Chronic Diseases/Conditions: Heart Disease
Chronic diseases and conditions (i.e., cancer, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, and stroke) are prolonged conditions that often do not improve and can have a profound effect on a person's quality of life. Important issues being studied include how to improve chronic disease management, including patient self-management, as well as strategies to improve chronic disease prevention.
Search results were generated based on the search term "Heart Disease". Results are updated weekly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 206 HEART DISEASE focused publications)
- Groeneveld PW, Medvedeva EL, Walker L, Segal AG, Richardson DM, Epstein AJ. Outcomes of Care for Ischemic Heart Disease and Chronic Heart Failure in the Veterans Health Administration. JAMA cardiology. 2018 Jul 1; 3(7):563-571.
- Briasoulis A, Inampudi C, Akintoye E, Alvarez P, Panaich S, Vaughan-Sarrazin M. Safety and Efficacy of Novel Oral Anticoagulants Versus Warfarin in Medicare Beneficiaries With Atrial Fibrillation and Valvular Heart Disease. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2018 Apr 5; 7(8).
- Benjamin EJ, Virani SS, Callaway CW, Chamberlain AM, Chang AR, Cheng S, Chiuve SE, Cushman M, Delling FN, Deo R, de Ferranti SD, Ferguson JF, Fornage M, Gillespie C, Isasi CR, Jiménez MC, Jordan LC, Judd SE, Lackland D, Lichtman JH, Lisabeth L, Liu S, Longenecker CT, Lutsey PL, Mackey JS, Matchar DB, Matsushita K, Mussolino ME, Nasir K, O'Flaherty M, Palaniappan LP, Pandey A, Pandey DK, Reeves MJ, Ritchey MD, Rodriguez CJ, Roth GA, Rosamond WD, Sampson UKA, Satou GM, Shah SH, Spartano NL, Tirschwell DL, Tsao CW, Voeks JH, Willey JZ, Wilkins JT, Wu JH, Alger HM, Wong SS, Muntner P, American Heart Association Council on Epidemiology and Prevention Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics-2018 Update: A Report From the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2018 Mar 20; 137(12):e67-e492.
- Ahmed ST, Rehman H, Akeroyd JM, Alam M, Shah T, Kalra A, Virani SS. Premature Coronary Heart Disease in South Asians: Burden and Determinants. Current Atherosclerosis Reports. 2018 Jan 27; 20(1):6.
- Levy AE, Huang C, Huang A, Michael Ho P. Recent Approaches to Improve Medication Adherence in Patients with Coronary Heart Disease: Progress Towards a Learning Healthcare System. Current Atherosclerosis Reports. 2018 Jan 24; 20(1):5.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 76 HEART DISEASE focused publication briefs)
- Echocardiography Testing Can Be Redesigned to Answer Focused Diagnostic Questions While Reducing Costs
In 2006, the VA Palo Alto Health Care System (PAVA) added an alternative to the standard transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE; cost= $240) that evaluated only the left ventricle (LV-TTE; cost = $60). Evaluation of left ventricular ejection fraction is one of the most common indications for a TTE. Investigators in this study evaluated the use of this new option and its association with the overall use...
Date: July 23, 2018
- Substantial Variation in Cardiovascular Mortality Rates across the VA Healthcare System
This study sought to determine whether there are substantial differences in cardiovascular outcomes across 138 VA medical centers. Findings showed that there is substantial variation in risk-standardized cardiovascular mortality rates across the VA healthcare system, suggesting differences in the quality of cardiovascular healthcare. Ischemic heart disease (IHD) annual death rates at the VAMC with...
Date: July 1, 2018
- Telephone Intervention Improves Cardiovascular Risk Factors
This study assessed the effectiveness of a health risk assessment (HRA) coupled with a brief health coaching intervention to encourage Veterans to enroll and participate in a cardiovascular risk factor prevention program chosen based on their needs and preferences. Findings showed that brief telephone health coaching increased patient activation and increased enrollment in structured prevention pr...
Date: May 7, 2018
- Veterans with Heart Disease More Likely to Participate in Cardiac Rehabilitation (CR) When Home-Based CR Program is Available
This study examined whether the implementation of new home-based cardiac rehabilitation (HBCR) programs is associated with improved cardiac rehabilitation (CR) participation among Veterans. Findings showed that Veterans hospitalized with ischemic heart disease were more likely to participate in CR when a home-based program was available. Implementation of HBCR increased participation from 6% to 25...
Date: January 22, 2018
- Study Compares VA Care to Community Care for Veterans Receiving Elective Coronary Revascularization
This observational study compared access, quality, and cost of elective coronary revascularization procedures between VA and community care (CC) hospitals. Findings showed that compared to CC hospitals, Veterans who underwent PCI in VA hospitals had lower mortality (1.5% vs. 0.65%), lower costs ($22,025 vs. $15,683), and similar readmission rates. Compared to CC hospitals, Veterans who underwent C...
Date: January 3, 2018
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 11 HEART DISEASE focused projects
|| Mobile Health Strategies for Veterans with Coronary Heart Disease
|| Costs and Outcomes of Chronic Heart Disease Care in the VHA
|| Effects of Patient's Models of Heart Disease on Preventative Behaviors
|| Ethnic Differences - Management of Patients with Ischemic Heart Disease
|| Implementation of Ischemic Heart Disease Clinical Practice Guidelines
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Heart Disease" publications displayed.
Treatment of Anemia in Patients with Heart Disease
...Treatment of Anemia in Patients with Heart Disease Treatment of Anemia in Patients with Heart Disease Subscribe to the ESP Report RSS feed Principal...
Management Briefs eBrief-no46 - Treatment of Anemia in Patients with Heart Disease
...for anemia among patients with heart disease, in particular, chronic heart failure or coronary heart disease (i.e., acute coronary syndrome, post-...
Management Briefs eBrief-no55 - Use of Left Ventricular Assist Devices as Destination Therapy in End-Stage Congestive Heart Failure
...as destination therapy in patients with end-stage heart disease is approximately $200,000 per quality-adjusted life year. The strength of the...
...including depression, circulation problems, arthritis, heart disease, prostate disease, and incontinence. VA benefits greatly from home-based,...
...of VA hospice programs. Final Report. February, 1998. Report Number MRR 97-004. MRR 97-004 Chronic Diseases Heart Disease Study highlights need...
» View more Publications
There are currently no videos for this topic.
There are currently no podcasts for this topic.
- The VA and DoD agree on a common set of practice guidelines for a specific group of health conditions, including hypertension, which is often a risk factor for heart disease. Learn more about those guidelines here.
- Access the Veterans Health Library to find out more information about diabetes or other health conditions.
- Visit the VA's Office of Research & Development healthcare topic overview section to learn more about milestones in VA cardiovascular disease research, read research updates, and download research fact sheets.
- The VA and DoD agree on a common set of practice guidelines for a specific group of health conditions, including hypertension, which is a risk factor for stroke. Learn more about those guidelines here.
- Access the Veterans Health Library to find out more information about stroke or other health conditions.
- Visit the HSR&D Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care and learn more about their research into supporting Veterans' rehabilitation after stroke.