Individuals may become homeless for a variety of reasons, ranging from financial difficulties to long-term chronic illness or substance use disorders. Examples of studies by HSR&D researchers include screening Veterans to determine if they are at-risk of becoming homeless, what types of preventive measures work to keep those at-risk Veterans from losing housing, and how to best provide assistance to homeless Veterans
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Homelessness". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 136 HOMELESSNESS focused publications)
- Wilson DA, Boadu O, Jones AL, Kim N, Mor MK, Hausmann LRM, Essien UR. Analysis of Initiating Anticoagulant Therapy for Atrial Fibrillation Among Persons Experiencing Homelessness in the Veterans Affairs Health System. JAMA Network Open. 2022 Jul 1; 5(7):e2223815.
- Lynch KA, Harris T, Jain SH, Hochman M. The Case for Mobile "Street Medicine" for Patients Experiencing Homelessness. Journal of general internal medicine. 2022 Jun 9.
- Balut MD, Gin JL, Alenkin NR, Dobalian A. Vaccinating Veterans Experiencing Homelessness for COVID-19: Healthcare and Housing Service Providers' Perspectives. Journal of community health. 2022 Jun 7.
- Weiner SJ, Schwartz A, Binns-Calvey A, Kass B, Underwood TD, Kane V. Impact of an unannounced standardized veteran program on access to community-based services for veterans experiencing homelessness. Journal of public health (Oxford, England). 2022 Mar 7; 44(1):207-213.
- Shepherd-Banigan M, Drake C, Dietch JR, Shapiro A, Tabriz AA, Van Voorhees EE, Uthappa DM, Wang TW, Lusk JB, Rossitch SS, Fulton J, Gordon A, Ear B, Cantrell S, Gierisch JM, Williams JW, Goldstein KM. Primary Care Engagement Among Individuals with Experiences of Homelessness and Serious Mental Illness: an Evidence Map. Journal of general internal medicine. 2022 May 1; 37(6):1513-1523.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 39 HOMELESSNESS focused publication briefs)
- Veterans Do Not Always Receive Appropriate Continuation of OUD Medications During Surgical Hospitalizations
This study sought to describe practice patterns of perioperative buprenorphine use within VA – and patient outcomes up to 12 months following surgery. Findings showed that the majority of VA surgical patients in this study who received buprenorphine for opioid use disorder experienced a dose hold at some point during the perioperative period despite a trend in clinical guidelines recommending bupr...
Date: September 20, 2021
- Personal and Community Risk Factors Associated with Unsheltered Homelessness among Veterans
This study sought to answer the question, “Among Veterans who have experienced homelessness, what distinguishes those who were recently unsheltered from those who were not?” Findings showed that among Veterans experiencing homelessness, being unsheltered correlated with individual (e.g., poverty) and community risk factors (e.g., poor access to shelter). Veterans who reported being unsheltered wer...
Date: July 15, 2021
- VA Workgroup Consensus Statement on Suicide among Homeless Veterans and What We Still Need to Learn
This article serves as a consensus statement by the recently formed VA Suicide Prevention among Veterans Experiencing Homelessness Workgroup – and provides a brief overview of current initiatives to prevent suicide among homeless Veterans. This consensus statement also discusses methods of conducting research within this complex subset of the Veteran population, as well as future research endeavor...
Date: April 1, 2021
- Temporary Financial Assistance Improves Homeless Veterans’ Odds of Becoming Stably Housed
Temporary financial assistance (TFA) provides funds for rent, utility payments, security deposits, and other housing-related expenses for Veterans who have lost – or are at risk of losing – stable housing. This study sought to determine whether TFA improves housing outcomes for Veterans with housing instability. Findings showed that compared to Veterans not receiving temporary financial assistance...
Date: February 10, 2021
- Use of VHA Homeless Programs Decreases Suicide
This study assessed whether participation in VHA Homeless Programs is associated with reduced risk of all-cause and suicide mortality among Veterans with housing instability. Findings showed that the use of VHA Homeless Programs among Veterans reporting housing instability was significantly associated with reduced hazards of all-cause and suicide mortality. More than one-half of Veterans reporting...
Date: November 18, 2020
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 21 HOMELESSNESS focused projects
|| Capturing the Dynamics of Homelessness through Ethnography and Mobile Technology
|| Exploring Exits From Homelessness for Veterans with Serious Mental Illness
|| Identifying and Measuring Risk for Homelessness among Veterans
|| Current Evidence and Early Warning Indicators of Homelessness Risk Among Veterans
|| Screening and Referring Women Veterans for Homelessness Vulnerability
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Homelessness" publications displayed.
Palliative Care for Homeless Veterans || In Progress
...an article that discusses the VA Homelessness Health Services Research Initiative...Initiative to help reduce homelessness and improve integrated care among Veterans...2016 In this Issue: Working to End Homelessness among Veterans » Table of Contents...Palliative Care for Homeless Veterans Ongoing study Among the homeless, mean age at
Working to End Homelessness among Veterans || In Progress
...an article that discusses the VA Homelessness Health Services Research Initiative...Initiative to help reduce homelessness and improve integrated care among Veterans... In This Issue: Working to End Homelessness among Veterans About 11% of the...are Veterans, and HUD's 2015 Annual Homeless Assessment Report (AHAR) estimates
Management Briefs eBrief-no37 -- Homelessness among Veterans
Management Briefs eBrief-no37 -- Homelessness among Veterans...2011 A Review of the Literature: Homelessness among Veterans Investigators at...to examine the epidemiology of homelessness among Veterans, as well as risk
Early Warning Indicators of Homelessness Risk among Veterans || In Progress
...an article that discusses the VA Homelessness Health Services Research Initiative...Initiative to help reduce homelessness and improve integrated care among Veterans...2016 In this Issue: Working to End Homelessness among Veterans » Table of Contents...Contents Early Warning Indicators of Homelessness Risk among Veterans Ongoing study
Identifying and Overcoming Organizational Barriers to Serving Homeless Veterans || In Progress
...an article that discusses the VA Homelessness Health Services Research Initiative...Initiative to help reduce homelessness and improve integrated care among Veterans...2016 In this Issue: Working to End Homelessness among Veterans » Table of Contents...Serving Homeless Veterans Feature Article Between 2009 and 2015, homelessness among
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Homelessness" seminars are displayed.
Innovative Applications of Video Telehealth in Veteran Healthcare: Two Projects
|| Zeidler, Michelle
Playing Cards and Graphic Medicine: Connecting Veterans to Housing and Mental Health Services through Innovative, Veteran-Facing Products
|| Juhasz, Katherine
They’re Homeless in a Home: Retaining Veterans in VA Supported Housing
|| Gabrielian, Sonya
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
- Visit the VA website's main resource page for Veterans and their families who are facing housing challenges.
- Learn more about the research and methodology being used to identify, evaluate, and eliminate Veteran homelessness.