Heart disease is a general term for several conditions affecting the heart muscle and the blood vessels around the heart itself. The most common form of heart disease, coronary artery disease (CAD) occurs when the major artery supplying blood to the heart muscle becomes blocked, resulting in a heart attack. Other forms of heart disease include hypertension, angina, arrhythmias (uneven heart rhythm), and problems with the heart valves. VA research into heart disease encompasses many aspects of care including access, delivery, prevention, and quality of life.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Heart Disease". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 208 HEART DISEASE focused publications)
- Krishnamurthi N, Schopfer DW, Ahi T, Bettencourt M, Piros K, Ringer R, Shen H, Kehler JP, Whooley MA. Predictors of Patient Participation and Completion of Home-Based Cardiac Rehabilitation in the Veterans Health Administration for Patients with Coronary Heart Disease. The American journal of cardiology. 2018 Sep 26; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2018.09.024.
- Groeneveld PW, Medvedeva EL, Walker L, Segal AG, Richardson DM, Epstein AJ. Outcomes of Care for Ischemic Heart Disease and Chronic Heart Failure in the Veterans Health Administration. JAMA cardiology. 2018 Jul 1; 3(7):563-571.
- Chokshi NP, Adusumalli S, Small DS, Morris A, Feingold J, Ha YP, Lynch MD, Rareshide CAL, Hilbert V, Patel MS. Loss-Framed Financial Incentives and Personalized Goal-Setting to Increase Physical Activity Among Ischemic Heart Disease Patients Using Wearable Devices: The ACTIVE REWARD Randomized Trial. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2018 Jun 13; 7(12).
- Briasoulis A, Inampudi C, Akintoye E, Alvarez P, Panaich S, Vaughan-Sarrazin M. Safety and Efficacy of Novel Oral Anticoagulants Versus Warfarin in Medicare Beneficiaries With Atrial Fibrillation and Valvular Heart Disease. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2018 Apr 5; 7(8).
- Patel J, Al Rifai M, Scheuner MT, Shea S, Blumenthal RS, Nasir K, Blaha MJ, McEvoy JW. Basic vs More Complex Definitions of Family History in the Prediction of Coronary Heart Disease: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Mayo Clinic proceedings. 2018 Sep 1; 93(9):1213-1223.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 79 HEART DISEASE focused publication briefs)
- Higher Statin Adherence Associated with Lower Mortality in Veterans with Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease
This analysis sought to determine whether statin adherence is associated with mortality in stable patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD). Findings showed that higher statin adherence was associated with lower mortality in a national sample of Veterans with ACSVD. Also, ischemic heart disease or stroke hospitalizations in the VA healthcare system were more frequent in Veterans...
Date: February 13, 2019
- Brief Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Reduces Suicidal Ideation among Veterans with Chronic Illness
Brief cognitive behavioral therapy (bCBT) intervention delivered by VA mental health providers in primary care settings is effective for depression, anxiety, and improves physical health quality of life. Investigators in the current study determined the effect of bCBT on suicidal ideation among Veterans with cardiopulmonary chronic illness receiving mental health treatment in a VA primary care set...
Date: February 8, 2019
- Underuse of Statins among Veterans with Hypercholesterolemia
This study sought to examine the prevalence and treatment of Veterans with uncontrolled severe hypercholesterolemia who received VA healthcare. Findings showed a marked underuse of statins in Veterans with uncontrolled severe hypercholesterolemia. Within six months of this abnormal lab value, only 52% were being treated with statins, and less than 10% were on high-intensity statin therapy as recom...
Date: September 1, 2018
- Echocardiography Testing Can Be Redesigned to Answer Focused Diagnostic Questions While Reducing Costs
In 2006, the VA Palo Alto Health Care System (PAVA) added an alternative to the standard transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE; cost= $240) that evaluated only the left ventricle (LV-TTE; cost = $60). Evaluation of left ventricular ejection fraction is one of the most common indications for a TTE. Investigators in this study evaluated the use of this new option and its association with the overall use...
Date: July 23, 2018
- Substantial Variation in Cardiovascular Mortality Rates across the VA Healthcare System
This study sought to determine whether there are substantial differences in cardiovascular outcomes across 138 VA medical centers. Findings showed that there is substantial variation in risk-standardized cardiovascular mortality rates across the VA healthcare system, suggesting differences in the quality of cardiovascular healthcare. Ischemic heart disease (IHD) annual death rates at the VAMC with...
Date: July 1, 2018
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 11 HEART DISEASE focused projects
|| Mobile Health Strategies for Veterans with Coronary Heart Disease
|| Costs and Outcomes of Chronic Heart Disease Care in the VHA
|| Effects of Patient's Models of Heart Disease on Preventative Behaviors
|| Ethnic Differences - Management of Patients with Ischemic Heart Disease
|| Implementation of Ischemic Heart Disease Clinical Practice Guidelines
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Heart Disease" publications displayed.
Treatment of Anemia in Patients with Heart Disease
...Treatment of Anemia in Patients with Heart Disease Treatment of Anemia in Patients with Heart Disease Subscribe to the ESP Report RSS feed Principal...
Management Briefs eBrief-no46 - Treatment of Anemia in Patients with Heart Disease
...for anemia among patients with heart disease, in particular, chronic heart failure or coronary heart disease (i.e., acute coronary syndrome, post-...
Management Briefs eBrief-no55 - Use of Left Ventricular Assist Devices as Destination Therapy in End-Stage Congestive Heart Failure
...as destination therapy in patients with end-stage heart disease is approximately $200,000 per quality-adjusted life year. The strength of the...
...including depression, circulation problems, arthritis, heart disease, prostate disease, and incontinence. VA benefits greatly from home-based,...
...of VA hospice programs. Final Report. February, 1998. Report Number MRR 97-004. MRR 97-004 Chronic Diseases Heart Disease Study highlights need...
» View more Publications
There are currently no videos for this topic.
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.
- The VA and DoD agree on a common set of practice guidelines for a specific group of health conditions, including hypertension, which is often a risk factor for heart disease. Learn more about those guidelines here.
- Visit the VA's Office of Research & Development healthcare topic overview section to learn more about milestones in VA heart disease research, read research updates, and download research fact sheets.
- Visit the Center of Innovation for Complex Chronic Healthcare and learn more about their research into aspects of heart disease.