The medical management of chronic (long-term) or acute (short-term) pain is an important priority for VA, as some 77% of Veterans report pain control as among their top three priorities in primary care.* Important issues being studied include whether computer-aided screening will increase pain diagnosis, and what techniques will best support Veterans in self-managing their pain.
* Mitchinson AR, Kerr EA, Krein SL. "Management of chronic noncancer pain by VA primary care providers: when is pain control a priority?' Am J Manag Care. 2008 Feb;14(2):77-84.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Pain". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1534 PAIN focused publications)
- Kerns RD, Burgess DJ, Coleman BC, Cook CE, Farrokhi S, Fritz JM, Goertz C, Heapy A, Lisi AJ, Rhon DI, Vining R. Self-Management of Chronic Pain: Psychologically Guided Core Competencies for Providers. Pain medicine (Malden, Mass.). 2022 Oct 29; 23(11):1815-1819.
- Chen JA, Anderson ML, Cherkin DC, Balderson BH, Cook AJ, Sherman KJ, Turner JA. Moderators and Nonspecific Predictors of Treatment Benefits in a Randomized Trial of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction vs. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy vs. Usual Care for Chronic Low Back Pain. The journal of pain. 2022 Sep 27.
- Munk N, Daggy JK, Evans E, Kline M, Slaven JE, Laws B, Foote T, Matthias MS, Bair MJ. Therapist-Delivered Versus Care Ally-Assisted Massage for Veterans With Chronic Neck Pain: Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR research protocols. 2022 Sep 27; 11(9):e38950.
- Hammett PJ, Eliacin J, Makris UE, Allen KD, Kerns RD, Heapy A, Elizabeth GS, Meis LA, Taylor BC, Saenger M, Cross LJS, Do T, Branson M, Burgess DJ. An Analysis of the Role of Mental Health in a Randomized Trial of a Walking Intervention for Black Veterans with Chronic Pain. The journal of pain. 2022 Sep 23.
- Senders A, Bauer SR, Chen Y, Oken B, Fink HA, Lane NE, Sajadi KP, Marshall LM, Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study Group. Musculoskeletal pain, a possible indicator of central sensitization, is positively associated with lower urinary tract symptom progression in community dwelling older men. The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences. 2022 Sep 23.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 91 PAIN focused publication briefs)
- AI-Guided Pain Care Might Work as Well as Phone Therapy
Investigators in this study developed a cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic pain (CBT-CP) intervention using artificial intelligence (AI) to automatically adjust the modality of weekly therapist interactions based on patient feedback reported daily via interactive voice response (IVR). This trial evaluated this intervention (AI-CBT-CP) relative to therapist-delivered telephone CBT-CP. Finding...
Date: September 1, 2022
- Low-Value Service Use Common and Costly among Veterans Enrolled in VA Healthcare
This study sought to quantify Veterans’ overall use and cost of low-value services, including VA-delivered care and VA-purchased community care. Findings showed that low-value service use is common and costly across a variety of VA services. In this study cohort, 19.6 low-value services per 100 Veterans were delivered by VA facilities or VA Community Care programs in fiscal year 2018, which involv...
Date: July 5, 2022
- PTSD-Multimorbidity in Recently Discharged Veterans Predicts Poor Social Functioning, Increasing Risk for Suicidal Ideation
A growing body of literature suggests that problems experienced by Veterans during their transition from military to civilian life confer significant risk for suicidal ideation (SI). One of these problems is PTSD, which, along with chronic pain and sleep disturbance, can increase risk for SI. Findings from this study showed that at approximately 15 months post-separation, almost 91% of Veterans wi...
Date: June 2, 2022
- Research Suggests Battlefield Acupuncture is Immediate but Short-Term Pain Management Tool
This commentary summarizes work conducted to examine battlefield acupuncture’s (BFA’s) implementation and effectiveness within the VA healthcare system. Findings show that there is some evidence that BFA is a potentially effective, immediate, but short-term pain management tool that can be used in adjunct with other pain therapies. BFA produced a minimal clinically important improvement in pain fo...
Date: March 26, 2021
- JGIM Supplement Features VA Research on Improving Opioid Safety among Veterans with Chronic Pain and Addiction
In the fall of 2019, HSR&D convened a state-of-the-art (SOTA) conference – “Effective Management of Pain and Addiction: Strategies to Improve Opioid Safety” – to develop research priorities for advancing the science and clinical practice of opioid safety, including both the use of opioid analgesics and managing opioid use disorder (OUD). A group of researchers and VA clinical stakeholders defined ...
Date: December 1, 2020
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 97 PAIN focused projects
|| Options for Pain Management using Nonpharmacological Strategies (OPTIONS)
||Matthias , Marianne
|| MOTIVATE to Improve Outcomes for Older Veterans with Musculoskeletal Pain and Depression
||Makris , Una
|| Self-Administered Acupressure for Veterans with Chronic Back Pain: A Multisite Evaluation of Effectiveness and Implementation
|| Role of Non-pharmacological Pain Treatments in Safe and Effective Opioid Tapering in Chronic Pain
|| COVID-19 Impact on Pain management: Highlighting, Explaining, and Realigning services (CIPHER)
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Pain" publications displayed.
Evidence Brief: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual Trauma - Supplementary Materials
Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual...Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual...Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual
Benefits and Harms of Cannabis in Chronic Pain or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: A Systematic Review
Benefits and Harms of Cannabis in Chronic Pain or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: A...Benefits and Harms of Cannabis in Chronic Pain or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: A...Benefits and Harms of Cannabis for Chronic Pain or PTSD Evidence-based Synthesis Program
Chronic Pain in Veterans and Servicemembers with a History of Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: A Systematic Review
Chronic Pain in Veterans and Servicemembers with a History of Mild Traumatic...Chronic Pain in Veterans and Servicemembers with a History of Mild Traumatic...Kansagara, MD, MCR, Director Chronic Pain in Veterans and Servicemembers with
Implementation of Psychotherapies and Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction for Chronic Pain and Chronic Mental Health Conditions: A Systematic Review
Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction for Chronic Pain and Chronic Mental Health Conditions:...Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction for Chronic Pain and Chronic Mental Health Conditions:...Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction for Chronic Pain and Chronic Mental Health Conditions:
FORUM, Spring 2016: Chronic pain, opioids
...importance of pain research in VHA has never been higher. Defining pain as a public...Integrative Health Approaches to Addressing Pain Stephanie L. Taylor, PhD, HSR&D Center...half of Veterans experience chronic pain, making it the most common condition
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Pain" seminars are displayed.
Identifying and Prioritizing Gaps in Pain and Opioid-Related Research
|| Becker, William
Understanding Heterogeneity in Effects of Interventions for Chronic Pain
|| Allen, Kelli
The Pain Services Evaluation Program: A Partnered Evaluation
|| Relyea, Mark
The APPROACH Study: Assessing Pain, Patient Reported Outcomes and Complementary and Integrative Health (A VA National Demonstration Project)
|| Taylor, Stephanie
Pain Management Strategies, Associated Psychological Variables, and Outcomes in Critical Limb Ischemia: Opportunities for a Multidisciplinary Pain Management Program
|| Smolderen, Kim
» View more Cyberseminars