, Boyer T, Vivo A, Kale I, Hughes AM, Gibson G, Jurasic MM, Evans CT, Suda KJ. A qualitative exploration of dentists' opioid prescribing decisions within U.S. veterans affairs facilities. Pain. 2022 Aug 17.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 71 OPIOID focused publication briefs)
- VA Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder was Maintained During the COVID Pandemic Through Rapid Shift to Telehealth
At the beginning of the COVID pandemic, key federal policy changes were implemented to decrease barriers to telehealth-delivery of buprenorphine, a life-saving medication treatment for patients with opioid use disorder (OUD). This study examined the impact of these COVID-19 policies on buprenorphine treatment across different modalities (telephone, video, and in-person visits). Findings showed tha...
Date: July 28, 2022
- Antipsychotic Prescribing Decreased in VA Nursing Homes, but Prescribing Alternative Drugs, such as Opioids, Increased
This study sought to evaluate national trends in prescribing antipsychotic and other central nervous system (CNS)-active medications for Veterans with dementia residing in VA nursing homes, as well as how use has changed over time. Findings showed that antipsychotic use steadily decreased between FY2009 and FY2018 (from 34% to 28%), with similar declines in anxiolytic prescribing (from 34% to 27%)...
Date: May 26, 2022
- Predictive Tool Associated with 22% Lower Odds of All-Cause Mortality among High-Risk Veterans Taking Opioids
In 2018, VA mandated a case review intervention that targeted patients who had been prescribed opioid analgesics and who were at high risk of adverse outcomes. The Stratification Tool for Opioid Risk Mitigation (STORM), a provider-facing dashboard that uses predictive analytics to stratify patients prescribed opioids based on their risk for overdose/suicide, was developed to identify these patient...
Date: May 2, 2022
- High Virologic Cure Rates for Hepatitis C Virus among Veterans with Opioid Use Disorder Treated with Elbasvir/Grazoprevir
Elbasvir (EBR)/grazoprevir (GZR) is a fixed-dose combination treatment for hepatitis C virus (HCV). This study sought to evaluate the real-world effectiveness of EBR/GZR among Veterans with HCV genotype (GT) 1 who also had a diagnosis of opioid use disorder (OUD). Findings showed that high rates of virologic cure were achieved among VA patients with HCV, OUD, and multiple comorbidities, including ...
Date: January 25, 2022
- Death from Overdose Involving Stimulants Increasing in Veterans
This study sought to describe trends in stimulant-alone and stimulant and other substance use overdose deaths among Veterans and to measure patient and treatment use characteristics across stimulant-related overdose death profiles. Findings showed that the rate of deaths among Veterans from stimulant-related overdose, alone and in combination with other substances, tripled from 2012 to 2018 with t...
Date: October 14, 2021
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 56 OPIOID focused projects
|| ECCO - Evaluation of Outcomes Associated with Community Care Prescribed Opioids
||Duan-Porter , Wei
|| Role of Non-pharmacological Pain Treatments in Safe and Effective Opioid Tapering in Chronic Pain
|| Data to Clinical Action: Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Care of Veterans with Opioid Use Disorder
|| Virtual MOUD Treatment: Virtual Point-of-Care Toxicology Testing to Accompany Virtual Medication Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder
|| Diagnosing and Treating Veterans with Chronic Pain and Opioid Misuse
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Opioid" publications displayed.
Evidence Brief: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual Trauma - Supplementary Materials
...(TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual Trauma - Supplementary...(TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual Trauma - Supplementary...(TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual Trauma Supplementary
Improving Opioid Safety || In Progress
In 2013, VA launched the Opioid Safety Initiative (OSI), the first of several...system-wide initiatives to address opioid overuse. As a result, by mid-2016 the...This Issue: Improving Opioid Safety Overview: National Opioid Crisis Ongoing HSR&D...HSR&D Studies Effects of VHA Opioid Policy on Prescribing and Patient Outcomes
Overview: National Opioid Crisis || In Progress
In 2013, VA launched the Opioid Safety Initiative (OSI), the first of several...system-wide initiatives to address opioid overuse. As a result, by mid-2016 the...Issue: Improving Opioid Safety » Table of Contents National Opioid Crisis Overview...Overview The misuse of and addiction to opioids (i.e., prescription pain relievers
Primary Care Intervention to Reduce Prescription Opioid Overdoses || In Progress
In 2013, VA launched the Opioid Safety Initiative (OSI), the first of several...system-wide initiatives to address opioid overuse. As a result, by mid-2016 the...September 2018 In This Issue: Improving Opioid Safety » Table of Contents Primary...Intervention to Reduce Prescription Opioid Overdoses Feature Article Previous
Increasing Dental Stewardship of Antibiotics and Opioids || In Progress
In 2013, VA launched the Opioid Safety Initiative (OSI), the first of several...system-wide initiatives to address opioid overuse. As a result, by mid-2016 the...September 2018 In This Issue: Improving Opioid Safety » Table of Contents Increasing...Antibiotics and Opioids Feature Article Antibiotics and opioids are the top therapeutic
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Opioid" seminars are displayed.
Identifying and Prioritizing Gaps in Pain and Opioid-Related Research
|| Becker, William
The Pain Services Evaluation Program: A Partnered Evaluation
|| Relyea, Mark
“I’m not an addict.” Patient experiences with taper and discontinuation of long-term opioid therapy
|| Lovejoy, Travis
New Pain Management Collaboratory Funding Opportunity - Information Session with VA Pain & Opioid Program Offices
|| Kligler, Benjamin
Access Barriers for Individuals on Prescribed Opioids for Chronic Pain
|| Lagisetty, Pooja
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.