Talk to the Veterans Crisis Line now
U.S. flag
An official website of the United States government

Health Services Research & Development

Go to the ORD website
Go to the QUERI website

HSR&D Citation Abstract

Search | Search by Center | Search by Source | Keywords in Title

The association between mental health functioning and nontraumatic lower extremity amputations in veterans with diabetes.

Tseng CL, Sambamoorthi U, Helmer D, Tiwari A, Rosen AK, Rajan M, Pogach L. The association between mental health functioning and nontraumatic lower extremity amputations in veterans with diabetes. General hospital psychiatry. 2007 Nov 7; 29(6):537-46.

Dimensions for VA is a web-based tool available to VA staff that enables detailed searches of published research and research projects.

If you have VA-Intranet access, click here for more information vaww.hsrd.research.va.gov/dimensions/

VA staff not currently on the VA network can access Dimensions by registering for an account using their VA email address.
   Search Dimensions for VA for this citation
* Don't have VA-internal network access or a VA email address? Try searching the free-to-the-public version of Dimensions



Abstract:

OBJECTIVE: The objective of this study was to evaluate the association between mental health functioning and lower extremity amputations (LEAs) in veterans with diabetes. METHOD: A retrospective study of 1999 Large Veteran Health Survey (LVHS) respondents with diabetes who were Veterans Health Administration clinic users in fiscal years (FYs) 1998-2000 was performed. The outcome measure was type of LEAs (major, minor and none) in FY 2000. The primary independent variable was mental health functioning [adapted Medical Outcomes Study Short Form-36 mental component summary (MCS) score, with higher being better] from the LVHS. Multinomial logistic regressions were performed to evaluate the association between MCS score and LEAs, adjusting for control variables derived from FY 1999. RESULTS: Of the 114,890 individuals included in the study, there were 450 (3.9 per 1000 individuals) major and 431 (3.8 per 1000 individuals) minor LEAs in FY 2000. Individuals with major and minor LEAs had lower mean MCS scores than those without LEAs (39.9, 42.2 and 43.4). After controlling for other independent variables, a five-point increase in MCS score was associated with a 5% decrease in the risk of major LEAs (odds ratio [OR] = 0.95; 95% confidence interval [95% CI] = [0.94, 0.96]) but was not related to minor LEAs (OR = 1.01; 95% CI = [0.97, 1.05]). CONCLUSION: Footcare programs need to assess individuals for mental health functioning as a risk factor and to develop appropriate interventions to reduce the risk of major amputation.





Questions about the HSR&D website? Email the Web Team.

Any health information on this website is strictly for informational purposes and is not intended as medical advice. It should not be used to diagnose or treat any condition.