Talk to the Veterans Crisis Line now
U.S. flag
An official website of the United States government

VA Health Systems Research

Go to the VA ORD website
Go to the QUERI website

HSR&D Citation Abstract

Search | Search by Center | Search by Source | Keywords in Title

Effectiveness of a community screening program for metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular risk factor identification in young South Asians adults.

Prasad M, Flowers E, Mathur A, Sridhar V, Molina C, Turakhia M. Effectiveness of a community screening program for metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular risk factor identification in young South Asians adults. Diabetes & metabolic syndrome. 2015 Jan 1; 9(1):38-41.

Related HSR&D Project(s)

Dimensions for VA is a web-based tool available to VA staff that enables detailed searches of published research and research projects.

If you have VA-Intranet access, click here for more information

VA staff not currently on the VA network can access Dimensions by registering for an account using their VA email address.
   Search Dimensions for VA for this citation
* Don't have VA-internal network access or a VA email address? Try searching the free-to-the-public version of Dimensions


AIMS: Metabolic syndrome has been associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease. We aimed to determine the effectiveness of a community-based screening program in identifying cardiovascular risk factors in healthy young South Asian population. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Between 2006 and 2011, 3314 patients of all ages were recruited as a part of a prospective cohort study investigating cardiovascular risk in South Asians. We analyzed 1537 patients between the ages of 18 and 40. Demographic and baseline characteristics including baseline laboratory markers and blood pressures were obtained at initial visit. RESULTS: The total cohort of 1537 patients was 66.5% male, and the mean age was 35 5 years. Among participants who denied a history of hypercholesterolemia, 62% had elevated LDL-C ( > 100 mg/dL), and 8% had markedly elevated LDL-C ( > 160 mg/dL). Overall, diabetes was present in 4%, hypertension was present in 12% and hyperlipidemia was present in 46%. Low HDL-C (50% of men, 52% of women) and elevated triglycerides (44% of men, 18% of women) were the most prevalent components of metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome was present in 14% of men and 8% of women and one-third (30%) of men and one-fifth (19%) of women had at least two component risk factors. CONCLUSIONS: This is the largest study to date assessing effectiveness of a community based screening program aiming to identify cardiovascular risk in young South Asians. We note significant modifiable risk at a young age. Such community based interventions can be effective at detecting and managing risk factors early in this vulnerable population.

Questions about the HSR website? Email the Web Team

Any health information on this website is strictly for informational purposes and is not intended as medical advice. It should not be used to diagnose or treat any condition.