We completed VA IIR funding for a study about disparities in VA dental care and a manuscript was published with the study results. Our work to understand the external determinants of demand for VA care is ongoing, with one manuscript nearing completion and another in preparation. We completed one set of funding and received new funding for university based activities from the NIH to examine the effects of Massachusetts health reform ( NIH R01 to extend that work to examine the effects of insurance instability on chronic illness). This year, I mentored numerous junior faculty, helping them create strong manuscripts which were published in high quality publications, and assisted with several local applications for HSR&D CDA funding (Gemmae Fix, PhD was funded). I continued mentoring an HSR&D postdoctoral fellow until she won a university faculty position, mid-year. I contributed assistance to and leadership for numerous administrative activities at both the VA and the university. As one of the senior faculty women in the COIN, I provide substantial informal mentoring to other faculty, consulting with them about organizational challenges and career development.
To obtain significant research funding, produce high quality publications, and mentor junior faculty and trainees, while contributing to the development of research, and administration of my local VA and university environments, and to national VA efforts, as well.
Garner research funding, produce high quality research and publications, train junior faculty.
Our VA IIR is not yet in the field, so we do not have findings from it.
Significant impacts include the development and implementation of new research projects, training of junior investigators, and contribution to the HSR&D community, both locally and nationally.
- Buitron de la Vega P, Losi S, Sprague Martinez L, Bovell-Ammon A, Garg A, James T, Ewen AM, Stack M, DeCarvalho H, Sandel M, Mishuris RG, Deych S, Pelletier P, Kressin NR. Implementing an EHR-based Screening and Referral System to Address Social Determinants of Health in Primary Care. Medical care. 2019 Jun 1; 57 Suppl 6 Suppl 2:S133-S139.
- Boehmer U, Glickman M, Jones JA, Orner MB, Wheler C, Berlowitz DR, Kressin NR. Dental Care in an Equal Access System Valuing Equity: Are There Racial Disparities? Medical care. 2016 Nov 1; 54(11):998-1004.
- Haley WE, Gilbert ON, Riley RF, Newman JC, Roumie CL, Whittle J, Kronish IM, Tamariz L, Wiggers A, Morisky DE, Conroy MB, Kovalik E, Kressin NR, Muntner P, Goff DC, SPRINT Study Research Group. The association between Self-Reported Medication Adherence scores and systolic blood pressure control: a SPRINT baseline data study. Journal of the American Society of Hypertension : JASH. 2016 Nov 1; 10(11):857-864.e2.
- Lasser KE, Hanchate AD, McCormick D, Chu C, Xuan Z, Kressin NR. Massachusetts Health Reform's Effect on Hospitals' Racial Mix of Patients and on Patients' Use of Safety-net Hospitals. Medical care. 2016 Sep 1; 54(9):827-36.
- Kressin NR, Chapman SE, Magnani JW. A Tale of Two Patients: Patient-Centered Approaches to Adherence as a Gateway to Reducing Disparities. Circulation. 2016 Jun 14; 133(24):2583-92.
- Kressin NR, Gunn CM, Battaglia TA. Content, Readability, and Understandability of Dense Breast Notifications by State. JAMA. 2016 Apr 26; 315(16):1786-8.
- Kressin NR, Lin MY. Race/ethnicity, and Americans' perceptions and experiences of over- and under-use of care: a cross-sectional study. BMC health services research. 2015 Oct 1; 15:443.
- Morgan DJ, Brownlee S, Leppin AL, Kressin N, Dhruva SS, Levin L, Landon BE, Zezza MA, Schmidt H, Saini V, Elshaug AG. Setting a research agenda for medical overuse. BMJ (Clinical research ed.). 2015 Aug 25; 351:h4534.
- Bokhour BG, Kressin NR. What Is in a Name? How Biomedical Language May Derail Patient Understanding of Hypertension. Circulation. Cardiovascular quality and outcomes. 2015 Jul 1; 8(4):452-4.
- Rao SR, Reisman JI, Kressin NR, Berlowitz DR, Ash AS, Ozonoff A, Miller DR, Hylek EM, Zhao S, Rose AJ. Explaining racial disparities in anticoagulation control: results from a study of patients at the Veterans Administration. American journal of medical quality : the official journal of the American College of Medical Quality. 2015 May 1; 30(3):214-22.
- Manze MG, Orner MB, Glickman M, Pbert L, Berlowitz D, Kressin NR. Brief provider communication skills training fails to impact patient hypertension outcomes. Patient education and counseling. 2015 Feb 1; 98(2):191-8.
