Individuals may become homeless for a variety of reasons, ranging from financial difficulties to long-term chronic illness or substance use disorders. Examples of studies by HSR&D researchers include screening Veterans to determine if they are at-risk of becoming homeless, what types of preventive measures work to keep those at-risk Veterans from losing housing, and how to best provide assistance to homeless Veterans
Search results were generated based on the search term "Homelessness". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 84 HOMELESSNESS focused publications)
- Fargo JD, Brignone E, Metraux S, Peterson R, Carter ME, Barrett T, Palmer M, Redd A, Samore MH, Gundlapalli AV. Homelessness following disability-related discharges from active duty military service in Afghanistan and Iraq. Disability and health journal. 2017 Oct 1; 10(4):592-599.
- Gundlapalli AV, Redd A, Bolton D, Vanneman ME, Carter ME, Johnson E, Samore MH, Fargo JD, O'Toole TP. Patient-aligned Care Team Engagement to Connect Veterans Experiencing Homelessness With Appropriate Health Care. Medical care. 2017 Sep 1; 55 Suppl 9 Suppl 2:S104-S110.
- Bossi KE. HSR&D e-Pub Briefs-4: Summaries of select journal articles published by HSR&D investigators on Prostate Cancer, Mental Health, Womens Health, Suicide, and Homelessness. 2017 Aug 3; 9(4).
- Metraux S. Using Administrative Data for Research on Homelessness: Applying a US Framework to Australia. Australian Economic Review. 2017 May 31; 50(2):205-213.
- Metraux S, Cusack M, Byrne TH, Hunt-Johnson N, True G. Pathways into homelessness among post-9/11-era veterans. Psychological Services. 2017 May 1; 14(2):229-237.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 26 HOMELESSNESS focused publication briefs)
- Women Veterans Who Experienced Past-Year Intimate Partner Violence Significantly More Susceptible to Housing Instability
This study used VA clinical screening data to assess the relationship between recent experience of intimate partner violence (IPV) and housing instability among women Veterans. Findings showed that female Veteran patients who screened positive for past-year IPV had up to four times the odds of experiencing housing instability. Women Veterans who screened positive for past-year IPV were significant...
Date: April 1, 2018
- Homeless Population-tailored Patient-Aligned Care Team Can Reduce Acute Care Services and Healthcare Costs
This trial compared healthcare service use and cost outcomes among homeless Veterans enrolled in a traditional (not tailored to a homeless population) PACT with outcomes among Veterans enrolled in a homeless population–tailored H-PACT. Findings showed that annual costs per patient were significantly higher in the PACT group than the H-PACT group ($37,415 vs $28,036), and most cost savings came fro...
Date: February 15, 2018
- Special Journal Issue Features Articles by HSR&D Researchers on Homelessness among Veterans
For more than two decades, VA has dedicated substantial resources to addressing homelessness among Veterans. Moreover, in the past five years VA has spent billions of dollars on a federal initiative to prevent and end homelessness among Veterans. This special issue of Psychological Services focuses on homelessness and includes several articles by HSR&D researchers....
Date: May 1, 2017
- Engagement in Hepatitis C Virus Care among Homeless and non-Homeless VA Patients
This study sought to describe engagement in hepatitis C virus (HCV) care among homeless and non-homeless Veterans in the new era of HCV treatment, which includes direct-acting agents (DAAs) with shorter treatment durations, fewer side effects, and higher sustained virologic response (SVR) rates than the older treatment regimens. Findings showed that VA providers do a better job of testing for and ...
Date: March 1, 2017
- Effects of Homeless Veterans’ Use of Peer Mentors
This trial tested the use of peer mentors among homeless Veterans at VA primary care clinics. Findings showed that while significant impacts of peer mentors on healthcare patterns or costs were not detected, some patients engaged in frequent contact with peer mentors. Most (87%) of the peer mentor group had at least one peer contact – and spent the most time discussing housing and health issues. P...
Date: February 1, 2017
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 19 HOMELESSNESS focused projects
|| Exploring Exits From Homelessness for Veterans with Serious Mental Illness
|| Identifying and Measuring Risk for Homelessness among Veterans
|| Current Evidence and Early Warning Indicators of Homelessness Risk Among Veterans
|| Screening and Referring Women Veterans for Homelessness Vulnerability
|| Development and Initial Validation of the Homelessness Severity Index
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Homelessness" publications displayed.
A Critical Review of the Literature Regarding Homelessness among Veterans
...A Critical Review of the Literature Regarding Homelessness among Veterans A Critical Review of the Literature Regarding Homelessness among Veterans...
...disabilities. Question #2A Which risk factors are associated with new homelessness or a return to homelessness among Veterans? And how do these...
Improving the Quality of Healthcare for Women Veterans
...Veterans is increasing. Current VA homelessness screening aims to identify Veterans who are homeless, and those whose homelessness is imminent....
...Improving Access Emerging Evidence Improving Access VA/HSR&D researchers conduct an extensive number of investigations designed to improve clinical...
Research for Women Veterans
...are four times more likely than non-Veteran women to experience homelessness. The elimination of Veteran homelessness requires preventing those...
» View more Publications
The most recent "Homelessness" seminars are displayed.
They’re Homeless in a Home: Retaining Veterans in VA Supported Housing
|| Gabrielian, Sonya
Housing is Health: Promoting Residential and Medical Homes for Homeless Veterans
|| Andersen, Ronald
Risk Factors for Homelessness among Women Veterans – Implications for Prevention and Services
|| Hamilton, Alison
ESP Report: Homelessness Among Veterans
|| Metraux, Stephen
» View more Cyberseminars
- Watch these videos of HSR&D researchers describing their research around homelessness
- Visit the VA website's main resource page for Veterans and their families who are facing housing challenges.
- Learn more about the research and methodology being used to identify, evaluate, and eliminate Veteran homelessness.