Individuals may become homeless for a variety of reasons, ranging from financial difficulties to long-term chronic illness or substance use disorders. Examples of studies by HSR&D researchers include screening Veterans to determine if they are at-risk of becoming homeless, what types of preventive measures work to keep those at-risk Veterans from losing housing, and how to best provide assistance to homeless Veterans
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Homelessness". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 119 HOMELESSNESS focused publications)
- Gelberg L, Edwards ST, Hooker ER, Niederhausen M, Shaner A, Cowan BJ, Warde CM. Integrating Interprofessional Trainees into a Complex Care Program for Veterans Experiencing Homelessness: Effects on Health Services Utilization. Journal of general internal medicine. 2021 Sep 30.
- Kuhn R, Henwood B, Lawton A, Kleva M, Murali K, King C, Gelberg L. COVID-19 vaccine access and attitudes among people experiencing homelessness from pilot mobile phone survey in Los Angeles, CA. PLoS ONE. 2021 Jul 30; 16(7):e0255246.
- Grattan RE, Tryon VL, Lara N, Gabrielian SE, Melnikow J, Niendam TA. Risk and Resilience Factors for Youth Homelessness in Western Countries: A Systematic Review. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.). 2021 Jul 29; appips202000133.
- Chinchilla M, Gabrielian SE. Factors Associated with Unsheltered Latinx Homelessness in Los Angeles County. Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research. 2021 Jul 1; 23(2):159-169.
- Nyamathi AM, Wall SA, Yadav K, Shin SS, Chang A, Arce N, Cuellar H, Fernando S, White K, Gelberg L, Salem BE. Engaging the Community in Designing a Hepatitis C Virus Treatment Program for Adults Experiencing Homelessness. Qualitative Health Research. 2021 Jun 30; 10497323211021782.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 38 HOMELESSNESS focused publication briefs)
- Personal and Community Risk Factors Associated with Unsheltered Homelessness among Veterans
This study sought to answer the question, “Among Veterans who have experienced homelessness, what distinguishes those who were recently unsheltered from those who were not?” Findings showed that among Veterans experiencing homelessness, being unsheltered correlated with individual (e.g., poverty) and community risk factors (e.g., poor access to shelter). Veterans who reported being unsheltered wer...
Date: July 15, 2021
- VA Workgroup Consensus Statement on Suicide among Homeless Veterans and What We Still Need to Learn
This article serves as a consensus statement by the recently formed VA Suicide Prevention among Veterans Experiencing Homelessness Workgroup – and provides a brief overview of current initiatives to prevent suicide among homeless Veterans. This consensus statement also discusses methods of conducting research within this complex subset of the Veteran population, as well as future research endeavor...
Date: April 1, 2021
- Temporary Financial Assistance Improves Homeless Veterans’ Odds of Becoming Stably Housed
Temporary financial assistance (TFA) provides funds for rent, utility payments, security deposits, and other housing-related expenses for Veterans who have lost – or are at risk of losing – stable housing. This study sought to determine whether TFA improves housing outcomes for Veterans with housing instability. Findings showed that compared to Veterans not receiving temporary financial assistance...
Date: February 10, 2021
- Use of VHA Homeless Programs Decreases Suicide
This study assessed whether participation in VHA Homeless Programs is associated with reduced risk of all-cause and suicide mortality among Veterans with housing instability. Findings showed that the use of VHA Homeless Programs among Veterans reporting housing instability was significantly associated with reduced hazards of all-cause and suicide mortality. More than one-half of Veterans reporting...
Date: November 18, 2020
- Methods of Suicide Differ Between Stably and Unstably Housed Veterans
This study examined whether Veterans’ methods of suicide varied by housing status. Findings showed that across the study period, 3% of Veterans in the study population were unstably housed. Among the 7,005 Veterans who died by suicide, 4% were unstably housed. After accounting for demographic and health factors, unstably housed Veterans had an 86% increased hazard of suicide from self-poisoning fr...
Date: April 12, 2020
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 21 HOMELESSNESS focused projects
|| Capturing the Dynamics of Homelessness through Ethnography and Mobile Technology
|| Exploring Exits From Homelessness for Veterans with Serious Mental Illness
|| Identifying and Measuring Risk for Homelessness among Veterans
|| Current Evidence and Early Warning Indicators of Homelessness Risk Among Veterans
|| Screening and Referring Women Veterans for Homelessness Vulnerability
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Homelessness" publications displayed.
Older Formerly Homeless Veterans Living in HUD-VASH Housing
Older Formerly Homeless Veterans Living in HUD-VASH Housing HSR&D’s monthly...Issue: Introduction: Older formerly homeless Veterans living in HUD-VASH housing
Working to End Homelessness among Veterans || In Progress
...an article that discusses the VA Homelessness Health Services Research Initiative...Initiative to help reduce homelessness and improve integrated care among Veterans... In This Issue: Working to End Homelessness among Veterans About 11% of the...are Veterans, and HUD's 2015 Annual Homeless Assessment Report (AHAR) estimates
Early Warning Indicators of Homelessness Risk among Veterans || In Progress
...an article that discusses the VA Homelessness Health Services Research Initiative...Initiative to help reduce homelessness and improve integrated care among Veterans...2016 In this Issue: Working to End Homelessness among Veterans » Table of Contents...Contents Early Warning Indicators of Homelessness Risk among Veterans Ongoing study
Palliative Care for Homeless Veterans || In Progress
...an article that discusses the VA Homelessness Health Services Research Initiative...Initiative to help reduce homelessness and improve integrated care among Veterans...2016 In this Issue: Working to End Homelessness among Veterans » Table of Contents...Palliative Care for Homeless Veterans Ongoing study Among the homeless, mean age at
Improving Outcomes for Homeless Veterans with Peer Support || In Progress
...an article that discusses the VA Homelessness Health Services Research Initiative...Initiative to help reduce homelessness and improve integrated care among Veterans...2016 In this Issue: Working to End Homelessness among Veterans » Table of Contents...Contents Improving Outcomes for Homeless Veterans with Peer Support Ongoing study
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Homelessness" seminars are displayed.
Playing Cards and Graphic Medicine: Connecting Veterans to Housing and Mental Health Services through Innovative, Veteran-Facing Products
|| Juhasz, Katherine
They’re Homeless in a Home: Retaining Veterans in VA Supported Housing
|| Gabrielian, Sonya
Housing is Health: Promoting Residential and Medical Homes for Homeless Veterans
|| Wilder, Louis
Risk Factors for Homelessness among Women Veterans – Implications for Prevention and Services
|| Hamilton, Alison
ESP Report: Homelessness Among Veterans
|| Balshem, Howard
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
- Visit the VA website's main resource page for Veterans and their families who are facing housing challenges.
- Learn more about the research and methodology being used to identify, evaluate, and eliminate Veteran homelessness.