- Suglia SF, Clark CJ, Boynton-Jarrett R, Kressin NR, Koenen KC. Child maltreatment and hypertension in young adulthood. BMC public health. 2014 Nov 6; 14:1149.
- Lasser KE, Hanchate AD, McCormick D, Manze MG, Chu C, Kressin NR. The effect of Massachusetts health reform on 30 day hospital readmissions: retrospective analysis of hospital episode statistics. BMJ (Clinical research ed.). 2014 Mar 31; 348:g2329.
- D'Amore MM, Cheng DM, Kressin NR, Jones J, Samet JH, Winter M, Kim TW, Saitz R. Oral health of substance-dependent individuals: impact of specific substances. Journal of substance abuse treatment. 2011 Sep 1; 41(2):179-85.
- Johansson I, Holgerson PL, Kressin NR, Nunn ME, Tanner AC. Snacking habits and caries in young children. Caries Research. 2011 Jul 19; 44(5):421-30.
- Nunn ME, Dietrich T, Singh HK, Henshaw MM, Kressin NR. Prevalence of early childhood caries among very young urban Boston children compared with US children. Journal of public health dentistry. 2011 Jun 17; 69(3):156-62.
- Rose AJ, Glickman ME, D'Amore MM, Orner MB, Berlowitz D, Kressin NR. Effects of daily adherence to antihypertensive medication on blood pressure control. Journal of clinical hypertension (Greenwich, Conn.). 2011 Jun 1; 13(6):416-21.
- Russell SL, Katz RV, Wang MQ, Lee R, Green BL, Kressin NR, Claudio C. Belief in AIDS origin conspiracy theory and willingness to participate in biomedical research studies: findings in whites, blacks, and Hispanics in seven cities across two surveys. HIV Clinical Trials. 2011 Jan 1; 12(1):37-47.
- Ayotte BJ, Kressin NR. Race differences in cardiac catheterization: the role of social contextual variables. Journal of general internal medicine. 2010 Aug 1; 25(8):814-8.
- Manze M, Rose AJ, Orner MB, Berlowitz DR, Kressin NR. Understanding racial disparities in treatment intensification for hypertension management. Journal of general internal medicine. 2010 Aug 1; 25(8):819-25.
- Kanasi E, Johansson I, Lu SC, Kressin NR, Nunn ME, Kent R, Tanner AC. Microbial risk markers for childhood caries in pediatricians' offices. Journal of dental research. 2010 Apr 1; 89(4):378-83.
- Kressin NR, Manze M, Russell SL, Katz RV, Claudio C, Green BL, Wang MQ. Self-reported willingness to have cancer screening and the effects of sociodemographic factors. Journal of the National Medical Association. 2010 Mar 1; 102(3):219-27.
- Kressin NR, Orner MB, Manze M, Glickman ME, Berlowitz D. Understanding contributors to racial disparities in blood pressure control. Circulation. Cardiovascular quality and outcomes. 2010 Mar 1; 3(2):173-80.
- Hausmann LR, Kressin NR, Hanusa BH, Ibrahim SA. Perceived racial discrimination in health care and its association with patients' healthcare experiences: does the measure matter? Ethnicity & disease. 2010 Jan 1; 20(1):40-7.
- Katz RV, Jean-Charles G, Green BL, Kressin NR, Claudio C, Wang M, Russell SL, Outlaw J. Identifying the Tuskegee Syphilis Study: implications of results from recall and recognition questions. BMC public health. 2009 Dec 16; 9:468.
- Wright WG, Jones JA, Spiro A, Rich SE, Kressin NR. Use of patient self-report oral health outcome measures in assessment of dental treatment outcomes. Journal of public health dentistry. 2009 Nov 11; 69(2):95-103.
- Hausmann LR, Jeong K, Bost JE, Kressin NR, Ibrahim SA. Perceived racial discrimination in health care: a comparison of Veterans Affairs and other patients. American journal of public health. 2009 Nov 1; 99 Suppl 3:S718-24.
- Kressin NR, Nunn ME, Singh H, Orner MB, Pbert L, Hayes C, Culler C, Glicken SR, Palfrey S, Geltman PL, Cadoret C, Henshaw MM. Pediatric clinicians can help reduce rates of early childhood caries: effects of a practice based intervention. Medical care. 2009 Nov 1; 47(11):1121-8.
- Rose AJ, Berlowitz DR, Manze M, Orner MB, Kressin NR. Intensifying therapy for hypertension despite suboptimal adherence. Hypertension. 2009 Sep 1; 54(3):524-9.
- Rose AJ, Berlowitz DR, Manze M, Orner MB, Kressin NR. Comparing methods of measuring treatment intensification in hypertension care. Circulation. Cardiovascular quality and outcomes. 2009 Jul 1; 2(4):385-91.
- Hope OA, Zeber JE, Kressin NR, Bokhour BG, Vancott AC, Cramer JA, Amuan ME, Knoefel JE, Pugh MJ. New-onset geriatric epilepsy care: Race, setting of diagnosis, and choice of antiepileptic drug. Epilepsia. 2009 May 1; 50(5):1085-93.
- Katz RV, Green BL, Kressin NR, James SA, Wang MQ, Claudio C, Russell SL. Exploring the "legacy" of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study: a follow-up study from the Tuskegee Legacy Project. Journal of the National Medical Association. 2009 Feb 1; 101(2):179-83.
- Russell SL, Katz RV, Kressin NR, Green BL, Wang MQ, Claudio C, Tzvetkova K. Beliefs of women's risk as research subjects: a four-city study examining differences by sex and by race/ethnicity. Journal of women's health (2002). 2009 Feb 1; 18(2):235-43.
- Katz RV, Green BL, Kressin NR, Kegeles SS, Wang MQ, James SA, Russell SL, Claudio C, McCallum JM. The legacy of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study: assessing its impact on willingness to participate in biomedical studies. Journal of health care for the poor and underserved. 2008 Nov 1; 19(4):1168-80.
- Katz RV, Claudio C, Kressin NR, Green BL, Wang MQ, Russell SL. Willingness to participate in cancer screenings: blacks vs whites vs Puerto Rican Hispanics. Cancer Control : Journal of The Moffitt Cancer Center. 2008 Oct 1; 15(4):334-43.
- Katz RV, Wang MQ, Green BL, Kressin NR, Claudio C, Russell SL, Sommervil C. Participation in biomedical research studies and cancer screenings: perceptions of risks to minorities compared with whites. Cancer Control : Journal of The Moffitt Cancer Center. 2008 Oct 1; 15(4):344-51.
- Kressin NR, Raymond KL, Manze M. Perceptions of race/ethnicity-based discrimination: a review of measures and evaluation of their usefulness for the health care setting. Journal of health care for the poor and underserved. 2008 Aug 1; 19(3):697-730.
- Katz RV, Kegeles SS, Kressin NR, Green BL, James SA, Wang MQ, Russell SL, Claudio C. Awareness of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study and the US presidential apology and their influence on minority participation in biomedical research. American journal of public health. 2008 Jun 1; 98(6):1137-42.
- Kressin NR, Jones JA, Orner MB, Spiro A. A new brief measure of oral quality of life. Preventing chronic disease. 2008 Apr 1; 5(2):A43.
- Rose AJ, Shimada SL, Rothendler JA, Reisman JI, Glassman PA, Berlowitz DR, Kressin NR. The accuracy of clinician perceptions of "usual" blood pressure control. Journal of general internal medicine. 2008 Feb 1; 23(2):180-3.
- Chonchol M, Whittle J, Desbien A, Orner MB, Petersen LA, Kressin NR. Chronic kidney disease is associated with angiographic coronary artery disease. American Journal of Nephrology. 2008 Jan 1; 28(2):354-60.
- Rose AJ, Berlowitz DR, Orner MB, Kressin NR. Understanding uncontrolled hypertension: is it the patient or the provider? Journal of clinical hypertension (Greenwich, Conn.). 2007 Dec 1; 9(12):937-43.
- Jones JA, Orner MB, Spiro A, Kressin NR. Tooth loss and dentures: patients' perspectives. International Dental Journal. 2007 Nov 14; 53(5 Suppl):327-34.
- Rawaf MM, Kressin NR. Exploring racial and sociodemographic trends in physician behavior, physician trust and their association with blood pressure control. Journal of the National Medical Association. 2007 Nov 1; 99(11):1248-54.
- Kressin NR, Saha S, Weaver F, Rubenstein L, Weinberger M. Career and time management strategies for clinical and health services researchers. Journal of general internal medicine. 2007 Oct 1; 22(10):1475-8.
- Katz RV, Green BL, Kressin NR, Claudio C, Wang MQ, Russell SL. Willingness of minorities to participate in biomedical studies: confirmatory findings from a follow-up study using the Tuskegee Legacy Project Questionnaire. Journal of the National Medical Association. 2007 Sep 1; 99(9):1052-60.
