Mental health is a broad term used to describe a variety of mental, emotional, or behavioral conditions. Mental health conditions can include anxiety disorder, depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), eating disorders, personality disorders, and the more serious psychotic disorders, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. The impact of mental health conditions is significant—according to the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Mental Health, nearly one in five U.S. adults live with a mental illness (51.5 million in 2019).
VA health services researchers conduct a wide variety of investigations into mental health conditions, including access to mental and behavioral health services, post-deployment well-being, specific treatment efficacy, and more.
Each section below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Mental Health". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1662 MENTAL HEALTH focused publications)
- Moldestad M, Petrova VV, Tirtanadi K, Mishra SR, Rajan S, Sayre G, Fortney JC, Reisinger HS. Improving the Usability of Written Exposure Therapy for Therapists in the Department of Veterans Affairs Telemental Health: Formative Study Using Qualitative and User-Centered Design Methods. JMIR formative research. 2023 Nov 6; 7:e47189.
- Kusters IS, Amspoker AB, Frosio K, Day SC, Day G, Ecker A, Hogan J, Lindsay JA, Shore J. Rural-Urban Disparities in Video Telehealth Use During Rapid Mental Health Care Virtualization Among American Indian/Alaska Native Veterans. JAMA psychiatry. 2023 Oct 1; 80(10):1055-1060.
- Sayer NA, Nelson DB, Gradus JL, Sripada RK, Murdoch M, Teo AR, Orazem RJ, Cerel J. The Effects of Suicide Exposure on Mental Health Outcomes Among Post-9/11 Veterans: Protocol for an Explanatory, Sequential, Mixed Methods Study. JMIR research protocols. 2023 Sep 26; 12:e51324.
- Alfaro AJ, Greene L, Van Campen J, Zulman DM, Gould CE, Blonigen DM. Patterns and predictors of mental health service use among older veterans with alcohol use disorder who received a video-enabled tablet. Aging & mental health. 2023 Sep 18; ePub(18):1-7.
- Santiago S, Yahalom J, Ames D, Kopacz MS, Weinreich HM, Erickson Z, Sakhno S, Van Hoof T, Hamilton AB, Koenig HG, Yarns BC. Faith-Based Organizations' Support of Veteran Congregants at Risk for Mental Health Conditions and Suicide: A Qualitative Study of Clergy Experiences in Los Angeles County. Journal of Religion and Health. 2023 Sep 14.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 315 MENTAL HEALTH focused publication briefs)
- Despite Equal Access and Use of VA Care, Black Veterans are More Likely to Experience Postpartum Rehospitalization and Low-Birthweight Infants
This study sought to determine whether Black/white racial disparities in access, use, and outcomes are present among pregnant and postpartum Veterans and their infants using VA maternity care. Findings showed no statistically significant racial disparities in access or use of care during the perinatal period; nevertheless, Black Veterans were more likely than white Veterans to experience postpartu...
Date: July 1, 2023
- Rural-Urban Telemedicine Disparity among Veterans Worsens Following Onset of COVID-19 Pandemic
This study examined changes over time in rural-urban differences in telemedicine use for primary care and mental health integration services among nearly 64 million primary care and 4 million mental health integration visits. Findings showed that the pandemic exacerbated the rural-urban telemedicine divide across VA, possibly because underlying causes of digital inequity were not addressed as init...
Date: March 7, 2023
- Male and Female Veterans Differ in Attitudes to Referral to VA Care after Calling the Veterans Crisis Line
This study described Suicide Prevention Coordinator (SPC) referral outcomes for Veterans who contacted the Veterans Crisis Line (VCL) with active thoughts of suicide during calendar years 2018–2019. Reasons given for declining SPC referral suggest that concerns about or discomfort with VA care were a key concern, particularly among women Veterans. Women had a higher rate of declining SPC referrals...
Date: January 1, 2023
- Mental Health Staffing Affects Probability of Suicide-Related Events among Veterans
This study sought to measure the effect of staffing on suicide-related events (SRE). Findings showed that mental health (MH) staffing had a large causal effect on the probability of a suicide-related event. From 2014 to 2018, the per-pay period probability of an SRE among this study cohort was 0.05%. A 1% increase in mental health staffing led to a 1.6 percentage point reduction in SREs. This effe...
Date: September 11, 2022
- Differences between VA- and Community-Provided Behavioral Healthcare
This retrospective cross-sectional study examined differences in the amount and type of behavioral healthcare delivered in VA and purchased in the community. Findings showed that more than 25% of Veterans receiving inpatient behavioral healthcare used VA-purchased community care, but severe behavioral conditions were treated more frequently in VA. Only 4% of Veterans received outpatient behavioral...
Date: August 30, 2022
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 171 MENTAL HEALTH focused projects
|| Virtual Care Coordination in VA Primary Care-Mental Health Integration
|| Understanding Community-based Mental Healthcare for Rural Veterans with Military Sexual Trauma
|| Improving Mental Health for Veterans with Dementia: Provider Training in Caregiver Engagement
|| Improving Anxiety Treatment Engagement and Effectiveness in Primary Care-Mental Health Integration: Multi-site Hybrid I RCT of a Brief Veteran-Centered Anxiety Intervention
|| Quality of Mental Health Services for Homeless Veterans in Primary Care Settings
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Mental Health" publications displayed.
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics