The percentage of women Veterans is expected to increase from 7.7% in 2008 to 14.3% in 2033. Important issues being studied include redesigning primary care service delivery for women, as well as developing screening and treatment strategies for post-deployment health issues affecting women, such as military sexual trauma.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Women Veterans". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 712 WOMEN VETERANS focused publications)
- Littman AJ, Peterson AC, Korpak A, Czerniecki JM, Turner A, Norvell DC, Williams RM, Lehavot K. Differences in prosthetic prescription between men and women Veterans following transtibial or transfemoral lower extremity amputation: a longitudinal cohort study (2005-2018). Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 2023 Mar 9.
- Katon JG, Rodriguez A, Yano EM, Johnson AM, Frayne SM, Hamilton AB, Miller LJ, Williams K, Zephyrin L, Patton EW. Research Priorities to Support Women Veterans' Reproductive Health and Health Care Within a Learning Health Care System. Women's health issues : official publication of the Jacobs Institute of Women's Health. 2023 Jan 24.
- Moghtaderi I, Kelly MR, Carlson GC, Fung CH, Josephson KR, Song Y, Swistun D, Zhu R, Mitchell M, Lee D, Badr MS, Washington DL, Yano EM, Alessi CA, Zeidler MR, Martin JL. Identifying gaps in clinical evaluation and treatment of sleep-disordered breathing in women veterans. Sleep & Breathing = Schlaf & Atmung. 2022 Dec 16.
- Gaffey AE, Han L, Ramsey CM, Skanderson M, Dziura J, Driscoll M, Burg MM, Brandt CA, Bastian LA, Haskell SG. Post-9/11 deployment history and the incidence of breast cancer among women veterans. Annals of epidemiology. 2023 Jan 1; 77:98-102.
- Ebrahimi R, Alvarez C, Dennis P, Shroyer L, Yang H, Perkins A, Beckham J, Sumner J. Antidepressant Use and Incident Ischemic Heart Disease in Women Veterans With Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. [Abstract]. Circulation. 2022 Oct 30; 146(Suppl_1):A12063.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 84 WOMEN VETERANS focused publication briefs)
- Research Priorities for Women Veterans’ Reproductive Health
Held in September 2021, The National VA Reproductive Health Research Conference provided a unique opportunity to survey the current state of knowledge on women Veterans’ reproductive health and to discuss and identify research priorities that will support optimizing VA reproductive healthcare in the context of a Learning Healthcare System. Priorities highlight the need for reproductive health rese...
Date: January 24, 2023
- Male and Female Veterans Differ in Attitudes to Referral to VA Care after Calling the Veterans Crisis Line
This study described Suicide Prevention Coordinator (SPC) referral outcomes for Veterans who contacted the Veterans Crisis Line (VCL) with active thoughts of suicide during calendar years 2018–2019. Reasons given for declining SPC referral suggest that concerns about or discomfort with VA care were a key concern, particularly among women Veterans. Women had a higher rate of declining SPC referrals...
Date: January 1, 2023
- JGIM Supplement Features VA Research on Women Veterans’ Health and Healthcare
This special issue of the Journal of General Internal Medicine (JGIM), titled “Moving Women Veterans’ Health Research Forward,” includes 25 articles and 2 editorials that highlight innovations and new findings related to women Veterans’ health and healthcare, including the diverse needs and experiences of women Veterans and active duty and Reserve/National Guard servicewomen....
Date: September 1, 2022
- Despite Guidelines, Women Veterans More Likely to Receive Unrecommended Psychiatric Medications for PTSD than Men
The primary objectives of this work were to examine PTSD prescribing practices over the last decade (2010–2019) for women and men receiving VA care – and to determine the impact of comorbid diagnoses and demographic characteristics on these practices. Findings showed that across medication classes and years, women were more likely to receive all psychiatric medications of interest. Gender differen...
Date: July 7, 2022
- Documented Clinical Diagnoses Underestimate Prevalence of Substance Use Disorders in Younger, Hispanic, and Women Veterans
This study compared clinical diagnosis rates of alcohol use disorder (AUD), drug use disorder (DUD), and total SUD (AUD and/or DUD) to survey-based prevalence among a random sample of VA patients from 30 VA healthcare facilities. Findings showed that the survey-based prevalence of AUD, DUD, and SUD was generally higher than clinical diagnosis rates among all Veterans: 10% vs 6% for AUD, 4.7% vs 4....
Date: June 30, 2022
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 61 WOMEN VETERANS focused projects
|| Increasing PTSD Treatment Engagement in Women Veterans: Role of CBT for Insomnia
|| Assessing Trends in STI Screening among Women Veterans in the VHA
|| Examining Pre-Pregnancy Health and Maternal Outcomes among Women Veterans
|| MyPath: A Patient-Centered Web-Based Intervention to Improve Reproductive Planning for Women Veterans
|| Strengthening Suicide Prevention Efforts for Women Veterans through the Veterans Crisis Line
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Women Veterans" publications displayed.
Improving Care and Access for LGBTQ Veterans || In Progress
...bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) Veterans in the United States. As a result...stress, and discrimination, these Veterans face increased health risks and unique...Access for LGBTQ Veterans Overview: New Research for LGBTQ Veterans Individual Research...Healthcare Use among Transgender Veterans Understanding Mental Health Problems
Women Veterans Healthcare CREATE || In Progress
...recruits are women, and it's estimated that by 2018, 10% of the Veteran population...population will consist of women. Our March issue focuses on HSR&D research intended...Healthcare for Women Veterans » Table of Contents Women Veterans Healthcare CREATE...on topics that include PTSD, rural Veterans, long-term care, and improving access
VA Healthcare for Women Veterans || In Progress
...recruits are women, and it's estimated that by 2018, 10% of the Veteran population...population will consist of women. Our March issue focuses on HSR&D research intended...Healthcare for Women Veterans Currently, 20% of new military recruits are women, and it's...2018, 10% of the Veteran population will consist of women.1 Our March issue
Evaluating Outsourced Care for Women Veterans || In Progress
...recruits are women, and it's estimated that by 2018, 10% of the Veteran population...population will consist of women. Our March issue focuses on HSR&D research intended...this Issue: VA Healthcare for Women Veterans » Table of Contents Evaluating...Care for Women Veterans Feature Article While the number of women Veterans utilizing
Attrition of Women Veterans New to VA || In Progress
...recruits are women, and it's estimated that by 2018, 10% of the Veteran population...population will consist of women. Our March issue focuses on HSR&D research intended...Healthcare for Women Veterans » Table of Contents Attrition of Women Veterans New to...to VA Feature Article Among women new to VA healthcare in 2006, our earlier work
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics