Opioids are a class of medication that are typically used to reduce and manage both acute- and long-term pain. Opioids can be both naturally occurring and synthetically manufactured, and encompass both legally and illegally made and used products. While they can be effective in reducing short-term acute pain, long-term use carries risks, including addiction and accidental overdose. In order to help effectively manage opioid prescribing and use, HSR&D researchers conduct investigations into various aspects of opioid management, including prescription medication reviews, adjunct pain management therapy, and opioid use disorder treatment.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Opioid". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1077 OPIOID focused publications)
- Solanki PA, Hubbard CC, Poggensee L, Evans CT, Suda KJ. Adverse outcomes associated with opioid prescription by dentists in the Veterans Health Administration: A national cross-sectional study from 2015 to 2018. Journal of public health dentistry. 2023 Feb 17.
- Lakkad M, Martin B, Li C, Harrington S, Dayer L, Painter JT. The use of gabapentinoids and opioids and risk of developing opioid-induced respiratory depression among older breast cancer survivors with neuropathic pain. Journal of cancer survivorship : research and practice. 2023 Feb 8; doi.org.10.1007/s11764-023-01338-9.
- Margraf AM, Davoodi NM, Chen K, Shield RR, McAuliffe LM, Collins CM, Zullo AR. Provider beliefs about the ideal design of an opioid deprescribing and substitution intervention for older adults. American journal of health-system pharmacy : AJHP : official journal of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. 2023 Jan 5; 80(2):53-60.
- Qian G, Rao I, Humphreys K, Owens DK, Brandeau ML. Cost-effectiveness of office-based buprenorphine treatment for opioid use disorder. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2023 Feb 1; 243:109762.
- Klaiman T, Nelson MN, Yan XS, Navathe AS, Patel MS, Refai F, Delgado MK, Pagnotti DR, Liao JM. Clinician Perceptions of Receiving Different Forms of Feedback on their Opioid Prescribing. American journal of medical quality : the official journal of the American College of Medical Quality. 2023 Jan 1; 38(1):1-8.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 71 OPIOID focused publication briefs)
- VA Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder was Maintained During the COVID Pandemic Through Rapid Shift to Telehealth
At the beginning of the COVID pandemic, key federal policy changes were implemented to decrease barriers to telehealth-delivery of buprenorphine, a life-saving medication treatment for patients with opioid use disorder (OUD). This study examined the impact of these COVID-19 policies on buprenorphine treatment across different modalities (telephone, video, and in-person visits). Findings showed tha...
Date: July 28, 2022
- Antipsychotic Prescribing Decreased in VA Nursing Homes, but Prescribing Alternative Drugs, such as Opioids, Increased
This study sought to evaluate national trends in prescribing antipsychotic and other central nervous system (CNS)-active medications for Veterans with dementia residing in VA nursing homes, as well as how use has changed over time. Findings showed that antipsychotic use steadily decreased between FY2009 and FY2018 (from 34% to 28%), with similar declines in anxiolytic prescribing (from 34% to 27%)...
Date: May 26, 2022
- Predictive Tool Associated with 22% Lower Odds of All-Cause Mortality among High-Risk Veterans Taking Opioids
In 2018, VA mandated a case review intervention that targeted patients who had been prescribed opioid analgesics and who were at high risk of adverse outcomes. The Stratification Tool for Opioid Risk Mitigation (STORM), a provider-facing dashboard that uses predictive analytics to stratify patients prescribed opioids based on their risk for overdose/suicide, was developed to identify these patient...
Date: May 2, 2022
- High Virologic Cure Rates for Hepatitis C Virus among Veterans with Opioid Use Disorder Treated with Elbasvir/Grazoprevir
Elbasvir (EBR)/grazoprevir (GZR) is a fixed-dose combination treatment for hepatitis C virus (HCV). This study sought to evaluate the real-world effectiveness of EBR/GZR among Veterans with HCV genotype (GT) 1 who also had a diagnosis of opioid use disorder (OUD). Findings showed that high rates of virologic cure were achieved among VA patients with HCV, OUD, and multiple comorbidities, including ...
Date: January 25, 2022
- Death from Overdose Involving Stimulants Increasing in Veterans
This study sought to describe trends in stimulant-alone and stimulant and other substance use overdose deaths among Veterans and to measure patient and treatment use characteristics across stimulant-related overdose death profiles. Findings showed that the rate of deaths among Veterans from stimulant-related overdose, alone and in combination with other substances, tripled from 2012 to 2018 with t...
Date: October 14, 2021
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 56 OPIOID focused projects
|| ECCO - Evaluation of Outcomes Associated with Community Care Prescribed Opioids
|| Role of Non-pharmacological Pain Treatments in Safe and Effective Opioid Tapering in Chronic Pain
|| Data to Clinical Action: Using Predictive Analytics to Improve Care of Veterans with Opioid Use Disorder
|| Virtual MOUD Treatment: Virtual Point-of-Care Toxicology Testing to Accompany Virtual Medication Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder
|| Diagnosing and Treating Veterans with Chronic Pain and Opioid Misuse
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Opioid" publications displayed.
Improving Opioid Safety || In Progress
In 2013, VA launched the Opioid Safety Initiative (OSI), the first of several...system-wide initiatives to address opioid overuse. As a result, by mid-2016 the...This Issue: Improving Opioid Safety Overview: National Opioid Crisis Ongoing HSR&D...HSR&D Studies Effects of VHA Opioid Policy on Prescribing and Patient Outcomes
Overview: National Opioid Crisis || In Progress
In 2013, VA launched the Opioid Safety Initiative (OSI), the first of several...system-wide initiatives to address opioid overuse. As a result, by mid-2016 the...Issue: Improving Opioid Safety » Table of Contents National Opioid Crisis Overview...Overview The misuse of and addiction to opioids (i.e., prescription pain relievers
Primary Care Intervention to Reduce Prescription Opioid Overdoses || In Progress
In 2013, VA launched the Opioid Safety Initiative (OSI), the first of several...system-wide initiatives to address opioid overuse. As a result, by mid-2016 the...September 2018 In This Issue: Improving Opioid Safety » Table of Contents Primary...Intervention to Reduce Prescription Opioid Overdoses Feature Article Previous
Increasing Dental Stewardship of Antibiotics and Opioids || In Progress
In 2013, VA launched the Opioid Safety Initiative (OSI), the first of several...system-wide initiatives to address opioid overuse. As a result, by mid-2016 the...September 2018 In This Issue: Improving Opioid Safety » Table of Contents Increasing...Antibiotics and Opioids Feature Article Antibiotics and opioids are the top therapeutic
Effects of VHA Opioid Policy on Prescribing and Patient Outcomes || In Progress
In 2013, VA launched the Opioid Safety Initiative (OSI), the first of several...system-wide initiatives to address opioid overuse. As a result, by mid-2016 the...Improving Opioid Safety » Table of Contents Effects of VHA Opioid Policy on...serious opioid-related harms. Recent VA opioid policies include the Opioid Safety
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
There are currently no videos for this topic.
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.