eHealth and telehealth leverage computer and telephone-based technologies—in concert with health informatics, specialty care, and case managements—to improve Veterans' care delivery, quality, and access. Telehealth and eHealth can also help improve the quality of Veterans' care when used by providers, such as when primary care providers use real-time video to seek advice from specialists on diagnoses or procedures. eHealth and telehealth technology can also provide Veterans and their caregivers with a greater degree of involvement in the their treatment through the use of web-based personal medical records like MyHealtheVet.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "ehealth". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 318 EHEALTH focused publications)
- Leung LB, Rubenstein LV, Jaske E, Wheat CL, Nelson KM, Felker BL. Contrasting Care Delivery Modalities Used by Primary Care and Mental Health Specialties in VA's Telehealth Contingency Staffing Program During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of general internal medicine. 2022 Apr 19.
- Belsher BE, Beech EH, McGuire AB, Shue S, Wasmuth S, Young S, Gorman AS, Baird SA, Damush TM, Parr NJ. Evidence Compendium: Emergency Planning and Risk Management for Telehealth-delivered Mental Health Care. Evidence Synthesis Program. Washington DC: Health Services Research and Development Service, Office of Research and Development, Department of Veterans Affairs; 2022 Apr 1. 1-55 p. Report No.: VA ESP #09-199.
- Scheuner MT, Huynh AK, Chanfreau-Coffinier C, Lerner B, Gable AR, Lee M, Simon A, Coeshott R, Hamilton AB, Patterson OV, DuVall S, Russell MM. Demographic Differences Among US Department of Veterans Affairs Patients Referred for Genetic Consultation to a Centralized VA Telehealth Program, VA Medical Centers, or the Community. JAMA Network Open. 2022 Apr 1; 5(4):e226687.
- Chen JA, DeFaccio RJ, Gelman H, Thomas ER, Indresano JA, Dawson TC, Glynn LH, Sandbrink F, Zeliadt SB. Telehealth and Rural-Urban Differences in Receipt of Pain Care in the Veterans Health Administration. Pain medicine (Malden, Mass.). 2022 Mar 2; 23(3):466-474.
- Samuels-Kalow ME, Chary AN, Ciccolo G, Apro A, Danaher F, Lambert R, Camargo CA, Zachrison KS. Barriers and facilitators to pediatric telehealth use in English- and Spanish-speaking families: A qualitative study. Journal of telemedicine and telecare. 2022 Jan 24; 1357633X211070725.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 12 EHEALTH focused publication briefs)
- Genetic Consultation Provided by VA Facilities or Centralized VA Virtual Care More Timely and Better Coordinated than Community Care Options
This study assessed care coordination and equity in the delivery of genetic care for the care models available to VA patients (i.e., VA-traditional, centralized VA-telehealth, and non-VA care). Findings showed that VA genetic care models – both traditional and centralized telehealth – had better care coordination than non-VA care. Veterans referred to non-VA care completed their consult only 57% o...
Date: April 11, 2022
- Receipt of Video Tablets among Rural Veterans Associated with Increased Use of Mental Health Care and Less Suicidal Behavior
This study sought to evaluate the association between the escalated distribution of VA’s video-enabled tablets during the COVID-19 pandemic and rural Veterans’ mental health service use and suicide-related outcomes. Findings showed that receipt of a video tablet was associated with the increased use of mental healthcare via video and increased psychotherapy visits across all modalities. Tablets al...
Date: April 6, 2022
- Primary Care Intensive Management for High-Risk VA Patients Did Not Improve Long-term (12-24 Month) Outcomes or Costs
This randomized trial tested whether primary care intensive management (PIM) teams could decrease acute care use, such as emergency department visits and hospitalizations, among high-risk Veterans during the second year of PIM implementation. Findings showed that offering an intensive case management program in addition to routine primary care services for high-risk patients increased outpatient u...
Date: June 18, 2021
- VA/HSR&D Research on Complementary and Integrative Health Therapies within VA
Funded by HSR&D, this special issue of Medical Care highlights how research on complementary and integrative health (CIH) therapies in the VA healthcare system has progressed along the QUERI (Quality Enhancement Research Initiative) Implementation Roadmap – from pre-implementation to implementation to sustainment. CIH approaches are becoming more available throughout VA, due to: 1) increased imple...
Date: September 1, 2020
- Veterans Participating in a VA National Telehealth Tablet Initiative Save Both Time and Money
In 2016, VA initiated a program to distribute video-enabled tablets to Veterans with geographic, clinical, and/or social access barriers to in-person care so that they could receive services in their homes or other convenient locations. As part of a national evaluation of this initiative, a patient experience survey was conducted with a subset of tablet recipients. Investigators in this study soug...
Date: December 26, 2019
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 130 EHEALTH focused projects
|| Telehealth CBT to increase engagement in pain treatment among Veterans using prescription opioids
|| Testing a Novel Dry Electrode Headset for Electroencephalography Telehealth
|| Impact of Combined Recovery Program and Home Telehealth Among Veterans with substance use disorders in the VA Inpatient Setting
||Santa Ana, Elizabeth
|| Telehealth Treatment of Veterans with Alcohol Misuse at Risk for Cardiovascular Disease
|| Telehealth to Improve Functional Status and Quality of Life in Veterans with PAD
» View more Studies
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "ehealth" seminars are displayed.
Innovative Applications of Video Telehealth in Veteran Healthcare: Two Projects
|| Zeidler, Michelle
Virtual Care Early-Career Investigator Series
|| Lin, Lewei (Allison)
Providing Complementary and Integrative Health Services via Telehealth: Lessons Learned from Whole Health Providers in VA
|| Wu, Juliet
Virtual Care in Context During COVID-19: VA Telehealth in Primary Care, Community Care Urgent Care, and State Veterans’ Nursing Homes
|| Haverhals, Leah
Implementation of Clinical Resource Hubs to Expand Access to Primary Care and Mental Health Services: First Year Implementation Progress, Challenges, and Facilitators
|| Bergman, Alicia
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
- Learn more about how VA's Quality Enhancement Research Initiative Partnered Evaluation program is working with the VA Office of Telehealth Services to evaluate eHealth technologies across the VA healthcare system.
- Visit the VA's Office of Telehealth Service's website to learn more about how technology is being used to improve care for Veterans.
- Learn more about how VA's Quality Enhancement Research Initiative Virtual Specialty Care Program is working to deliver and evaluate technology facilitated specialty care to rural-dwelling Veterans.