Chronic Diseases/Conditions: Hypertension
Chronic diseases and conditions (i.e., cancer, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, and stroke) are prolonged conditions that often do not improve and can have a profound effect on a person's quality of life. Important issues being studied include how to improve chronic disease management, including patient self-management, as well as strategies to improve chronic disease prevention.
Search results were generated based on the search term " Hypertension". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 456 HYPERTENSION focused publications)
- Kohok DD, Sico JJ, Baye F, Myers L, Coffing J, Kamalesh M, Bravata DM. Post-stroke hypertension control and receipt of health care services among veterans. Journal of clinical hypertension (Greenwich, Conn.). 2018 Feb 4; 20(2):382-387.
- Auerbach BJ, Littman AJ, Tinker L, Larson J, Krieger J, Young B, Neuhouser M. Associations of 100% fruit juice versus whole fruit with hypertension and diabetes risk in postmenopausal women: Results from the Women's Health Initiative. Preventive medicine. 2017 Dec 1; 105:212-218.
- Tanner RM, Shimbo D, Irvin MR, Spruill TM, Bromfield SG, Seals SR, Young BA, Muntner P. Chronic kidney disease and incident apparent treatment-resistant hypertension among blacks: Data from the Jackson Heart Study. Journal of clinical hypertension (Greenwich, Conn.). 2017 Nov 1; 19(11):1117-1124.
- Hysong SJ, SoRelle R, Broussard Smitham K, Petersen LA. Reports of unintended consequences of financial incentives to improve management of hypertension. PLoS ONE. 2017 Sep 21; 12(9):e0184856.
- Houston TK, Fix GM, Shimada SL, Long JA, Gordon HS, Pope C, Volkman J, Allison JJ, DeLaughter K, Orner M, Bokhour BG. African American Veterans Storytelling: A Multisite Randomized Trial to Improve Hypertension. Medical care. 2017 Sep 1; 55 Suppl 9 Suppl 2:S50-S58.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 48 HYPERTENSION focused publication briefs)
- Impact of Intensive BP Therapy on Patient-Reported Outcomes
This randomized controlled trial compared two strategies for managing systolic blood pressure (SBP) in older adults with hypertension – an intensive strategy with an SBP target of <120 mmHg versus a standard care strategy targeting <140 mmHg – and whether such intensive therapy affects patient-reported outcomes. Findings showed that intensive therapy resulted in a 14.8 mmHg lower blood pressure co...
Date: August 24, 2017
- PACT Initiative Did Not Reduce Most Disparities in Improved Hypertension or Diabetes Control among VA Patients
This study sought to determine whether PACTs helped mitigate national racial/ethnic disparities in VA clinical outcomes, after adjusting for variable implementation and social determinants of health. Findings showed that improvements in clinical outcomes for hypertension and diabetes control had not been achieved for whites or most racial/ethnic groups four years into VA’s system-wide roll-out of ...
Date: June 1, 2017
- Racial Disparities in HIV Quality of Care that May Extend to Common Comorbid Conditions
To more fully understand patterns of racial disparities in the quality of care for persons with HIV infection, this study examined a national cohort of Veterans in care for HIV in the VA healthcare system during 2013. Findings showed that racial disparities were identified in quality of care specific to HIV infection – and in the care of common comorbid conditions. Blacks were less likely than whi...
Date: September 22, 2016
- Pay-for-Performance Intervention Improves Blood Pressure Control among Black Veterans with Hypertension without Unintended Consequences
This study sought to evaluate the effect of a pay-for-performance intervention on the quality of hypertension care provided to black Veterans. Findings showed that VA physicians who received performance incentives for meeting guideline-recommended hypertension quality measures demonstrated better performance than control group physicians on a combined measure of BP control or appropriate clinical ...
Date: June 22, 2016
- Telemedicine-Based Intervention Improves Outcomes for Veterans with Poorly Controlled Diabetes
Investigators in this pilot trial developed the Advanced Comprehensive Diabetes Care (ACDC) intervention, which bundles four evidence-based telemedicine approaches – telemonitoring, self-management support, medication management, and depression management – and is designed for practical delivery by existing VA Home Telehealth program nurses using standard VA equipment. Findings showed that the ACD...
Date: November 5, 2015
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 30 HYPERTENSION focused projects
|| Factors and Outcomes Associated with Inappropriate Prescribing of Phosphodiesterase-5-Inhibitors for Pulmonary Hypertension
|| Assessing Hypertension Care for Aged Veterans: Balancing Risks and Benefits
|| Aligning Transitions of Care for Post-Stroke Patients with Hypertension
|| Randomized Trial of Titrated Disease Management for Patients with Hypertension
|| Using Stories to address disparities in Hypertension
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample " Hypertension" publications displayed.
...for more aggressive hypertension management. Less than 25 percent of patients diagnosed with hypertension maintain a blood pressure that is within...
...HSR&D Impacts HSR&D Impacts Health Services Reserach and Development Service Impacts 2001 » Back to main Impacts page Message from the Director...
HSR&D Research Briefs
...140mmHG. Of particular relevance is the large component of elderly hypertension patients—something that should translate into understanding...
October 2012 FORUM
...With funding from VA HSR&D, we assessed the effectiveness of financial incentives to overcome clinical inertia and improve hypertension guideline...
...blockers frequently are used to treat hypertension. The new reminder system could affect treatment for one-third of all hypertension patients...
» View more Publications
There are currently no videos for this topic.
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.
- Learn more about the role of VA research in an ongoing, 80-site hypertension study.
- Visit the VHA's MyHealtheVet high blood pressure information page .