Opioids are a class of medication that are typically used to reduce and manage both acute- and long-term pain. Opioids can be both naturally occurring and synthetically manufactured, and encompass both legally and illegally made and used products. While they can be effective in reducing short-term acute pain, long-term use carries risks, including addiction and accidental overdose. In order to help effectively manage opioid prescribing and use, HSR&D researchers conduct investigations into various aspects of opioid management, including prescription medication reviews, adjunct pain management therapy, and opioid use disorder treatment.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Opioid". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 980 OPIOID focused publications)
- Grant AD, Miller MM, Anastas TM, Quinn P, Lok B, Hirsh AT. Opioid-related risk perceptions in chronic pain: influence of patient gender and previous misuse behaviors. Pain. 2022 Apr 1; 163(4):711-718.
- Quinn PD, Chang Z, Bair MJ, Rickert ME, Gibbons RD, Kroenke K, D'Onofrio BM. Associations of opioid prescription dose and discontinuation with risk of substance-related morbidity in long-term opioid therapy. Pain. 2022 Apr 1; 163(4):e588-e595.
- Pickard JG, van den Berk-Clark C, Matthieu MM. Association of Medication-Assisted Treatment and Age With Treatment Completion Among Veterans Seeking Non-VA Treatment for Opioid use Disorder at Non-Veterans Health Administration Facilities. Military medicine. 2022 Mar 28; 187(3-4):504-512.
- Suda KJ, Evans CT, Gibson G, Jurasic MM, Poggensee L, Gonzalez B, Hubbard CC, Vivo A, Cunningham FE, McGregor JC, Gellad WF. Opioid Prescribing by Dentists in the Veterans Health Administration. American journal of preventive medicine. 2022 Mar 24.
- Guo J, Gellad WF, Yang Q, Weiss JC, Donohue JM, Cochran G, Gordon AJ, Malone DC, Kwoh CK, Kuza CC, Wilson DL, Lo-Ciganic WH. Changes in Predicted Opioid Overdose Risk Over Time in A State Medicaid Program: A Group-Based Trajectory Modeling Analysis. Addiction (Abingdon, England). 2022 Mar 21.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 69 OPIOID focused publication briefs)
- Predictive Tool Associated with 22% Lower Odds of All-Cause Mortality among High-Risk Veterans Taking Opioids
In 2018, VA mandated a case review intervention that targeted patients who had been prescribed opioid analgesics and who were at high risk of adverse outcomes. The Stratification Tool for Opioid Risk Mitigation (STORM), a provider-facing dashboard that uses predictive analytics to stratify patients prescribed opioids based on their risk for overdose/suicide, was developed to identify these patient...
Date: May 2, 2022
- High Virologic Cure Rates for Hepatitis C Virus among Veterans with Opioid Use Disorder Treated with Elbasvir/Grazoprevir
Elbasvir (EBR)/grazoprevir (GZR) is a fixed-dose combination treatment for hepatitis C virus (HCV). This study sought to evaluate the real-world effectiveness of EBR/GZR among Veterans with HCV genotype (GT) 1 who also had a diagnosis of opioid use disorder (OUD). Findings showed that high rates of virologic cure were achieved among VA patients with HCV, OUD, and multiple comorbidities, including ...
Date: January 25, 2022
- Death from Overdose Involving Stimulants Increasing in Veterans
This study sought to describe trends in stimulant-alone and stimulant and other substance use overdose deaths among Veterans and to measure patient and treatment use characteristics across stimulant-related overdose death profiles. Findings showed that the rate of deaths among Veterans from stimulant-related overdose, alone and in combination with other substances, tripled from 2012 to 2018 with t...
Date: October 14, 2021
- Veterans Do Not Always Receive Appropriate Continuation of OUD Medications During Surgical Hospitalizations
This study sought to describe practice patterns of perioperative buprenorphine use within VA – and patient outcomes up to 12 months following surgery. Findings showed that the majority of VA surgical patients in this study who received buprenorphine for opioid use disorder experienced a dose hold at some point during the perioperative period despite a trend in clinical guidelines recommending bupr...
Date: September 20, 2021
- Veterans Receiving Buprenorphine for Opioid Use Disorder Have Lower Risk of Suicide/Overdose Mortality
This study sought to determine the association between buprenorphine pharmacotherapy and suicide, overdose, and all-cause mortality among Veterans initiating buprenorphine within VA. Findings showed that Veterans who were not receiving buprenorphine pharmacotherapy on any given day had more than a four-fold increase in suicide/overdose death compared to those who received buprenorphine, even when ...
Date: May 19, 2021
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 56 OPIOID focused projects
|| Role of Non-pharmacological Pain Treatments in Safe and Effective Opioid Tapering in Chronic Pain
|| Data to Clinical Action: Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Care of Veterans with Opioid Use Disorder
|| Virtual MOUD Treatment: Virtual Point-of-Care Toxicology Testing to Accompany Virtual Medication Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder
|| Diagnosing and Treating Veterans with Chronic Pain and Opioid Misuse
|| Preventing Chronic Post-Surgical Pain and Prolonged Opioid Use: The Perioperative Pain Self-Management Program
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Opioid" publications displayed.
Effects of VA Opioid Policy on Prescribing and Patient Outcomes || In Progress
Effects of VA Opioid Policy on Prescribing and Patient Outcomes...Prescription Opioid Use among Veterans » Table of Contents Effects of VHA Opioid Policy...Patient-Centered Outcomes Ongoing Study Opioid analgesics are the most commonly prescribed
Evidence Brief: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual Trauma - Supplementary Materials
...(TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual Trauma - Supplementary...(TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual Trauma - Supplementary...(TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual Trauma Supplementary
State Prescription Monitoring Program to Evaluate Concurrent VA and Non-VA Opioid Prescriptions || In Progress
In 2013, VA launched the Opioid Safety Initiative (OSI), the first of several...system-wide initiatives to address opioid overuse. As a result, by mid-2016 the...September 2018 In This Issue: Improving Opioid Safety » Table of Contents State Prescription...Evaluate Concurrent VA and Non-VA Opioid Prescriptions Feature Article Controlled
Improving Opioid Safety || In Progress
In 2013, VA launched the Opioid Safety Initiative (OSI), the first of several...system-wide initiatives to address opioid overuse. As a result, by mid-2016 the...This Issue: Improving Opioid Safety Overview: National Opioid Crisis Ongoing HSR&D...HSR&D Studies Effects of VHA Opioid Policy on Prescribing and Patient Outcomes
Evidence Brief: Benefits and Harms of Long-term Opioid Dose Reduction or Discontinuation in Patients with Chronic Pain - Supplementary Materials
Brief: Benefits and Harms of Long-term Opioid Dose Reduction or Discontinuation in...Brief: Benefits and Harms of Long-term Opioid Dose Reduction or Discontinuation in...Brief: Benefits and Harms of Long-term Opioid Dose Reduction or Discontinuation in
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Opioid" seminars are displayed.
“I’m not an addict.” Patient experiences with taper and discontinuation of long-term opioid therapy
|| Lovejoy, Travis
New Pain Management Collaboratory Funding Opportunity - Information Session with VA Pain & Opioid Program Offices
|| Kligler, Benjamin
Access Barriers for Individuals on Prescribed Opioids for Chronic Pain
|| Lagisetty, Pooja
Impact of Whole Health on Pain, Quality of Life and Opioid Utilization
|| Kligler, Benjamin
The Educational Mission in Interprofessional Pain Care
|| Edens, Ellen
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.