Cancer Care and Prevention
Cancer occurs when some of the body’s cells divide without stopping and spread into surrounding tissues. Malfunctioning genes trigger the formation of cancer cells, and those malfunctions may be inherited, or may arise as a result of damage to DNA caused by certain environmental exposures—including chemicals or ultraviolet radiation. Cancer screenings are a key preventive care measure, and can help detect cancer in its early stages—which can contribute to early treatment, increased survival rates, and better health outcomes.
VA conducts cancer research to help better understand how Veterans’ military experience may impact the development of certain cancers; how lifestyle choices known to cause cancer—such as tobacco use—may disproportionately impact them; and to build the evidence-base for effective, appropriate cancer screening tests and tools.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Cancer". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 3348 CANCER focused publications)
- Champion VL, Monahan PO, Stump TE, Biederman EB, Vachon E, Katz ML, Rawl SM, Baltic RD, Kettler CD, Zaborski NL, Paskett ED. The Effect of Two Interventions to Increase Breast Cancer Screening in Rural Women. Cancers. 2022 Sep 7; 14(18).
- Kim RY, Rendle KA, Mitra N, Saia CA, Neslund-Dudas C, Greenlee RT, Burnett-Hartman AN, Honda SA, Simoff MJ, Schapira MM, Croswell JM, Meza R, Ritzwoller DP, Vachani A. Racial Disparities in Adherence to Annual Lung Cancer Screening and Recommended Follow-Up Care: A Multicenter Cohort Study. Annals of the American Thoracic Society. 2022 Sep 1; 19(9):1561-1569.
- Maratt JK, Imperiale TF. Using Online Colorectal Cancer Risk Calculators to Guide Screening Decision-making. The American journal of medicine. 2022 Sep 1.
- Schroeck FR, Ould Ismail AA, Haggstrom DA, Sanchez SL, Walker DR, Zubkoff L. Data-driven approach to implementation mapping for the selection of implementation strategies: a case example for risk-aligned bladder cancer surveillance. Implementation science : IS. 2022 Sep 1; 17(1):58.
- Nair VS, Hui AB, Chabon JJ, Esfahani MS, Stehr H, Nabet BY, Zhou L, Chaudhuri AA, Benson J, Ayers K, Bedi H, Ramsey M, Van Wert R, Antic S, Lui N, Backhus L, Berry M, Sung AW, Massion PP, Shrager JB, Alizadeh AA, Diehn M. Genomic Profiling of Bronchoalveolar Lavage Fluid in Lung Cancer. Cancer Research. 2022 Aug 16; 82(16):2838-2847.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 90 CANCER focused publication briefs)
- Excess Mortality Rates among Post-9/11 Veterans Compared with General US Population, Particularly among Veterans with TBI
This study sought to assess the total all-cause and cause-specific mortality burden – and to estimate the total number of excess deaths among post-9/11 Veterans with and without exposure to traumatic brain injury (TBI) compared with the total US population. Findings showed that post-9/11 Veterans experienced excess all-cause and cause-specific mortality compared with the total US population, which...
Date: February 11, 2022
- Low-Value Prostate Cancer Screenings Common in VA; Low-Value Breast, Cervical, Colorectal Screening Rare
This study sought to describe the prevalence and association of multilevel factors, including key patient-centered medical home (PCMH) domains, with four common low-value cancer screenings (breast, cervical, colorectal, and prostate) within the VA healthcare system. Findings showed that low-value prostate cancer screenings were common, although low-value breast, cervical, and colorectal testing wa...
Date: October 22, 2021
- Fewer than Two-Thirds of Veterans Receive Timely Lung Cancer Screening Follow-Up
This retrospective cohort study sought to determine adherence to recommended next steps (i.e., annual screening or evaluation of screen-detected findings) in a national cohort of Veterans screened for lung cancer – and to identify factors associated with delayed or absent follow-up. Findings showed that less than two-thirds of Veterans received timely recommended follow-up after an initial lung ca...
Date: July 8, 2021
- Racial Differences in Conservative Management of Low- to Intermediate-Risk Prostate Cancer among Veterans
This study sought to determine whether there are any racial differences in the receipt and duration of conservative management among Veterans treated in the VA healthcare system. Findings showed that African American Veterans were slightly less likely to receive conservative management than White Veterans with localized prostate cancer. Further, among patients receiving conservative management, Af...
Date: September 28, 2020
- VA Patients Have Fewer Potentially Avoidable Hospitalizations Post-Chemotherapy than Medicare Patients
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released a new quality measure to reduce potentially avoidable hospital admissions among patients receiving outpatient chemotherapy. In this study, investigators used this CMS measure to compare the quality of care received by chemotherapy patients treated through traditional Fee-for-Service Medicare versus VA, using a cohort of dually-enrolled ...
Date: July 15, 2020
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 88 CANCER focused projects
|| Patient Risk Perception and Decision-Making about Adherence to Repeat Cancer Screening
|| Identifying Risk Factors for New Persistent Opioid Use Among Veterans Following Treatment for Early Stage Cancer
|| Defining Quality of Care in Lung Cancer
|| Implementing Risk-aligned Bladder Cancer Surveillance
|| Imaging Surveillance After Lung Cancer Treatment
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Cancer" publications displayed.
Reports in Progress
Inhibitors for Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Hypofractionation Radiation Therapy...for Definitive Treatment of Selected Cancers: A Comparative Effectiveness Review
Improving Cancer Care || In Progress
...Cancer is soon expected to be the leading cause of death in the United States...million people are diagnosed with cancer and more than 500,000 people die of...Improving Cancer Care Overview Individual Research Studies on Cancer Multilevel...Hepatocellular Cancer Helping Optimize Information for Cancer and Effective Pain
Evidence Brief: Proton Beam Therapy for Treatment of Localized Prostate Cancer
...for Treatment of Localized Prostate Cancer...for Treatment of Localized Prostate Cancer H Evidence Synthesis Program Evidence...for Treatment of Localized Prostate Cancer August 2022 Recommended citation: Hickam
Evidence Brief: Robot-assisted Surgery for Esophageal Cancer Data Companion
Robot-assisted Surgery for Esophageal Cancer Data Companion...Robot-assisted Surgery for Esophageal Cancer Data Companion December 2021 Robot-assisted...Robot-assisted Surgery for Esophageal Cancer Data Companion Evidence Synthesis Program
Overview: Improving Cancer Care || In Progress
...Cancer is soon expected to be the leading cause of death in the United States...million people are diagnosed with cancer and more than 500,000 people die of...Improving Cancer Care » Table of Contents Improving Cancer Care Overview Cancer is...million people are diagnosed with cancer and more than 500,000 people die of
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Cancer" seminars are displayed.
Cervical Cancer Screening in VA: Unique individual and health system challenges
|| Haskell, Sally
Low-value Cancer Screenings in the Veterans Health Administration: Rates and Factors Associated with Overuse of Breast, Cervical, Colorectal, and Prostate Cancer Testing
|| Schuttner, Linnaea
Robot-assisted Surgery for Esophageal Cancer: Analysis of Short- and Long-term Outcomes
|| Mederos, Michael
A Primary Care PACT to Improve the Health Care of Veterans with Serious Mental Illness: SMI PACT
|| Young, Alex
Phenotyping Physiologic Measurement of Lung Function in the VA EHR Using Automated Tools
|| Akgün, Kathleen
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.