eHealth and telehealth leverage computer and telephone-based technologies—in concert with health informatics, specialty care, and case managements—to improve Veterans' care delivery, quality, and access. Telehealth and eHealth can also help improve the quality of Veterans' care when used by providers, such as when primary care providers use real-time video to seek advice from specialists on diagnoses or procedures. eHealth and telehealth technology can also provide Veterans and their caregivers with a greater degree of involvement in the their treatment through the use of web-based personal medical records like MyHealtheVet.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "ehealth". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 351 EHEALTH focused publications)
- Yarns BC, Molaie AM, Lumley MA, Zhu TA, Jazi AN, Ganz DA, Melrose RJ. Video telehealth emotional awareness and expression therapy for older U.S. military veterans with chronic pain: A pilot study. Clinical Gerontologist. 2022 Dec 21; 1-13.
- Gordon HS, Paugach O, Solanki P, Gopal RK. A brief pre-visit educational video improved patient engagement after telehealth visits; results from a randomized controlled trial. PEC innovation. 2022 Dec 1; 1(2022):100080.
- Vimalananda VG, Brito JP, Eiland LA, Lal RA, Maraka S, McDonnell ME, Narla RR, Roth MY, Crossen SS. Appropriate Use of Telehealth Visits in Endocrinology: Policy Perspective of the Endocrine Society. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2022 Nov 23; 107(11):2953-2962.
- Shah VV, Villaflores CW, Chuong LH, Leuchter RK, Kilaru AS, Vangala S, Sarkisian CA. Association Between In-Person vs Telehealth Follow-up and Rates of Repeated Hospital Visits Among Patients Seen in the Emergency Department. JAMA Network Open. 2022 Oct 3; 5(10):e2237783.
- Cordasco KM, Yuan AH, Rollman JE, Moreau JL, Edwards LK, Gable AR, Hsiao JJ, Ganz DA, Vashi AA, Mehta PA, Jackson NJ. Veterans' Use of Telehealth for Veterans Health Administration Community Care Urgent Care During the Early COVID-19 Pandemic. Medical care. 2022 Nov 1; 60(11):860-867.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 15 EHEALTH focused publication briefs)
- Black Veterans with Chronic Pain Express Dissatisfaction with VA Telehealth Options during Pandemic
This study sought to understand how Black Veterans with chronic pain experienced pandemic-related changes in VA healthcare delivery. Investigators conducted qualitative interviews with Black Veterans who had completed a randomized controlled trial of an intervention focused on communication and patient activation for Black patients with chronic pain. Findings showed that Veterans described mostly ...
Date: November 14, 2022
- VA Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder was Maintained During the COVID Pandemic Through Rapid Shift to Telehealth
At the beginning of the COVID pandemic, key federal policy changes were implemented to decrease barriers to telehealth-delivery of buprenorphine, a life-saving medication treatment for patients with opioid use disorder (OUD). This study examined the impact of these COVID-19 policies on buprenorphine treatment across different modalities (telephone, video, and in-person visits). Findings showed tha...
Date: July 28, 2022
- Characteristics of the Rise in Telehealth During COVID Pandemic
This study sought to examine patient, provider, and site-level characteristics of any virtual and video-based care in primary care (PC). Findings showed that before the onset of COVID-19, only 14% of PC patients used any telehealth services, and only 0.3% used video-based care. However, during the first 12 months of COVID-19, 63% of patients used telehealth services, and 11% used video-based care....
Date: June 18, 2022
- Genetic Consultation Provided by VA Facilities or Centralized VA Virtual Care More Timely and Better Coordinated than Community Care Options
This study assessed care coordination and equity in the delivery of genetic care for the care models available to VA patients (i.e., VA-traditional, centralized VA-telehealth, and non-VA care). Findings showed that VA genetic care models – both traditional and centralized telehealth – had better care coordination than non-VA care. Veterans referred to non-VA care completed their consult only 57% o...
Date: April 11, 2022
- Receipt of Video Tablets among Rural Veterans Associated with Increased Use of Mental Health Care and Less Suicidal Behavior
This study sought to evaluate the association between the escalated distribution of VA’s video-enabled tablets during the COVID-19 pandemic and rural Veterans’ mental health service use and suicide-related outcomes. Findings showed that receipt of a video tablet was associated with the increased use of mental healthcare via video and increased psychotherapy visits across all modalities. Tablets al...
Date: April 6, 2022
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 130 EHEALTH focused projects
|| Telehealth-delivered peer support to improve quality of life among Veterans with multimorbidity
||Gray , Kristen
|| Telehealth CBT to increase engagement in pain treatment among Veterans using prescription opioids
|| Addressing loneliness and substance use with telehealth CBT
|| Testing a Novel Dry Electrode Headset for Electroencephalography Telehealth
|| Impact of Combined Recovery Program and Home Telehealth Among Veterans with substance use disorders in the VA Inpatient Setting
||Santa Ana, Elizabeth
» View more Studies
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "ehealth" seminars are displayed.
HSR&D National Meeting Paper Session: Virtual Care/Telehealth
Implementation and Adoption of VA's National Contingency Staffing Program: Results from the Clinical Resource Hub Evaluation
|| Bergman, Alicia
Telehealth Delivery of Multimodal Complementary Integrated Health (CIH) Intervention for Suicide Prevention
|| Haghighi, Fatemeh
Innovative Applications of Video Telehealth in Veteran Healthcare: Two Projects
|| Zeidler, Michelle
Virtual Care Early-Career Investigator Series
|| Wray, Charlie
Lin, Lewei (Allison)
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.
- Learn more about how VA's Quality Enhancement Research Initiative Partnered Evaluation program is working with the VA Office of Telehealth Services to evaluate eHealth technologies across the VA healthcare system.
- Visit the VA's Office of Telehealth Service's website to learn more about how technology is being used to improve care for Veterans.
- Learn more about how VA's Quality Enhancement Research Initiative Virtual Specialty Care Program is working to deliver and evaluate technology facilitated specialty care to rural-dwelling Veterans.