Clinical Epidemiology Research using National MCA and CDW Laboratory Data: Perspectives from the Frontline
Seminar date: 5/2/2016
Description: This session will be an introduction to utilizing VA National Laboratory data. The Managerial Cost Accounting (MCA) System and Corporate Data Warehouse (CDW) datasets both contain laboratory information that can be leveraged for addressing research questions. General details for both datasets will be provided, along with their strengths and limitations, and examples of how the information has been used in clinical epidemiologic research will be presented.
• Present general description of both databases, strength, limitations
• Discuss examples of recent clinical epidemiology research that has used VA laboratory data
• Review “best practices” using VA laboratory databases
• Review approaches for using specific data to evaluate outcomes
• Discuss limitations of secondary data use