Principal Investigator: Paul Shekelle, MD PhD
Co-Investigators: Melinda Maggard-Gibbons, MD, MSHS; Isomi M. Miake-Lye, PhD; Christopher P. Childers, MD; Sean M. O'Neill, MD, PhD Contributing Investigators: Selene Mak, PhDc; Roberta Shanman, MLS; Jessica M. Beroes, BS
Download PDF: Complete Report, Abstract, Report, Appendices
The perioperative management of antiplatelet therapy (APT) for patients with cerebrovascular or peripheral vascular diseases remains unclear.
This review was requested to assess the evidence for the following Key Questions:
1. Among patients on APT for cerebrovascular disease or peripheral vascular disease undergoing elective non-cardiac surgical procedures, including intraocular procedures, what are the benefits and harms of holding APT prior to surgery?
2. How does benefit/risk vary by the timing of discontinuation?
3. How does benefit/risk vary by type of surgical procedure, including intraocular procedures?
4. How does benefit/risk vary by type of APT?
5. How does benefit/risk vary by the timing of resuming APT?
Systematic Review: Management of Antiplatelet Therapy among Patients Undergoing Elective Non-Cardiac Surgery (Management eBrief)