Corporate Data Warehouse (CDW)
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Office of Information & Technology, has
the mission to provide a high-performance business intelligence infrastructure
through standardization, consolidation and streamlining of clinical data
systems. Toward this end OI&T has built the Corporate Data Warehouse (CDW) and 4
Regional Data Warehouses (RDW1-4)
The CDW program is central to business management, clinical and administrative
research, and healthcare system innovation.
Information into Insight
- Improve health care quality and patient safety system-wide, maintaining
leadership in managing large and unique populations, and ultimately transforming
VHA to become an industry benchmark for health care outcomes.
- Supporting medical and rehabilitation research in support of key VHA directives.
- Realign resources to serve veterans based on market demand that is significantly
influenced by market demographics.
- Improve access, convenience, timeliness of health care services, and patient
satisfaction among all veteran populations.
- Efficiently manage the needs of an aging veteran population while at the same
time balancing the needs of new (and younger) veterans.
- Participate in Homeland Security directives and missions by coordinating
emergency response, participating in biosurveillance activities, and conducting
The mission of CDW
- Deliver better visibility and higher availability across departments
- Leverage existing IT infrastructure investment
- Provides a repeatable and large scale data warehouse
Regional Data Warehouse (RDW)
The RDWs are near real-time collections of key data extracted from VistA
required to efficiently manage the healthcare system.
- Standard Information to support management decision-making
- Standard Architectures rather than independent disparate Data Warehouses (DW)
and Data Marts (DM) development by individual entities
- Standard Tools for robust access, reporting and analysis of data at the