Caregivers and Family Support
A caregiver—sometimes called an informal caregiver—is an unpaid individual (for example, a spouse, partner, family member, friend, or neighbor) involved in assisting others with activities of daily living and/or medical tasks. Formal caregivers are paid care providers providing care in one's home or in a care setting (day care, residential facility, long-term care facility). There are almost 5.5 million caregivers caring for Veterans, and 96% of those caregivers are women. 70% provide care to a spouse or partner, and provide care for an average of 10 years. VA research into caregiving touches on everything from delivery of services to support for caregivers to the impact of policy decisions.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Caregiver". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 651 CAREGIVER focused publications)
- Singh N, Giannitrapani KF, Gamboa RC, O'Hanlon CE, Fereydooni S, Holdsworth LM, Lindvall C, Walling AM, Lorenz KA. What Patients Facing Cancer and Caregivers Want From Communication in Times of Crisis: A Qualitative Study in the Early Months of the COVID-19 Pandemic. The American journal of hospice & palliative care. 2023 Jun 30; 10499091231187351.
- Waymouth M, Siconolfi D, Friedman EM, Saliba D, Ahluwalia SC, Shih RA. Barriers and Facilitators to Home- and Community-Based Services Access for Persons With Dementia and Their Caregivers. The journals of gerontology. Series B, Psychological sciences and social sciences. 2023 May 26; 78(6):1085-1097.
- Sperber NR, Boucher N, Hughes JM, Bruening R, Zullig LL, Decosimo K, Tucker M, Christensen LA, Allen KD, Hastings SN, Van Houtven CH. Mandated Caregiver Training in the Veterans Health Administration: Caregiver Inquiry Informs National Dissemination. The Gerontologist. 2023 Mar 21; 63(3):534-544.
- Kaufman BG, Holland DE, Vanderboom CE, Ingram C, Wild EM, Dose AM, Stiles C, Gustavson AM, Chun A, Langan EM, Baer-Benson HA, Mandrekar J, Griffin JM. Implementation Costs of Technology-Enhanced Transitional Palliative Care for Rural Caregivers. The American journal of hospice & palliative care. 2023 Feb 16; 10499091231156145.
- Shoults CC, Rutherford MW, Kemp AS, Addicott MA, Brown A, Greene CJ, Hayes CJ, Gan JM, Larson-Prior LJ, Bona JP. Analysis of Caregiver Burden Expressed in Social Media Discussions. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2023 Jan 20; 20(3).
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 23 CAREGIVER focused publication briefs)
- VA-GRACE Program Effectively Supports Aging Veterans and Caregivers But Does Not Reduce Readmissions
The Geriatric Resources for Assessment and Care of Elders (GRACE) program is a collaborative, multidisciplinary care model that provides home-based geriatric care management. This study evaluated VA-GRACE from its implementation (2010) to 2020 in terms of its effect on mortality and readmissions – and examined patient, caregiver, primary care provider, and VA-GRACE staff satisfaction. Findings sho...
Date: August 29, 2022
- Examining the Investment in Caring for High-Needs Patients
Since 2013, VA has invested more than $22 million in fostering and testing interventions within patient-centered medical homes at five demonstration sites to improve care for Veterans at highest risk for hospitalizations or death. In this commentary, VA authors involved in this project, known as the VA PACT Intensive Management program, reflect on lessons learned about improving care for this popu...
Date: September 10, 2021
- Veteran-Directed Care Adds to Options for Medically Complex Veterans Living in the Community – Without Raising Costs
One way in which VA facilitates independence and supports caregivers is through the Veteran-Directed Care (VDC) program, part of VA’s Office of Geriatrics and Extended Care Services. VDC enables enrollees to hire family members, friends, or neighbors as paid caregivers and also provides caregiver support, including caregiver training and burden monitoring. This study evaluated the incidence of VA ...
Date: June 1, 2019
- VA Experience with Implementing Intensive Primary Care Programs for Veterans at Highest Risk
This case study describes VA’s experience with implementing intensive primary care programs, as well as the program elements that appear to be necessary to meet the complex care needs of these high-risk Veterans. Findings showed that the PACT Intensive Management program (PIM) has been successfully implemented for more than three years at five demonstration sites in the VA healthcare system. The P...
Date: October 25, 2017
- Impact of Comprehensive Caregiver Support Program on VA Healthcare Utilization and Cost
The Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) supports caregivers of Veterans from the post-9/11 era who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) or supervision or protection because of the residual effect of injuries sustained during their service. A monthly stipend is provided to caregivers based on Veterans’ care needs. In this study, investigators examined...
Date: April 1, 2017
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 61 CAREGIVER focused projects
|| Maximizing the Value of VA Homemaker/Home Health Aide (H/HHA) Services to Veterans, Caregivers and VA: Supporting Older Veterans'' Pathways to Stable H/HHA Care
|| Family-Centered Co-Design of a Technology-Facilitated Intervention for Family Caregivers of Critical Care Survivors
|| Hospital GamePlan4Care: A Web-Based Delivery System for Dementia Caregiver Support
|| Improving Mental Health for Veterans with Dementia: Provider Training in Caregiver Engagement
|| The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Veteran Caregivers: A Mixed Methods Study to inform the VA Caregiver Support System
» View more Studies
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Caregiver" seminars are displayed.
Research to the Real World: Insights from Implementation of a Caregiver Support Training Program
|| Decosimo, Kasey
Van Houtven, Courtney
Evaluating Implementation of a Health Literate Care Model In VHA: Outcomes and Recommendations of an HSR&D Field Advisory Meeting
|| Goldstein, Michael
HSR&D National Meeting Paper Session: COVID-19
|| Research Community, HSR&D
HSR&D National Meeting Paper Session: Implementation Science
|| Research Community, HSR&D
Photovoice: Principles, Practicality, and Benefit to Participants
|| Haverhals, Leah
» View more Cyberseminars