eHealth and telehealth leverage computer and telephone-based technologies—in concert with health informatics, specialty care, and case managements—to improve Veterans' care delivery, quality, and access. Telehealth and eHealth can also help improve the quality of Veterans' care when used by providers, such as when primary care providers use real-time video to seek advice from specialists on diagnoses or procedures. eHealth and telehealth technology can also provide Veterans and their caregivers with a greater degree of involvement in the their treatment through the use of web-based personal medical records like MyHealtheVet.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "ehealth". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 285 EHEALTH focused publications)
- Vakkalanka JP, Lund BC, Ward MM, Arndt S, Field RW, Charlton M, Carnahan RM. Telehealth Utilization Is Associated with Lower Risk of Discontinuation of Buprenorphine: a Retrospective Cohort Study of US Veterans. Journal of general internal medicine. 2021 Jun 22.
- Chen JA, DeFaccio RJ, Gelman H, Thomas ER, Indresano JA, Dawson TC, Glynn LH, Sandbrink F, Zeliadt SB. Telehealth and rural-urban differences in receipt of pain care in the Veterans Health Administration. Pain medicine (Malden, Mass.). 2021 Jun 18.
- Keyhani S, Kelly JD, Bent S, Boscardin WJ, Shlipak MG, Leonard S, Abraham A, Lum E, Lau N, Austin C, Oldenburg CE, Zillich A, Lopez L, Zhang Y, Lietman T, Bravata DM. A telehealth-based randomized controlled trial: A model for outpatient trials of off-label medications during the COVID-19 pandemic. Clinical trials (London, England). 2021 Aug 1; 18(4):514-517.
- Rotondi AJ, Grady J, Hanusa BH, Haas GL, Spring MR, Abebe KZ, Luther J, Gurklis J. Key Variables for Effective eHealth Designs for Individuals With and Without Mental Health Disorders: 2^12-4 Fractional Factorial Experiment. Journal of medical Internet research. 2021 Mar 24; 23(3):e23137.
- Donovan LM, Mog AC, Blanchard KN, Magid KH, Syed AS, Kelley LR, Palen BN, Parsons EC, McCall CC, Thompson W, Charlton M, Spece LJ, Kirsh S, Au DH, Sayre GG. Patient experiences with telehealth in sleep medicine: a qualitative evaluation. Journal of clinical sleep medicine : JCSM : official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. 2021 Mar 23.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 10 EHEALTH focused publication briefs)
- Primary Care Intensive Management for High-Risk VA Patients Did Not Improve Long-term (12-24 Month) Outcomes or Costs
This randomized trial tested whether primary care intensive management (PIM) teams could decrease acute care use, such as emergency department visits and hospitalizations, among high-risk Veterans during the second year of PIM implementation. Findings showed that offering an intensive case management program in addition to routine primary care services for high-risk patients increased outpatient u...
Date: June 18, 2021
- VA/HSR&D Research on Complementary and Integrative Health Therapies within VA
Funded by HSR&D, this special issue of Medical Care highlights how research on complementary and integrative health (CIH) therapies in the VA healthcare system has progressed along the QUERI (Quality Enhancement Research Initiative) Implementation Roadmap – from pre-implementation to implementation to sustainment. CIH approaches are becoming more available throughout VA, due to: 1) increased imple...
Date: September 1, 2020
- Veterans Participating in a VA National Telehealth Tablet Initiative Save Both Time and Money
In 2016, VA initiated a program to distribute video-enabled tablets to Veterans with geographic, clinical, and/or social access barriers to in-person care so that they could receive services in their homes or other convenient locations. As part of a national evaluation of this initiative, a patient experience survey was conducted with a subset of tablet recipients. Investigators in this study soug...
Date: December 26, 2019
- Video Telehealth Tablet Initiative Improves Access to and Continuity of Mental Healthcare for Veterans
In 2016, VA initiated a program to distribute video-enabled tablets to Veterans with geographic, clinical, or social access barriers to in-person care so that they could receive services in their homes or other convenient locations: 75% of tablet recipients had a mental health diagnosis, providing a unique opportunity to assess the effectiveness of this national dissemination of tablets. Findings ...
Date: August 5, 2019
- Veterans Eligible for VA Purchased Healthcare Based on Distance from VA Facilities Face Shortage of Non-VA Providers
This study examined the potential impacts of reforms to improve access to care for Veterans living in rural areas on these Veterans and healthcare providers. Findings showed that initiatives to purchase care for Veterans living more than 40 miles from VA facilities may not significantly improve their access to care, as these areas are underserved by non-VA providers. For example, about 16% of thes...
Date: May 29, 2018
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 125 EHEALTH focused projects
|| Telehealth Treatment of Veterans with Alcohol Misuse at Risk for Cardiovascular Disease
|| Telehealth to Improve Functional Status and Quality of Life in Veterans with PAD
|| Telehealth for Acute Care in VA
|| Effectiveness of telehealth to adequately manage ACSC such as admission for congestive heart failure (CHF)
|| Use of VA Telehealth Services at VAGLAHS during the COVID-19 Pandemic
» View more Studies
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "ehealth" seminars are displayed.
Disparities in Telehealth Use During COVID-19 Described Three Ways
|| O'Shea, Amy
New Directions in Safety Planning and Lethal Means Safety for at-risk Suicidal Veterans
|| Goodman, Marianne
Completing Partnered Research with the Office of Connected Care
|| Armstrong, Christina
Access and Virtual Care COREs: Complementary Initiatives to Speed the Research Cycle
|| Wray, Charlie
Preventing Fracture(d Care): Lessons Learned from the Implementation of a Bone Health Care Teleheath PACT
|| Solimeo, Samantha
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
- Learn more about how VA's Quality Enhancement Research Initiative Partnered Evaluation program is working with the VA Office of Telehealth Services to evaluate eHealth technologies across the VA healthcare system.
- Visit the VA's Office of Telehealth Service's website to learn more about how technology is being used to improve care for Veterans.
- Learn more about how VA's Quality Enhancement Research Initiative Virtual Specialty Care Program is working to deliver and evaluate technology facilitated specialty care to rural-dwelling Veterans.