Mental health is a broad term used to describe a variety of mental, emotional, or behavioral conditions. Mental health conditions can include anxiety disorder, depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), eating disorders, personality disorders, and the more serious psychotic disorders, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. The impact of mental health conditions is significant—according to the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Mental Health, nearly one in five U.S. adults live with a mental illness (51.5 million in 2019).
VA health services researchers conduct a wide variety of investigations into mental health conditions, including access to mental and behavioral health services, post-deployment well-being, specific treatment efficacy, and more.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Mental Health". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1476 MENTAL HEALTH focused publications)
- Tobin J, Cockburn M, Unger JB, Finch BK, Hamilton AS, Ritt-Olson A, Milam JE. Acculturation, Mental Health, and Wellbeing Among Hispanic/Latinx Young Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer. Journal of adolescent and young adult oncology. 2021 Jul 19.
- Ecker AH, O'Leary K, Fletcher TL, Hundt NE, York-Ward KM, Kauth MR, Kunik ME, Cully JA. Training and supporting mental health providers to implement evidence-based psychotherapies in frontline practice. Translational behavioral medicine. 2021 Jun 25.
- Chen PV, Helm AM, Fletcher TL, Wassef M, Hogan J, Amspoker A, Cloitre M, Lindsay JA. Seeing the Value of Video: A Qualitative Study on Patient Preference for Using Video in a Veteran Affairs Telemental Health Program Evaluation. Telemedicine Reports. 2021 May 31; 2(1):https://doi.org/10.1089/tmr.2021.0005.
- Seal KH, Pyne JM, Manuel JK, Li Y, Koenig CJ, Zamora KA, Abraham TH, Mesidor MM, Hill C, Uddo M, Hamilton M, Borsari B, Bertenthal D, Casey JJ, Kelly PA. Telephone veteran peer coaching for mental health treatment engagement among rural veterans: The importance of secondary outcomes and qualitative data in a randomized controlled trial. The Journal of rural health : official journal of the American Rural Health Association and the National Rural Health Care Association. 2021 May 12.
- Turvey CL, Fuhrmeister LA, Klein DM, Moeckli J, Howren MB, Chasco EE. Patient and Provider Experience of Electronic Patient Portals and Secure Messaging in Mental Health Treatment. Telemedicine journal and e-health : the official journal of the American Telemedicine Association. 2021 Apr 21.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 297 MENTAL HEALTH focused publication briefs)
- Fewer than Two-Thirds of Veterans Receive Timely Lung Cancer Screening Follow-Up
This retrospective cohort study sought to determine adherence to recommended next steps (i.e., annual screening or evaluation of screen-detected findings) in a national cohort of Veterans screened for lung cancer – and to identify factors associated with delayed or absent follow-up. Findings showed that less than two-thirds of Veterans received timely recommended follow-up after an initial lung ca...
Date: July 8, 2021
- Primary Care Intensive Management for High-Risk VA Patients Did Not Improve Long-term (12-24 Month) Outcomes or Costs
This randomized trial tested whether primary care intensive management (PIM) teams could decrease acute care use, such as emergency department visits and hospitalizations, among high-risk Veterans during the second year of PIM implementation. Findings showed that offering an intensive case management program in addition to routine primary care services for high-risk patients increased outpatient u...
Date: June 18, 2021
- Both “High-Needs” Patients and Facility Leaders Praise VA’s Intensive Primary Care Pilot Program
This qualitative evaluation explored the perspectives of patients and healthcare facility leaders to identify additional important outcomes that could augment utilization and cost studies of intensive primary care (IPC) programs for high-needs patients. Findings indicated that IPC programs may yield benefits beyond healthcare cost and use, including improved quality of care, patient satisfaction, ...
Date: May 13, 2021
- Food Insecurity in Veterans is Associated with Increased Depression Symptoms and Suicidal Ideation
This study sought to investigate the association between food insecurity and suicidal ideation. Findings showed that food insecurity in Veterans was associated with increased depression symptoms and suicidal ideation. The odds for suicidal ideation among Veterans with very low food security – the most severe level of food insecurity – increased by nearly four-fold compared to those who were food s...
Date: March 26, 2021
- Some Combat Experiences May Increase Risk of Attempting Suicide among Service Members
This study sought to determine the association of combat exposure with suicide attempts among active-duty US service members who were deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Findings showed that when defined broadly, combat was not associated with suicide attempts after adjusting for demographic and military-specific factors. High combat severity was associated with an increased risk for suicide attempt...
Date: February 2, 2021
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 168 MENTAL HEALTH focused projects
|| Improving Mental Health for Veterans with Dementia: Provider Training in Caregiver Engagement
|| Improving Anxiety Treatment Engagement and Effectiveness in Primary Care-Mental Health Integration: Multi-site Hybrid I RCT of a Brief Veteran-Centered Anxiety Intervention
|| Quality of Mental Health Services for Homeless Veterans in Primary Care Settings
|| Passive Mobile Self-Tracking of Mental Health by Veterans with Serious Mental Illness
|| Applying the After Action Review Methodology to Examine Mental Health Residential Rehabilitation and Treatment Programs’ Response to the COVID--19 Crisis
» View more Studies
Read more on this topic and related topics