- Kressin NR, Wang F, Long J, Bokhour BG, Orner MB, Rothendler JR, Clark C, Reddy S, Kozak W, Kroupa LP, Berlowitz DR. Hypertensive patients' race, health beliefs, process of care, and medication adherence. Journal of general internal medicine. 2007 Jun 1; 22(6):768-74.
- Claudio C, Katz RV, Green BL, Kressin NR, Wang MQ, Russell SL. Cancer screening participation: comparative willingness of San Juan Puerto Ricans versus New York City Puerto Ricans. Journal of the National Medical Association. 2007 May 1; 99(5):542-9.
- Cunha-Cruz J, Hujoel PP, Kressin NR. Oral health-related quality of life of periodontal patients. Journal of Periodontal Research. 2007 Apr 1; 42(2):169-76.
- Kressin NR, Glickman ME, Peterson ED, Whittle J, Orner MB, Petersen LA. Functional status outcomes among white and African-American cardiac patients in an equal access system. American heart journal. 2007 Mar 1; 153(3):418-25.
- Katz RV, Kegeles SS, Kressin NR, Green BL, Wang MQ, James SA, Russell SL, Claudio C. The Tuskegee Legacy Project: willingness of minorities to participate in biomedical research. Journal of health care for the poor and underserved. 2006 Nov 1; 17(4):698-715.
- Hujoel PP, Cunha-Cruz J, Kressin NR. Spurious associations in oral epidemiological research: the case of dental flossing and obesity. Journal of clinical periodontology. 2006 Aug 1; 33(8):520-3.
- Bokhour BG, Berlowitz DR, Long JA, Kressin NR. How do providers assess antihypertensive medication adherence in medical encounters? Journal of general internal medicine. 2006 Jun 1; 21(6):577-83.
- Jones JA, Kressin NR, Kazis LE, Miller DR, Iii AS, Lee A, Garcia RI. Oral conditions and quality of life. The Journal of ambulatory care management. 2006 Apr 1; 29(2):167-81.
- Kressin NR. Separate but not equal: the consequences of segregated health care. Circulation. 2005 Oct 25; 112(17):2582-4.
- Kressin NR. Racial/Ethnic disparities in health care: lessons from medicine for dentistry. Journal of Dental Education. 2005 Sep 1; 69(9):998-1002.
- Kressin NR, Chang BH, Whittle J, Peterson ED, Clark JA, Rosen AK, Orner M, Collins TC, Alley LG, Petersen LA. Racial differences in cardiac catheterization as a function of patients' beliefs. American journal of public health. 2004 Dec 1; 94(12):2091-7.
- Woodard LD, Kressin NR, Petersen LA. Is lipid-lowering therapy underused by African Americans at high risk of coronary heart disease within the VA health care system? American journal of public health. 2004 Dec 1; 94(12):2112-7.
- Ambriz EH, Woodard LD, Kressin NR, Petersen LA. Use of smoking cessation interventions and aspirin for secondary prevention: are there racial disparities? American journal of medical quality : the official journal of the American College of Medical Quality. 2004 Jul 1; 19(4):166-71.
- Jones JA, Kressin NR, Miller DR, Orner MB, Garcia RI, Spiro A. Comparison of patient-based oral health outcome measures. Quality of life research : an international journal of quality of life aspects of treatment, care and rehabilitation. 2004 Jun 1; 13(5):975-85.
- Kressin NR, Boehmer U, Berlowitz D, Christiansen CL, Pitman A, Jones JA. Racial variations in dental procedures: the case of root canal therapy versus tooth extraction. Medical care. 2003 Nov 1; 41(11):1256-61.
- Kressin NR, Chang BH, Hendricks A, Kazis LE. Agreement between administrative data and patients' self-reports of race/ethnicity. American journal of public health. 2003 Oct 1; 93(10):1734-9.
- Jones JA, Boehmer U, Berlowitz DR, Christiansen CL, Pitman A, Kressin NR. Tooth retention as an indicator of quality dental care: development of a risk adjustment model. Medical care. 2003 Aug 1; 41(8):937-49.
- Kressin NR, Boehmer U, Nunn ME, Spiro A. Increased preventive practices lead to greater tooth retention. Journal of dental research. 2003 Mar 1; 82(3):223-7.
