Navigating VA Data Sources: An Overview of Commonly Used Databases
Maria Souden, MSI, PhD
Seminar date: 11/1/2021
Description: This session provides an introduction to the range of existing VA data available for analytic use. We present a high-level overview of the content of some commonly used VA data sources, a brief update on the EHR Modernization and its impact on data, considerations for using VA data, basic information about data access and tools, and additional resources for data documentation, knowledge, and support. The session focuses on an introductory view to the VA's data landscape and serves as the kick-off to future Database & Methods sessions, drilling down into particular data sources and topics.
There are no prerequisites for this session; however, participants may find it helpful to view the preceding Database & Methods cyberseminar session, "Meet VIReC: The Researcher's Guide to VA Data", prior to attending.
By the end of this session, participants should be able to:
1. Identify VA data sources commonly used in research and quality improvement inquiry.
2. Describe the primary differences in the origin and use of various data sources.
3. Consider the implications of the EHR Modernization and its impact on data.
4. Begin to conceptualize how VA data can be applied to specific research questions or areas of study.
5. Know where to go for additional data resources and support.