Talk to the Veterans Crisis Line now
U.S. flag
An official website of the United States government

Health Services Research & Development

Go to the ORD website
Go to the QUERI website

HSR&D Citation Abstract

Search | Search by Center | Search by Source | Keywords in Title

Examining Hepatitis C Virus Treatment Preference Heterogeneity Using Segmentation Analysis: Treat Now or Defer?

Fraenkel L, Lim J, Garcia-Tsao G, Reyna V, Monto A. Examining Hepatitis C Virus Treatment Preference Heterogeneity Using Segmentation Analysis: Treat Now or Defer? Journal of clinical gastroenterology. 2016 Mar 1; 50(3):252-7.

Dimensions for VA is a web-based tool available to VA staff that enables detailed searches of published research and research projects.

If you have VA-Intranet access, click here for more information vaww.hsrd.research.va.gov/dimensions/

VA staff not currently on the VA network can access Dimensions by registering for an account using their VA email address.
   Search Dimensions for VA for this citation
Abstract:

OBJECTIVE: To improve our understanding of patients'' treatment preferences for chronic hepatitis C (HCV). METHODS: Subjects with HCV were recruited from 2 VA medical centers. Preferences were ascertained using conjoint analysis. We used segmentation analysis to examine whether there were groups of respondents with similar preferences that were systematically different from the preferences of others. We then measured the associations between treatment preference with subjects'' characteristics and their gist principles related to living with HCV and the burden of therapy. RESULTS: A total of 199 subjects participated in this study. The segmentation analysis demonstrated that subjects could be classified into 2 distinct groups. The larger group [group 1, n = 118 (59%)] opted for current treatment and the other [group 2, n = 81 (41%)] preferred to defer. Patients with cirrhosis were less likely to belong to group 2 (prefer to defer) compared with those without cirrhosis (40.5% vs. 21.3%), whereas subjects self-identifying as African American were more likely to belong to group 2 than white subjects (51.3% vs. 30.5%). Members of group 1 had a more positive overall gist principles related to HCV compared with members of group 2 [mean (SD) score = 28.63 (3.06) vs. 26.46 (2.79), P < 0.0001]. These gist principles mediated the relationship between race and treatment preference (Sobel test statistic = -2.68, 2-tailed P = 0.007). CONCLUSIONS: Our findings indicate that there are groups of HCV patients with similar preferences that are distinct from other groups'' preferences. Patients'' gist principles related to the significance of having a chronic viral infection and the burdens of therapy are strongly related to their current treatment decisions. These findings help inform how best to initiate and deliver treatment for patients with HCV.





Questions about the HSR&D website? Email the Web Team.

Any health information on this website is strictly for informational purposes and is not intended as medical advice. It should not be used to diagnose or treat any condition.