Caregivers and Family Support
A caregiver—sometimes called an informal caregiver—is an unpaid individual (for example, a spouse, partner, family member, friend, or neighbor) involved in assisting others with activities of daily living and/or medical tasks. Formal caregivers are paid care providers providing care in one's home or in a care setting (day care, residential facility, long-term care facility). There are almost 5.5 million caregivers caring for Veterans, and 96% of those caregivers are women. 70% provide care to a spouse or partner, and provide care for an average of 10 years. VA research into caregiving touches on everything from delivery of services to support for caregivers to the impact of policy decisions.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Caregiver". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 508 CAREGIVER focused publications)
- Leggett AN, Strominger J, Robinson-Lane SG, Maust DT. Disparities in Health Care Task Participation and Provider Communication by Family Caregiver Race. Journal of general internal medicine. 2021 Apr 8.
- Polenick CA, Lei L, Zhou AN, Birditt KS, Maust DT. Caregiver status and illness self-efficacy during the COVID-19 pandemic among older adults with chronic conditions. Aging & mental health. 2021 Mar 22; 1-7.
- Eliacin J, Fortney SK, Rattray NA, Kean J. Patients' and caregivers' perspectives on healthcare navigation in Central Indiana, USA after brain injury. Health & Social Care in The Community. 2021 Jan 20.
- Semere W, Althouse AD, Rosland AM, White D, Arnold R, Chu E, Smith TJ, Schenker Y. Poor patient health is associated with higher caregiver burden for older adults with advanced cancer. Journal of geriatric oncology. 2021 Jan 18.
- Manheim C, Haverhals L, Gilman C, Karuza J, Olsan T, Edwards S, Levy C, Gillespie S. VA Home Based Primary Care Teams: Partnering with and Acting as Caregivers for Veterans. Home health care services quarterly. 2021 Jan 7; 40(1):1-15.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 21 CAREGIVER focused publication briefs)
- Veteran-Directed Care Adds to Options for Medically Complex Veterans Living in the Community – Without Raising Costs
One way in which VA facilitates independence and supports caregivers is through the Veteran-Directed Care (VDC) program, part of VA’s Office of Geriatrics and Extended Care Services. VDC enables enrollees to hire family members, friends, or neighbors as paid caregivers and also provides caregiver support, including caregiver training and burden monitoring. This study evaluated the incidence of VA ...
Date: June 1, 2019
- VA Experience with Implementing Intensive Primary Care Programs for Veterans at Highest Risk
This case study describes VA’s experience with implementing intensive primary care programs, as well as the program elements that appear to be necessary to meet the complex care needs of these high-risk Veterans. Findings showed that the PACT Intensive Management program (PIM) has been successfully implemented for more than three years at five demonstration sites in the VA healthcare system. The P...
Date: October 25, 2017
- Impact of Comprehensive Caregiver Support Program on VA Healthcare Utilization and Cost
The Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) supports caregivers of Veterans from the post-9/11 era who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) or supervision or protection because of the residual effect of injuries sustained during their service. A monthly stipend is provided to caregivers based on Veterans’ care needs. In this study, investigators examined...
Date: April 1, 2017
- Benefits for Veterans with Dementia who Participate in VA Program Integrating Healthcare and Community Services
This study tested the effectiveness of a telephone-based care-coordination program – Partners in Dementia Care (PDC) – that integrated healthcare and community services through structured coaching and support. PDC targeted both Veterans and their primary informal caregivers. Findings showed that compared to usual care, PDC was associated with significantly lower levels of self-reported adverse out...
Date: February 28, 2014
- Home Safety Intervention Improves Caregiver Competence for Individuals with Alzheimer’s Disease
This trial sought to give informal caregivers the knowledge and resources to prevent risky behaviors and accidents in the homes of persons with dementia of the Alzheimer’s type (DAT) or a related dementia. Investigators designed a Home Safety Toolkit that includes a booklet on high-frequency/high-severity risks for accidents and injuries in the home, and sample items (i.e., smoke alarm, night ligh...
Date: October 1, 2013
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 54 CAREGIVER focused projects
|| The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Veteran Caregivers: A Mixed Methods Study to inform the VA Caregiver Support System
|| COVID-19 Impact on Biopsychosocial Factors of Loneliness in Rural Older Veterans and Caregivers
|| Caregiver SOS: An Intervention for Employed Caregivers
|| Navigating Advanced Illness for Informal Caregivers of Ill Veterans
|| Spanish Online & Telephone Intervention for Caregivers of Veterans with Stroke
» View more Studies
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Caregiver" seminars are displayed.
Informal Caregiver Support Policies & Use of VA Health and Vocational Rehabilitation Services
|| Shepherd-Banigan, Megan
Adaptation and Implementation of a Family Caregiver Skills Training Program: From single site RCT to multisite pragmatic intervention
|| Shepherd-Banigan, Megan
Van Houtven, Courtney
Balance Dysfunction after mild TBI: Findings from the Chronic Effects of NeuroTrauma Consortium Longitudinal Study
|| Cifu, David
Interventions to Support Caregivers or Families of Patients with TBI, PTSD, or Polytrauma
|| Williams, Jr., John
Williams, Jr., John
Whole Health from the Perspective of VA Caregivers: Findings from a Photovoice Study
|| Urbina, Sharon
» View more Cyberseminars