- Katz RV, Kegeles SS, Green BL, Kressin NR, James SA, Claudio C. The Tuskegee Legacy Project: history, preliminary scientific findings, and unanticipated societal benefits. Dental clinics of North America. 2003 Jan 1; 47(1):1-19.
- Kressin NR, Spiro A, Atchison KA, Kazis L, Jones JA. Is depressive symptomatology associated with worse oral functioning and well-being among older adults? Journal of public health dentistry. 2002 Dec 1; 62(1):5-12.
- Boehmer U, Kressin NR, Berlowitz DR, Christiansen CL, Kazis LE, Jones JA. Self-reported vs administrative race/ethnicity data and study results. American journal of public health. 2002 Sep 1; 92(9):1471-2.
- Collins TC, Clark JA, Petersen LA, Kressin NR. Racial differences in how patients perceive physician communication regarding cardiac testing. Medical care. 2002 Jan 1; 40(1 Suppl):I27-34.
- Jones JA, Spiro A, Miller DR, Garcia RI, Kressin NR. Need for dental care in older veterans: assessment of patient-based measures. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2002 Jan 1; 50(1):163-8.
- Kressin NR, Clark JA, Whittle J, East M, Peterson ED, Chang BH, Rosen AK, Ren XS, Alley LG, Kroupa L, Collins TC, Petersen LA. Racial differences in health-related beliefs, attitudes, and experiences of VA cardiac patients: scale development and application. Medical care. 2002 Jan 1; 40(1 Suppl):I72-85.
- Oddone EZ, Petersen LA, Weinberger M, Freedman J, Kressin NR. Contribution of the Veterans Health Administration in understanding racial disparities in access and utilization of health care: a spirit of inquiry. Medical care. 2002 Jan 1; 40(1 Suppl):I3-13.
- Kressin NR, Reisine S, Spiro A, Jones JA. Is negative affectivity associated with oral quality of life? Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology. 2001 Dec 1; 29(6):412-23.
- Kressin NR, Petersen LA. Racial differences in the use of invasive cardiovascular procedures: review of the literature and prescription for future research. Annals of internal medicine. 2001 Sep 4; 135(5):352-66.
- Kressin NR, Meterko M, Wilson NJ. Racial disparities in participation in biomedical research. Journal of the National Medical Association. 2000 Feb 1; 92(2):62-9.
- Kressin NR, Atz JM. A piece of my mind. Mind the outcomes. JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association. 2013 Jan 2; 309(1):39-40.
- Shimada SL, Montez-Rath ME, Loveland SA, Zhao S, Kressin NR, Rosen AK. Racial Disparities in Patient Safety Indicator (PSI) Rates in the Veterans Health Administration. 2008.
- Rose AJ, Berlowitz DR, Manze M, Orner MB, Kressin NR. Comparing Methods of Measuring Treatment Intensification in Hypertension Care. Poster session presented at: AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting; 2009 Jun 30; Chicago, IL.
- Bokhour BG, Solomon J, Cohn ES, Cortes DE, Elwy AR, Haidet P, Katz L, Borzecki AM, Green A, Kressin NR. Patient perspectives on managing hypertension: Developing a new conceptual model of patient behavior. Poster session presented at: Society of General Internal Medicine Annual Meeting; 2009 May 20; Miami, FL.
- Kressin N, Chang B, Orner M, Clark J, Rosen A, Ren X, East M, Kroupa L, Alley L, Whittle J, Petersen L. Racial Differences in Physician Perceptions of and Communication with Cardiac Patients. Paper presented at: VA HSR&D National Meeting; 2002 Mar 1; Washington, DC.
- Kressin N, Chang B, Orner M, Clark J, Rosen A, Ren X, Petersen E, East M, Kroupa L, Alley L, Whittle J, Petersen L. Racial difference in physician perceptions of and communication with cardiac patients. Paper presented at: VA HSR&D National Meeting; 2002 Feb 14; Washington, DC.
- Kressin N, Chang B, Peterson E, Whittle J, Orner M, Clark J, Rosen A, Ren X, East M, Kroupa L, Alley L, Petersen L. Racial differences in cardiac catherization are not a function of patient beliefs, but may be related to provider attitudes about patients. Paper presented at: AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting; 2002 Jan 15; Washington, DC.
- Katz R, Kegeles S, Kressin N, Green BL, Hoenig H. The Tuskegee Legacy Project: Comparative Willingness of African American vs. Whites to Participate in Biomedical Research. Paper presented at: American Association for Dental Research Annual Meeting; 2001 Jan 5; Washington, DC.
Career Development, Disparities